General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Some Rock Auto Tips

Search this Thread

Old July 26th, 2014, 11:38 PM

Some Rock Auto Tips

Maybe for a lot of you this is old news, but I just finished going through all the different listings on Rock Auto possible for a 70 Cutlass and made a few observations that might be of help to the "thrifty" among us. I have been noticing that Rock is adding more parts offered for sale that I have always thought of being proprietary to the a Olds specialty dealers, but they are much harder to find due to all the crap data mapping that has been going on for many years.

1) I suggest when looking for parts for - lets say a 70 442, begin with the F85 application, then the Cutlass, and lastly the Supreme or 442 listings. I found MANY more goodies that way.

2) Also look through all the engines listed as well. Sometimes for some completely mystifying reason the dual trumpet exhaust tips show up under the 4.1/250 six banger listing, but missing in the 442 listing.

3) it is a lot of searching, but look through all the part types offered. For example the Garage Tool section had some specialty nuts and bolts listed as well as the shoulder belt strap hooks that go on the headliner. The dome lens cover I need was not in the dome lens cover, but under another similar listing.

4) The prices are not always better at Rock. I saved 5.00 on my seat back release buttons through Rock, but the headrest escutcheons were more expensive than at TPP.

5) if you know your GM divisional interchanges well, you might try looking things up under, for example, a 70 Chevelle. The repop boxed rear lower control arms do not appear anywhere for a Cutlass, but I got a set a few weeks ago for 113.00 from Rock by looking in the Chevy section.

Last edited by costpenn; July 26th, 2014 at 11:52 PM.
Old July 27th, 2014, 05:11 AM
Administrator

I will also add there is a discount code that will save you additional money if you use it.

Also be cognizant of the fact that your order may be fulfilled from different warehouses increasing shipping costs nullifying any savings over buying the same part/s locally.
Old July 27th, 2014, 07:49 AM
Just an Olds Guy

RA also ships from different warehouses, so double check that at the checkout or you'll pay a lot more for shipping. RA does offer some very good deals As Joe points out, IF you know where to look. Research is your friend on a parts order or selecting a vendor (s).

On a personal note, I found RA's shipping to be very pricy, but that may be because I live across the border.
Old July 27th, 2014, 08:51 AM
Old(s) Fart

The other thing I've found about RA is that their listings are often incomplete. One classic example is motor mounts. Ignoring the fact that Olds motor mount listings are usually wrong anyway, RA doesn't even show mounts for some 1960s Olds applications. If, however, you search by part number and key in the correct number, the mount magically shows up as available. I had the same thing when looking for front end rebuild parts for my 64 Vista. I wanted Moog exclusively, but RA didn't show Moog as available for all of the parts. I was able to find the Moog numbers, searched by P/N, and surprise, they were all available - and at good prices.

Bottom line is DO NOT rely on their on-line catalog for accuracy.
Old July 27th, 2014, 09:05 AM
Old School Olds

Good info guys!