General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Started the Cutlass today

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2011, 03:25 PM

Started the Cutlass today

After a slumber since the beginning of December I started the Cutlass today. Gave it a pump and cranked for about 15 to 20 seconds. Car fired up and ran very smooth. I ran it for about 15 minutes. I may have a radiator leak or lower hose leak. If it's the radiator I'll remove it and take the radiator to a shop and reinstall. Otherwise Cutlass ran beautiful. Could be April before I drive it. the streets are still a mess.

Last edited by Destructor; March 7th, 2011 at 03:30 AM.
Old March 6th, 2011, 03:36 PM

Sux about the weather there... Over here in TX, it is still tops-down temperature!
Do check the hose first - hopefully that is the problem.
Old March 6th, 2011, 03:50 PM
same but different

I thought about taking it out for a ride but no...maybe next weekend. Roads are pretty clean here, waiting on warmer days.
Old March 6th, 2011, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Sux about the weather there... Over here in TX, it is still tops-down temperature!
Do check the hose first - hopefully that is the problem.
x2 on the rad. Check the clamps, as they may work themselves loose just a bit. I usually go through all the clamps in the spring just to make sure everything is good and snug.

We are getting closer! I was going to fire mine up today, but we got some snow Saturday night, so that kind of killed the enthusiasm....
Old March 7th, 2011, 03:42 AM

The snow is nearly gone from some warmer sunny days and it rained so the roads are mostly salt free for now but there are pot holes everywhere, sand and other debris plus some huge snow storage piles which put filthy water over some of the roads. March tends to be windy around here so there is a lot of sand and dust kicked up, no sense driving through all that crap. Just the threat of freezing wet roads and the salt trucks will be out again.
Old March 7th, 2011, 04:23 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

I had my car running in the last couple weeks also. Roads here are still covered with white salt residue and we recieved about 4 inches of snow this last weekend.

NW Indiana

same story,pumped a couple times and fired right up then purred like a kitten man,I wanted to drive it
Old March 7th, 2011, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Destructor
The snow is nearly gone from some warmer sunny days and it rained so the roads are mostly salt free for now but there are pot holes everywhere, sand and other debris plus some huge snow storage piles which put filthy water over some of the roads. March tends to be windy around here so there is a lot of sand and dust kicked up, no sense driving through all that crap. Just the threat of freezing wet roads and the salt trucks will be out again.
I hate the snow storage piles. Didn't know thats what they are called, very good! Its even hard to keep the every day cars clean. If it gets above 35 or so I will wash the cars in the garage, but then you take them out and within two minutes they look like crap again....
Old March 8th, 2011, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Destructor
After a slumber since the beginning of December I started the Cutlass today. Gave it a pump and cranked for about 15 to 20 seconds. Car fired up and ran very smooth. I ran it for about 15 minutes. I may have a radiator leak or lower hose leak. If it's the radiator I'll remove it and take the radiator to a shop and reinstall. Otherwise Cutlass ran beautiful. Could be April before I drive it. the streets are still a mess.
I'm not too far, I live in westborough Destructor. I started mine up a couple weeks back and let it run for a half an hour or so. I noticed the coolant line running to the back of the intake was leaking. When they sit for a while, thinks do tend to leak, sadly.

The roads out by you still bad? I was looking today as I was driving to work, they are pretty clear out by me, if we had another good rain storm, It'd feel comfortable taking it out.

You a member of the GMO?
Old March 8th, 2011, 04:51 PM

The roads are mostly clear of salt around here, I finally cleaned my daily driver. This weekend if I have time I'll see just where my coolant is leaking, either way I probably won't have it out until April. I spend the weekends at the girlfriend's so my time with the Cutlass is now less.

I'm not a member of GMO, what does it stand for? I assume something Olds.
Old March 9th, 2011, 06:22 PM

Yup
My planned launch is the weekend after st pats day. The list of planned repairs is long. But I do need the snow covered,salt filled puddles, pot holed, third world roads clean before I can take it for a ride. I am having the rear window pulled so I can repair the package shelf replaced...I have a small leak in the rear window.The fueal pump and the timing chain cover gasket replacement are the big repairs on my list. I also have my original newly rebuilt radio waiting for an install. I can't wait to drive the 64 with real music playing.
Old March 9th, 2011, 06:22 PM

Yup
My planned launch is the weekend after st pats day. The list of planned repairs is long. But I do need the snow covered,salt filled puddles, pot holed, third world roads clean before I can take it for a ride. I am having the rear window pulled so I can repair the package shelf replaced...I have a small leak in the rear window.The fueal pump and the timing chain cover gasket replacement are the big repairs on my list. I also have my original newly rebuilt radio waiting for an install. I can't wait to drive the 64 with real music playing.
Old March 10th, 2011, 03:42 AM

Last spring my Cutlass had the rear window removed and sealed. I had a leak at the top. It was a pleasant surprise to discover that the entire window channel was rust free. The channel was cleaned coated and the window reinstalled. This spring I hope to replace the somewhat mickey moused duel exhaust with a new one, though the exhaust that came with the car 11 years ago still hasn’t rusted out. I’m at 78,000 miles so a timing chain replace is in my future, maybe next year.

Last edited by Destructor; March 10th, 2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old March 10th, 2011, 02:45 PM

I'm dying to uncover mine and start it for the first time since late October.
Old March 10th, 2011, 04:44 PM

I fell guilty starting mine everyday now!
Old March 15th, 2011, 04:05 PM

I finally started mine yesterday after the first five pumps and BOY does it just like it did the last day i started it
Old March 16th, 2011, 07:04 AM

So tempted to start it this weekend...but weather calls for rain. The roads in Minn. are still salt and slush covered so I will hold off another week. I will be giving it a interior detailed cleaning and detailing the engine compartment .
Lets go global warming!!
Old March 16th, 2011, 07:18 AM

I will hopefully get mine out this weekend, I still have a colant leak to attend too. At minimum I have to replace the lower hose. As long as I can get everything in order before Earth Day so I can cruise around aimlessly. I will also drive my other two V8 powered vehicles on Earth Day.
Old March 19th, 2011, 11:02 AM

I took the Cutlass out for it's first run this year, about a 10 mile circle around the area. She ran beautifully. My radiator is fine, leaky lower hose connection though it's time to replace the lousy universal lower hose. I put her back to sleep before it started to sprinkle.
Old March 19th, 2011, 02:13 PM

Sunny today, woke up the Starfire and let her run for 20 minutes. I wanted to take her for a drive but she's too dusty from setting in the barn, will have to wait till I can wash her.
Old March 20th, 2011, 07:21 AM

I took the cover off the Cutlass last Sunday for the first time since November. It started right up. I backed it out of the garage between the snow banks and let it run for 20 minutes. I thought about taking it for a ride but the roads still had salt residue and puddles all over from melting snow. Today it is raining and hopefully the roads will get washed off some and more of the snow will melt. Today is the 1st day of spring and I am getting anxious to get on the road again.
Old March 20th, 2011, 08:29 AM

It was 48 and very sunny yesterday and we played 18 holes of Ice Golf for our snowmobile club fundraiser, thought we could get the Olds out in the sun today but woke to more snow. Did put the trickle charge on it during the winter and it did start but now to we have to wait.