General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Some Input Please....Rebuild Options/Etc....

Search this Thread

Old March 10th, 2012, 08:40 PM

Some Input Please....Rebuild Options/Etc....

Would really appreciate some advice from you guys and gals...68 reads and no input? Here it is again.thanks!

Once I get the body removed, I then am planning on reconditioning the rear end, along with new rear control arm bushings (upper and lower), shocks, springs, axle bumper, new axle bearings and seals, new body bushing , new brake lines/clip kit(what else am I missing?), and need some general guidance and recommendations, please. I have a 72 Cutlass S-Holiday, open. I am assuming (have not taken them out yet) that the axle bearings are pressed on, and will need a machine shop to repress the sleeve, bearings and put new seal on. 1) Do I re-use the bolt-on retainer to the axle hub, or are there new ones? I have looked on-line and can’t seem to match up some. Plan to use an A9-National bearing/sleeve and a #712146 seal. 2) On the control arms-rear upper and lower, are ALL the replacement bushings the SAME size, even the ones in the axle housing? I will need 4-2 piece kits (I assume Moog K5161 will work all around), and understand that the upper control arm bushings are not “normally” replaced (you buy new arms), but…that they can be removed and new ones pressed in? Please advise.
On the body bushings, it looks like there 4 with bolts and two rebounds-each sided (rebounds near rear passenger’s feet area on frame, and one over the rear axle/high trunk area. 3) What kits works for this? I think I need 12 main upper side bushing (4 of these 12 used as rebounds), 8 spacer bushings (lower frame area) and 8 bolts/washers. A 20 piece bushing kit…Is that correct? Whose rubber kit is the best?
Once I get the rear end exposed, not sure what to do about re-conditioning (if needed) the differential. The car was in California most of its life, and has 89K, or 189K miles on it. I think the ratio is 3.09, something slightly different they made only on California cars. Assume there are several steps in overhauling the box, but I am not really capable to do this. What should I look for (in general) after the cover comes off, and/or do first? The car is NOT running, and won’t for a while. I would “hope” that the ring and pinion do not have to be replaced (expensive little items, are they?). There appears to be a master-overhaul kit (pinion bearings/seals/shims), and then if needed, new spider and side gears. Any thoughts on this? Appreciate your input and ideas.... send some restor pcitures soon...its goings slow.
Old March 10th, 2012, 09:37 PM

Hi Steve
I've not done the work your planning, but if you go through the major build threads I believe you'll find some good pictures and details of how other members did that work. One of my favorite ones is oldzy's 1972 Cutlass Supreme. Here's a link to that thread:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...storation.html
Old March 11th, 2012, 11:47 AM

2blu: great link! Hope I have that axle replacements parts correct. Take care...