General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

tax on collector cars we owe the goverment

Search this Thread

Old April 9th, 2011, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Higgins
In Michigan, license plate fees are considered personal property tax based on value and therefore are tax deductable. Mototcycles, trailers and boats are not because the fee is base on weight or size or flat fee, not value.
The most unfair and uncontestible taxes are property taxes. Why should people who don't own property be able to vote on millage increases? The assessors word is law too. They actually increased my property taxes and values this year even though I had a professional appraisal done showing my values declined by half over the last 3 years. Like they say, you can't fight City Hall.
Hey look I live in the Soprano state - NJ!!! On top of having the most corrupt politicians we have the highest taxes. Perhaps the one tax we have that is lower then most states is the tax on gasoline, but for that we have to put up with pollution belching fuel refineries.

I am not sure what you meant by property tax, but in NJ a property tax is the real estate tax. And absolutely that is the most unconscionable and unfair tax there is. It is unfair to rich and poor alike. Ostensibly it is to pay for municipal services and schools. But, does a person with an expensive house use more services then someone in a low cost home? Should the person in a low paying job or a person that loses a job still be obligated to pay a tax that is not self adjusting based on circumstances? A tax based on an arbitrary estimate by a person/assessor that has a motivation to asses high and that once done is not automatically adjusted for market conditions - is not fair at all.
Old April 9th, 2011, 09:20 AM

Property tax, real estate tax, same thing I'm sure, just depends on where you live what it's called. The only tax I consider fair to everyone is a sales tax. When you make a purchase you pay a tax. The rich will pay more tax because they spend more.
People who make money through illegal activity will pay tax. Do away with all other taxes. No property-real estate-taxes, no income taxes.
Higgins
Old April 9th, 2011, 10:48 AM

pickpocket

Originally Posted by made in the usa
http://www.saac.com/files/newsletter...s-04-01-11.pdf

Has anyone else seen this one floating around its a bunch of bs.
Must be nice that everyone that owns a classic car is rich. No one told me i was rich should of retired long ago.
Chuck Schumer is nothing more than a pickpocket in a suit.....
Old April 9th, 2011, 02:05 PM
bil

I agree with coltsneckbob,those with nothing get to vote tax raises on all.As much as I don't like it,you have to remember that renters have landlords that pay,and part of the rent should cover,but around here,not enough as they cost.And with the decline in property values,there is no drop in taxed value.However,if everyones taxed value dropped by 1/3,they would just raise the tax rate.The same amount would have to be raised.The only way to stop this is to stop p1ssing away tax money like it is free.And that ain't going to happen with the present system. ---bil