General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Tire dillemma - size vs cost vs ride/handling

Search this Thread

Old March 11th, 2023, 07:27 AM

Tire dillemma - size vs cost vs ride/handling

Greetings all- been grappling with this for a while..now i'm up against the wall, as my bride won't ride with me for any distance on my old (I mean OLD) tires, and I do want to get back to Nats this year.
Here goes:
1974 Cutlass Salon- 'correct' tire is/was HR78-15 (WITH 3/4" WHITEWALL) for (if it had been original) 455, which I've read equates to either 235-70R15 (which I currently have Uniroyal Tiger Paws) or 225-75R15. 235-70 choices available that I've found: Chinese brand that is affordable but with unknown quality/performance, or Coker Michelins (at $600 EACH). I believe there is a Coker BFG available, but it has a 1 1/2" WW (which doesn't seem like much difference til you see it). Apparently more choices are available in the 225-75R15, but not thoroughly checked yet.
I'm after stock appearance (hence the 3/4" WW). Engine is an upgraded 455, but not built for racing/strip. Not a lot of miles, but I have done our local DVOC show a mile away, to several 8-11 hr runs to Nats at 80+/- MPH 'cruising' speed.
I love the appearance/handling of the TP 235s, but It's been suggested that the Chinese tire, though very reasonably priced, may be junk, and the Michelins, crazy priced, may rot in a couple years. (We're talking a '74 here, not a '68 H/O. Realistically, paying 25% the value of the car for tires seems a bit much.) But the greater possible availability of the 225-75s may be worth a change (?)
Uniroyal started making 3/4" WW again recently, but only up to 215s.
I've been told the 225's will be a big difference in handling, if not ride. It's a big (for an 'intermediate'), heavy (2 tons) car. Not looking for the cheapest option, but a correct tire that will last a while, while giving decent handling/overall performance.
Appreciate any/all input, and hope to see you in Dayton, if not at the DVOC show in May!
Thanks !

Old March 11th, 2023, 07:52 AM
Rocket Renegade!

My problem is a little different than yours -- I have trouble finding anything at all that isn't a BFG T/A for a 14" wheel. A lot of people on CO seem to be gravitating towards Cooper Cobras though, and I'm going to try these (if they're still available) when my current brown-letter T/As age out in a couple of years. A quick Google search tells me that they're available in a 225-70-R15 at around $140 a skin. Not bad, and while I have no personal experience with them (yet) people in the forums seem to like them. The only downside is I don't believe they're available in a WW (at least I didn't see any) so you'll have to turn them inside out and go for the cop car look.
Old March 11th, 2023, 07:57 AM

I would buy the cheap ones, they probably will perform fine and I'm guessing they have a warrantee? I agree the whitewalls are important on that car- looks "Cheap" without. In 10 years if you still have car you will be sayin' "Geez my tires are in great shape but are 10 years old and I have to replace them again!".
Old March 11th, 2023, 08:31 AM

I'd look for the 225 70 15 in something other than made in China. Not the same situation but tires made in China are frowned upon on trailers/RV's due to failures.

Good luck!!!
Old March 11th, 2023, 09:02 AM

Chances are I'll still have the car in ten years..if I'm still around..lol
bought her in '77..
thanks for your input.. as noted though, i do have a concern about reliability at..somewhat higher than posted ..speeds..
Old March 11th, 2023, 09:20 AM

Did you review Diamondback Cassic tires made in Conway, SC. Summit Racing may now carry them.

Post-War - : (dbtires.com)
Old March 11th, 2023, 11:09 AM

their website shows a couple wide whitewalls and a redline in the 225 75, and 1 wide white and a redline in 235 70
Old March 11th, 2023, 11:16 AM

oops..checked further on website.. will have to 'call' for 'custom' made..
we shall see..
thx
Old March 11th, 2023, 11:21 AM

Yes —he applies the decorative side walls on the tires that you select.
Old March 11th, 2023, 11:56 AM
Past Administrator

You mentioned Michelins. I can comment that I really like them on my work truck but that may be a whole different deal, apples to oranges thing. In general I feel comfortable recommending them though.
Old March 11th, 2023, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by BangScreech4-4-2
My problem is a little different than yours -- I have trouble finding anything at all that isn't a BFG T/A for a 14" wheel. A lot of people on CO seem to be gravitating towards Cooper Cobras though, and I'm going to try these (if they're still available) when my current brown-letter T/As age out in a couple of years. A quick Google search tells me that they're available in a 225-70-R15 at around $140 a skin. Not bad, and while I have no personal experience with them (yet) people in the forums seem to like them. The only downside is I don't believe they're available in a WW (at least I didn't see any) so you'll have to turn them inside out and go for the cop car look.
I have Cooper Cobras on this car and 2018 BF/Gs on this car. I've found no difference in road noise (fair), dry traction (pretty good), or wet traction (acceptable without committing idiocy) around. I have seen two BFG failures, neither of them mine. Edit: The Chevy rides on 15s. I believe they are 225/75/15s. The Olds is 220/70/14s, I believe.

Last edited by Koda; March 11th, 2023 at 02:19 PM.
Old March 11th, 2023, 02:10 PM
Administrator

What were the Chinese tires that had white walls? Some of those are actually good.
Old March 12th, 2023, 04:27 AM
Lansing built

I agree with taking a look at those Chinese tires. I have put on 5 sets of tires on all types of cars/trucks.in the last 4 years. For instance, I put on my very nice ultra low mile Z34 are Sentury. Very happy except the wiggle I get on grooved pavement. I put Kelley Edge on my Alero, price and less segments on sidewall (great tire) I used Michelins on our daughters Cruze (super pleased) I used Cooper Cobras on my 70 Supreme due to the issues on BFG yellow letters (good tires) I just put a set of Firestones Destination LE3 OWL's on my daily Silverado 4x4 90 days ago (bang for the buck) almost hardly used my 4wd because they are biting so well. Also has a wiggle on grooved pavement but I heard that already but it has a helix tread so stands to reason.

Pat
Old March 12th, 2023, 06:15 AM

Hello Bill, check out HanKook for a whitewall, they just might have one in the size you want. I have Cooper Cobra GT's on my 79 Hurst Olds, great tire. I have the HanKooks now on my blue 79 Calais. If you were at the nationals last year, I had just had them put on just before the nats, and during that series of rainstorms we had there, the storm took the blue coating off for me. They were great on Nashville Motor Speedway, what a way to test out a new tire. I am happy to report, it's been a while since that show, and the whitewalls have stayed white. And the tire overall has been great.

I have Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP II's on my black/silver 79 Brougham, that are about to age out. I will be replacing them with the HanKooks. The Uniroyals were stinkers regarding the whitewall, they turned brown and stayed brown no matter what I did. You may be in the same boat I am in as I drive these cars alot, so I'm willing to go with a 3/4 whitewall.
Old March 12th, 2023, 06:26 AM

Bill, I just checked Tire Rack, HanKook does make the size you want/need with that 3/4 inch whitewall. They are made in South Korea. Or so they say. I'll say again I like this tire on my 79 Calais, no complaints here.

I hear IronMan tires makes a wider whitewall but I've also heard they turn Yellow after a while.
Old March 12th, 2023, 01:24 PM

Thanks all- the 3/4" whitewall seems to be the hard part..
Blue-tried tire rack- they don't have 1974 year on their list.. .. I see they have a 225 75 Hankook but couldn't confirm WW.. saw no ww 235 70....also saw a Nexen 225 75 somewhere.. i have no recent experience w tires so i don't know what brands have good reps..
My tiger paws are way old.. never had trouble w whitewall browning.. Wesleys Bleechwhite always works..
Dan-My tech brother says michelins don't hold up, at least for my use....he would know..v
(other) Eric-the ones i found are Vitour Galaxy.. hate buying sight unseen though..esp if the WW ends up wrong..
Old March 12th, 2023, 01:42 PM
Administrator

I’ve never heard of those you mentioned. Michelin is a great tire, Mastercraft and Hancook are decent tires for passenger cars.
Old March 12th, 2023, 02:51 PM

Finding the right WW and corresponding tire size in the P metric in comparable older 14" tire sizes is hard. There is a poor selection of tires available in tires available for "big cars". Tire diameters are the first most important factor to keep the speedometer accuracy. Then it comes down to tire tread width, so you don't rub when turning. The other thing is having a "foreign" sounding brand name on an Oldsmobile.
Old March 12th, 2023, 03:45 PM

225/75/15 Phantom A/P

I got some 225/65/15 Phantom A/P at Discount Tire for under $400 cash mounted and balanced (including spare). This is on a 77 VC w/403, AC and all the “heavy duty” factory options (weight).

The tires themselves are quite good. Hold solid pressure when sat for a while, balance is still good and performance is better than the car needs.

I run this car on the highways at speed and trust the tires 100%. In town I drive it like a stolen rental. No white letter or whitewall option that I see though. Speedometer is dead on.

link: https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/phantom-a-p/p/32677

Last edited by liquify33; March 12th, 2023 at 03:50 PM.
Old March 13th, 2023, 06:31 AM
Jeff

I know you're looking for 15 inch, but when I bought my Hankook's in the 215/75/14 size with the whitewall for my Starfire, I went thru Walmart (Tire Rack did not, and still does not, have them). Check Walmart's website for 15's with the whitewall.
Old March 13th, 2023, 10:14 AM

I have 205/70R15 Ironman white walls on my 96 98. Eventually, I'd like to put white walls on my 71 98 too, but it takes a J78, or 235/75R15.

The Ironman tires are from China, but they look pretty good and I like the price. If price is a concern for you too then I'd recommend them (regardless of their origins).

Old March 13th, 2023, 11:49 AM

Bill,
My Wife's Riviera has Coopers on it and they have been great. They probably have 40k miles on them and are still in decent shape. She was driving it to work daily before she retired in 2019 and still drives it a few times a week. I have been thinking about tires for it and have the same dilemma with the white walls. Her car has wire wheels and it would look terrible with black wall tires. If Coopers are still available thats probably what I will go with. We had Michelins on it in the past and they were absolutely the best but they stopped making white walls

Last edited by BillK; March 13th, 2023 at 01:14 PM.
Old March 13th, 2023, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Bill G
Thanks all- the 3/4" whitewall seems to be the hard part..
Blue-tried tire rack- they don't have 1974 year on their list.. .. I see they have a 225 75 Hankook but couldn't confirm WW.. saw no ww 235 70....also saw a Nexen 225 75 somewhere.. i have no recent experience w tires so i don't know what brands have good reps..
My tiger paws are way old.. never had trouble w whitewall browning.. Wesleys Bleechwhite always works..
Dan-My tech brother says michelins don't hold up, at least for my use....he would know..v
(other) Eric-the ones i found are Vitour Galaxy.. hate buying sight unseen though..esp if the WW ends up wrong..
Didn't get them from TereRack but I recently put some Hankook 235/75/15 on my Toro, happy with them. Was looking for a slimmer w/w as well.

Old March 13th, 2023, 06:29 PM

Unfortunately, the 235 75s are too tall..they are readily available from several sources, although the whitewall may vary (why the 1 1/2" whitewall? I don't remember them, but..a am old)
I haven't found any coopers with a whitewall, although most of my searches are by tire size.
I did see the Ironman somewhere..maybe even in 235 70R15. May look into further.
Thanks all for the info..the search continues...
Old March 14th, 2023, 03:20 AM

Bill, the problem with the BFG's (and maybe others) is the white letters actually turned yellow- not cuz they were dirty but cuz the color had aged and turned yellow- no amount of scrubbing can return them to white. So hopefully that doesn't happen to the whitewalls of whatever tire you choose... I have BFG's on my Olds that are a little yellow- of course perfect shape- like new but bought in 2007- UGH!
Old March 14th, 2023, 06:18 AM

The Ironmans on my 96 98 look good a year later. I always garage park my Olds and I've probably put over 1000 miles on it in the past year. I just use BlecheWhite.

Old March 14th, 2023, 07:41 AM

Back when I had the 63 D88, I got Mastercraft white walls. They're owned by Cooper, just throwing another option out there.
I have Mastercrafts on my truck and the 442. They're at a great price point and good performing tires. The problem I have found is that they get hard with age. That's not a good characteristic if the vehicle sits a lot.
Old March 14th, 2023, 09:16 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
I have BFG's on my Olds that are a little yellow- of course perfect shape- like new but bought in 2007- UGH!
Those are aged out. You should be looking to replace very soon.