General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Teepo's New Power Steering Hoses

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Cutlass Lover

It IS never ending, lol!!!! Allan R.... you make me laugh!!!
Old May 13th, 2012, 07:04 PM
Cutlass Lover

Rob.... Would you post a close up pic of your battery cable tie setup so I can see, please? I got the tie thingy on Friday. I'd appreciate it!! Also, a pic of your manual page..... mine does not have a page 113 for some reason. It has 6-1 -112, 114, but no 113.

Last edited by cutlassgal; May 13th, 2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old May 13th, 2012, 07:21 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Sandy, here's a link that has your missing page http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/membe...l_Sect_6.1.pdfDon't sweat bullets, these A body AMs have lots of pages not shown.
Old May 14th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Cutlass Lover

Thank you Allan R. I see it now. Looking at the other pages, I don't think her positive cable is 'correct' now. I believe that cardboard tube thingy is kinda laying at the back of the engine block - it's not attached to the block. Now I need to see a picture of that correctly mounted on a car so I know... Arrrggghhhh........
Old May 14th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Thank you Allan R. I see it now. Looking at the other pages, I don't think her positive cable is 'correct' now. I believe that cardboard tube thingy is kinda laying at the back of the engine block - it's not attached to the block. Now I need to see a picture of that correctly mounted on a car so I know... Arrrggghhhh........
On the 72, that 'tube' helps route the cable back to the starter without touching hot engine parts. It's not made of cardboard, it's almost like a bakelite product. I know what you're talking about, I had it off my car when I did the front end last year. The tube has a mounting bracket and bolt that mounts to the inside of the frame close to the brake proportioning valve. I'm attaching a pic of mine partway through the rebuild so you can see where it is.

BTW, if there's any grease or tar like build up on the + cable? disconnect the battery, then use some industrial hand cleaner like gojo or zep citrus on a rag to wipe it down. Takes off all the nasty stuff. Finally wipe down with a clean damp cloth. Will look like brand new. Its tougher to do when the cable is attached to the inner liner though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1974.jpg (75.4 KB, 8 views)
Old May 15th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Cutlass Lover

Why oh why do all our engine pics in these 72's look different?? They're all 72's. I don't get it.... Well I checked hers yesterday over at the cruise in, and the tube is securly attached with a bracket. Her tube goes 'sideways' though.... your's looks like it's straight on?
Old May 15th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Maybe something to do with production plants? Mine was Lansing, yours was Freemont? Mine doesn't have AC, yours does.. Could be anything like that I guess. Ask Rob, he has some pics of his when he did the front end on Lady. Maybe his matches your car - I think they were built at the same plant and both have AC. Just a thought.

Anyway, by now you should be aware that the only thing consistent about GM is their overall lack of consistency
Old May 15th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Cutlass Lover

Lol! That is true.... well I'm not gonna be worrying about it, lol.