General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Are there higher quality Motor Mounts available?

Search this Thread

Old April 27th, 2017, 05:59 AM

Are there higher quality Motor Mounts available?

I have been searching endlessly on here and Google trying to find a better option than the Anchor 2261 motor mount. Does anyone know of a higher quality mount that is available? The reason that I ask is I currently have a very tired 350 in my '69 Cutlass. When I bought the car I came to realize that the passenger motor mount was completely shelled out and the drivers side was cracked 90% of the way through. I purchased two Anchor 2261 mounts and installed them last spring. They have one summer of driving on them totaling less than 2,000 miles (the motor was on it's last leg, so was treated very nicely). I have pulled the motor for a 455 swap and found that one of the new mounts is already cracked half way through. With the added torque of the 455, I am hoping to find a better alternative. So far I have only found the Anchor's and Westar's which from what I have read, may just be re-branded Anchors. Any other options out there?
Old April 27th, 2017, 10:48 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Chineasium no doubt... I'd suggest contacting one of the many custom frame/chassis builders. They must have a source. Or look at the custom aftermarket bushing people...here is one.

http://energysuspension.com/products/Motor-Mounts.html
Old April 27th, 2017, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Too the best of my knowledge there are no after market poly mounts for an Olds engine.
Old April 27th, 2017, 12:49 PM

I haven't found any alternatives other than solid mounts from the Olds vendors.

I've only seen 12% (1 out of 8) incorrect manufacture rate of the 2261. That ain't even half bad! Most come from India/SE Asia. Don't think I've seen two from the same country of origin yet. Even got one that said Maid in USA with shelf rust to prove it!
Old April 27th, 2017, 04:10 PM

Chain the motor to the frame mine lasted 30years.
Old April 27th, 2017, 06:29 PM

Yep, they're junk. They also sag and then the fan hits the shroud. I would like to get a high quality set also. I have resolved to just replace the cheap ones every 2 years or so.
Old April 27th, 2017, 08:33 PM

Not that it would help but have you considered using actual 455 motor mounts? I know, they're still Anchor mounts (Anchor 2328) but they are larger in size.

I read an article in Vintage Motorsport magazine a year or two ago and the article was about a resto shop that also "remade/rebuilt" motor mounts. I believe they reused the metal internals but had a rubber vulcanizing setup to handle that part.

I'll try to figure out who it was....can't be cheap to do, that's for sure if they're doing "one off" type mount setups.
Old April 27th, 2017, 08:51 PM

I believe it was these guys that were profiled in the article:

http://www.then-now-auto.com/nors-vu...bber-products/

A outer "mold" would have to be made to hold metal parts in the correct position and deal with the temps and pressures used in the process. Likely NOT a cheap endeavor but they do have a slide show on the site showing the whole process.
Old April 28th, 2017, 05:51 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

I think whoever is making the rubber in general has made it worse. Tires crack, wipers fall apart quickly and belts stretch a ridiculous amount.
Old April 28th, 2017, 09:01 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 70Post
Not that it would help but have you considered using actual 455 motor mounts? I know, they're still Anchor mounts (Anchor 2328) but they are larger in size.
Of course, the OP would need to swap the frame mounts to use the 2328 motor mounts. Also be aware that for 1965-68, Olds used the same 2261-style motor and frame mounts for both BBO and SBO (including the 455 in the 1968 H/O).

Supercars Unlimited is the only vendor I've found who sells mounts that are not the Chinesium 2261/2328 style mounts.
Old April 29th, 2017, 06:36 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 2olds
Boy if someone had suggested the idea to me I might have made a stink face, but I really like the appearance of your aluminum color exhaust manifolds on your engine having seen the results. What did you use for such a clean result?
Old April 29th, 2017, 06:42 AM

Singles and pairs of NOS mounts turn up very often, if you must have old. I don't know where Fusick gets theirs or has them re-vulcanized but their mounts for older Oldsmobile using the two rear mounts where the loads and twisting moment result in shorter mount life seem to hold up at least as well as factory parts. None however new or old seem to last when saturated with hot oil, they get spongy. Perhaps their later mounts use the same process and rubber. Why not call and inquire if their later mounts are new or older or different rubber material and bonding then other new parts.
Old April 29th, 2017, 09:37 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by coldwar
I don't know where Fusick gets theirs
Fusick sells Anchor/Pioneer Chinesium mounts at ten times the RockAuto price. They even come from Fusick in the original Anchor/Pioneer boxes.

I'm frankly a little disappointed at Fusick. Many of their parts are generics and not correct. For example, I just bought their body mount set for my 69 H/O. I paid dearly for it, and specifically asked for the correct mounts, not the generic Chevy mounts. They said, yeah, sure, these are correct. They are not.

Same for the battery box for my 62. The one they handed me was labeled 64-67 Cutlass. It was the larger 10" box, not the correct 8.5". They said "you have to drill new holes".
Old April 29th, 2017, 10:44 AM

Yikes geez changing times. Looks like one set of big car NOS parts house mounts on ebay right now, $90.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-70-Olds...RV44zL&vxp=mtr

Last edited by coldwar; April 29th, 2017 at 10:48 AM.
Old April 29th, 2017, 06:23 PM

those mounts on Ebay do not fit A body. They are for B-C body only (88-98)
Old April 30th, 2017, 07:38 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by davebw31
those mounts on Ebay do not fit A body. They are for B-C body only (88-98)
Yes, those are 65-70 full size only, but first, they are not factory, they are aftermarket (as evidenced by the 2262/2263 part numbers). Worse, despite what the boxes may say, both mounts in the photo are for the SAME SIDE. The correct mounts for these cars are RH/LH. The difference is in the location of the threaded stud. Note that both mounts in the photo have the threaded stud on the same side.
Old April 30th, 2017, 06:08 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

HELLO OP have you investigated the leads I gave you?
Old April 30th, 2017, 07:01 PM
Administrator

They do not make a motor mount for an Oldsmobile
Old May 1st, 2017, 06:19 AM

Everyone, thank you for the replies. The family tied me up for a few days here.

droldsmorland - I have dug through the websites and catalogs of Energy Suspensions and Prothane as well as emailed both of them (still waiting on reply). I have also Googled for hours. No such luck with any of these.

Joe - I am going to reach out to SuperCarsUnlimited today to find out about their mounts. Crossing my fingers on this lead!
Old May 1st, 2017, 12:57 PM

Got a hold of SuperCarsUnlimited. They would not tell me who their vendor is, but they did confirm that the motor mounts that they offer are not the Anchor/Westar/Pioneer ones that I am finding everywhere else. I am going to order a set and find out.

On a side note, I did hear back from Energy Suspensions. They do not offer a polyurethane motor mount for the 68-72 Cutlass, but they do review requests for new mounts that they do not carry monthly and prioritize new releases based on the number of inquiries. They suggested having friends, family members, etc. who are interested in these fill out their online request form to raise the priority. So, I think everyone on here should start requesting these Please follow the link below:

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...p?vehicle=1459
Old May 2nd, 2017, 01:09 AM

I put a set of poly engine mounts on my 65 Coronet and they were so stiff that the whole car would shake. Of course that car had a lumpy cam, etc. But I'm not sure those mounts would be something you would want in a Olds. I wouldn't recommend them if they were available.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Nemesis
Got a hold of SuperCarsUnlimited. They would not tell me who their vendor is, but they did confirm that the motor mounts that they offer are not the Anchor/Westar/Pioneer ones that I am finding everywhere else. I am going to order a set and find out.

On a side note, I did hear back from Energy Suspensions. They do not offer a polyurethane motor mount for the 68-72 Cutlass, but they do review requests for new mounts that they do not carry monthly and prioritize new releases based on the number of inquiries. They suggested having friends, family members, etc. who are interested in these fill out their online request form to raise the priority. So, I think everyone on here should start requesting these Please follow the link below:

Done... I submitted a request to Energy suspension, advising them that two motor mount designs would cover 25 years of Olds engines... we'll see if that would perk up their interest.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 05:17 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
I put a set of poly engine mounts on my 65 Coronet and they were so stiff that the whole car would shake. Of course that car had a lumpy cam, etc. But I'm not sure those mounts would be something you would want in a Olds. I wouldn't recommend them if they were available.
Yes, I would agree, BUT... USA vs chinesium... USA wins EACH and every time harsher ride or not. Maybe put that info in with the request to ES to back off on the durameter....and they can be black vs red. Maybe that will reduce their R&D and manufacturing cost. I'm submitting a request now as well. It's only a matter of time before that stump pullin torque rips the mounts. They are 30 years old.
Old May 4th, 2017, 07:01 PM

Filled out Energy suspensions form, hope it helps.
Old May 5th, 2017, 07:37 AM

I have been searching endlessly on here and Google trying to find a better option than the Anchor 2261 motor mount. Does anyone know of a higher quality mount that is available? The reason that I ask is I currently have a very tired 350 in my '69 Cutlass. When I bought the car I came to realize that the passenger motor mount was completely shelled out and the drivers side was cracked 90% of the way through. I purchased two Anchor 2261 mounts and installed them last spring. They have one summer of driving on them totaling less than 2,000 miles (the motor was on it's last leg, so was treated very nicely). I have pulled the motor for a 455 swap and found that one of the new mounts is already cracked half way through. With the added torque of the 455, I am hoping to find a better alternative. So far I have only found the Anchor's and Westar's which from what I have read, may just be re-branded Anchors. Any other options out there?

Try calling Steele Rubber products. They advertised that they rebuild motor mounts. They repop wheather strip and other rubber items
Old July 8th, 2017, 08:09 AM

I'm looking for a better quality set as well (and a transmission mount to go with them)!

Did you ever make your order from SuperCarsUnlimited? What did you end up with?

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I'm frankly a little disappointed at Fusick. Many of their parts are generics and not correct.
Amen! I was always a huge fan of Fusick, probably because they were better than OPGI! But lately I've been pretty disappointed: from a temp sender that was dead when it got to me, to incorrect wire harness straps, and even an incorrect battery tray with "PARTS PLACE" stamped on the under side!

In all fairness they did replace the battery tray free of charge, I think I had to pay for return shipping though.
Old February 1st, 2018, 06:06 AM

How'd the supercars motor mounts turn out?
Old February 1st, 2018, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Hoffman2099
How'd the supercars motor mounts turn out?

See this thread for the "results" on the Supercars mounts....they were no different from the aftermarket big block mounts sold by everyone else:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ounts-fit.html
Old February 1st, 2018, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 83hurstguy
Done... I submitted a request to Energy suspension, advising them that two motor mount designs would cover 25 years of Olds engines... we'll see if that would perk up their interest.
Originally Posted by classicmuscle.442
Filled out Energy suspensions form, hope it helps.
Anyone ever hear back from Energy Suspensions?
Old February 2nd, 2018, 05:57 AM

No, I think I got a generic "thanks for contacting us" immediately after my submission, but nothing after that.
Old February 2nd, 2018, 06:52 AM

The mounts I bought from Supercars were superior to the Anchor mounts, easy install.
I like the Energy Suspension trans mount.
Old February 3rd, 2018, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by dc2x4drvr
The mounts I bought from Supercars were superior to the Anchor mounts, easy install.
I like the Energy Suspension trans mount.
Did it say were the mounts were made?
USA
China
Old February 3rd, 2018, 11:45 AM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by 2olds
^^^^^^^This . I remember a factory recall on Chevys in the late sixties where motor mounts were breaking and the throttle linkage jamming , causing "runaways".
We ran a short piece of cable around the upper "A" arm shaft and bolted both ends to the engine .
Old February 3rd, 2018, 12:15 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
^^^^^^^This . I remember a factory recall on Chevys in the late sixties where motor mounts were breaking and the throttle linkage jamming , causing "runaways".
We ran a short piece of cable around the upper "A" arm shaft and bolted both ends to the engine .
That recall is the whole reason why Olds changed the BBO motor mounts for the 1969 model year to incorporate the interlocking feature. Prior to that point, motor mounts were simply two pieces of metal with rubber molded in between. The driver's side was in tension, which is why it would break. With the solid rod throttle linkages of the 1960s, this caused a runaway throttle. GM also changed to cable style throttle linkage to preclude this problem. The initial design of the interlocking mount was physically larger than before, which is why we have countless posts about motor mounts.
Old February 4th, 2018, 09:52 AM

An Olds buddy used these OPGI mounts, claimed they looked OEM..
https://www.opgi.com/cutlass/1971/en...ckets/RMM2328/
Old February 4th, 2018, 10:01 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by dc2x4drvr
An Olds buddy used these OPGI mounts, claimed they looked OEM..
https://www.opgi.com/cutlass/1971/en...ckets/RMM2328/
One should be skeptical that OPGI uses the same 2328 part number as Anchor and Pioneer. At least they correctly show application starting with 1969 and not 1968.
Old February 4th, 2018, 12:22 PM

My friends 69 Cutlass S is going through a quality restoration.
There was only one supplier that had the correct body mounts and hardware.
Everyone said that they had the correct mounts but when there product arrived it was the same generic Chevy mounts.
Inline tube had the correct body mounts and hardware.
I'm not saying all their products are correct !!
But in this case they were the only ones, as the build progresses I will share more results.

Last edited by Bernhard; February 4th, 2018 at 12:26 PM.
Old February 4th, 2018, 12:28 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Bernhard
I'm not saying all their products are correct !!
But in this case they were the only ones, as the build progresses I will share more results.
Yes, ILT has two versions of the body mounts, the Chevy-style and the correct ones. The latter are priced accordingly. I purchased a set from Fusick that were supposed to be "correct". They are not.
Old February 4th, 2018, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Yes, ILT has two versions of the body mounts, the Chevy-style and the correct ones. The latter are priced accordingly. I purchased a set from Fusick that were supposed to be "correct". They are not.
That was one of the company's that got there mounts returned.