General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Spring Carlisle!

Search this Thread

Old April 23rd, 2015, 06:26 PM

I will be there on Sat. Hope to meet some of you guys.
Old April 23rd, 2015, 06:47 PM

Got back a little while ago. Wow a cold one, I had gloves on all day and a hood. There were more clouds, temps in the 40's, little sun and an occasional sprinkle but still better than work! No real finds for me, made a purchase at Fusick,s and met with Tweed and an Olds vender I always see. I would say it was a typical Carlisle event and very few Oldsmobiles for sale as well.
Old April 26th, 2015, 07:44 AM
Old(s) Fart

Got back late last night from the first annual WINTER Carlisle. Saw snowflakes on both Thursday and Friday mornings. Spent three nights in near freezing temps in a camper with no heat. The wind on Wed-Fri really beat you up and trashed all three pop-up canopies that we brought.

Possibly one of the best Carlisle events I've been to ever!

Yeah, it was cold and crappy on Thursday, and sparsely attended, but Friday was amazing. I do believe they must have sold out vendor spaces, because unlike the last few years, I only saw a handful of empty spaces, and last minute problems do come up. You couldn't even walk the aisles on Friday because there were so many people there. Even Saturday was great. The first annual Classic Olds Happy Hour was sparsely attended (is it THAT hard to give away beer???), but I did get to see Chessrown, Convertcrazed, and met up with Paladin31. I'm going to try to make this a regular meet-up, so plan on doing this again in the fall.

Definitely put the hurt on the bank account this time. The cash advance service that they offer in Building T is like free crack. I finally bought the correctly date-coded OLDSMOBILE W455 intake that I need for my 70. 11-11-69 date code for a 12B car. As they say on the seafood restaurant menus, I paid "Market Price". Stay tuned for my sale of the 71-72 intake that I had been using previously.

Among other interesting news is the availability of new front fender patch panels that are both thicker gauge and correctly formed. I got these from Autobody Specialties for my 72. These are awesome. Compared to the old, grey, tinfoil fender patches that were previously available, these are much thicker (claimed to be 18 gauge) and the trailing edge appears to be a much better match to the factory contours, especially where the flange bends in and is contoured to clear the leading edge of the door when it opens. I also got a front floor pan for the passenger side (they were out of the driver's side) and it too is noticeably thicker and better formed. Maybe we've turned the corner on the Chinesium patch panels? I've not fitted these up yet (hey, I haven't even unpacked the truck yet), but I'm optimistic. I did give them hell about making inner braces. The one guy that I talked to said that the available Pontiac inner braces will not work on an Olds.

Most of my purchases were tools and supplies (body dollies, epoxy primer) with the intent of getting the 72 patched, painted, and driveable. Scored a Craftsman bottom and middle tool box set for $40 for the pair and a set of the heavy duty car dollies for $80.

I passed on the hovercraft for $12,500, however we did cruise the auction Friday night, and unlike prior years, a high percentage of the cars were sold. There was one 1972 "W-30" with a V-code VIN. Given how rare that is, why screw the car up by making it a "W-30"? Back in the car corral, there was the obligatory 68 442 with incorrect W-36 stripes and a Framingham-built 1970 "W-30". I was impressed by the 1929-ish Olds sedan street rod, until I saw the BBC through the hood vents. I wanted to take home the totally stock 41 Olds coupe, however.

There seem to be more and more Olds parts popping up. The seller with my intake also had a pair of NOS 70-72 Supreme HT factory quarters. There was at least one NOS 71-72 front fender. Tweed had his complete 1967 O.A.I. setup, including core support (just wait until I get a 67 442...).

Let's hope Fall is as well attended as Spring, but with higher temps! Great seeing everyone who did stop by.
Old April 26th, 2015, 08:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

I forgot one other deal I snagged at Carlisle. Auto City Classics had dropped disk brake spindles and matching backing plates for the 64-72 cars for $110 for the set. Those will also go on the 72.