General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Thoughts on Cruising Central Ave. (Phx, AZ)

Search this Thread

Old October 9th, 2011, 01:08 AM

Thoughts on Cruising Central Ave. (Phx, AZ)

Growing up here in 'the valley' a teen rite of passage was cruising Central Avenue in Phoenix. It's the main drag running north and south separating the affluent east side from the blue collar west side. Notwithstanding the 70's gas shortages, kids from all over town flocked to Central Avenue to see, be seen, and hang out just for the fun of it.

Flash forward 40 years and Central Avenue in Phoenix was once again the place to be on a Saturday night. I'm not sure how many annual cruises have taken place here, but tonight's scene was straight out of American Graffiti. Except now everyone has beverage coolers and folding lawn chairs in their trunks. Crowds lined the main artery from 2 this afternoon until 9 tonight clogging traffic for hours in between. Some folks even had gallon jugs of water (or bleach) ready to assist any driver inclined to thrill the crowd with a smokey burn out. I'm sure by tomorrow morning the proof will still be on the pavement.

People parked anywhere they could find a spot, just like they did as teens to watch the cars pass by. Cruisers representing every make, model and mode of transportation made the pass south, then north the same way they did so many years ago. Late into the evening you could still hear the wheeze of blowers, and the guttural roar of a wide open 4 barrel carb as tires squealed away into the night. Back in the day, we were just teenagers blissfully unaware of life's struggles and hassles, and for a few hours tonight... I forgot about mine too.

Last edited by oldsonharmont; October 9th, 2011 at 01:17 AM.
Old October 9th, 2011, 08:02 AM
1974 DELTA 88

Sounds like a blast! Got any pics?
Old October 9th, 2011, 09:40 AM

Sounds like a great time. I spent a few years in Paradise Valley. Nice area.
Old October 9th, 2011, 09:55 AM

That is awsome. I'm sure it was a blast.
Old October 9th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

A friend of mine grew up in Phoenix and recounted cruising Central in the 1970s. He also pointed out that traffic lights sync'd for 35 MPH are also sync'd for 70 MPH...
Old October 9th, 2011, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
A friend of mine grew up in Phoenix and recounted cruising Central in the 1970s. He also pointed out that traffic lights sync'd for 35 MPH are also sync'd for 70 MPH...
I kike the way this guy thinks. We figured that out in two of our local cruising areas in the 60's as well. Man those were fun times
Old October 9th, 2011, 12:45 PM

Sorry guys, no pics from last night... but next time I will take some. There was literally too much going on to do it justice in a few photos. We picked up our first few cars when we turned onto Central at Glendale. The first decent crowd had gathered just north of Camelback Road. By the time we hit Indian School traffic was at a complete standstill. I had an early 50's lowrider hopping behind me, and a Catalina ambulance ala Ghostbusters a few cars back. There was a rat rod running a 351 and 3 deuces next to me that had to shut down every time traffic stopped. The weirdest thing by far was an Isuzu delivery truck rigged up as a rolling boom box. A lot of hot Mopars looked ready to race, and all the cops could do was just sit back and watch. The burn out action was hot and heavy in front of the old Park Central Mall (now a business park), and McDonalds was packed as usual. We made a pit stop at a Quiktrip, and got stuck there until the Olds cooled off enough to start back up. (time for a new starter, I guess) As we sipped our soft drinks, you could still hear all the action just a few blocks away. I'll definitely be back next year with my camera and a new starter in the Olds.

Last edited by oldsonharmont; October 9th, 2011 at 12:49 PM.