General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Small Compressors

Search this Thread

Old November 13th, 2013, 09:28 AM

Small Compressors

Does anybody out there use a small compressor in their shop ?What size have you got and do you recommend it? I saw a Husky model in at Home Depot today for $259 which also included a impact gun and wratchet and hose to hook it up.I really don't need a huge one ,not to mention the space it'd take up , but one for blowing up tires ,removing bolts ,lug nuts and tearing apart motors would be good enough.Christmas is coming
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/husk...h-tools/845134
Old November 13th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Mr. Johnson

Cfm usage is what you should be looking at, not the size of the tank itself. Pick an impact and other air tools you would use First and then match the compressor to them.
Old November 13th, 2013, 10:11 AM

I'm anxious to see replies. I have an 80-gal Champion in my car barn, and need a 110V unit for my attached garage. Toughest demand will be for an impact wrench, 5-CFM. Looking for something that won't wake the dead, so probably not an oil-less one.
Old November 13th, 2013, 10:55 AM

I have a Husky oil less 26 gal unit. I bought it several years ago for around $300.

It does well to run my impact, air tires, etc. However, recovery is a little slow when using a die grinder, air blower, etc.

As with most oil less units it is much louder than I'd prefer. All in all though, it does what I need it to.
Old November 13th, 2013, 11:08 AM

Be wary of the chicom models. Many of them (all? Probably) rate their motors by power consumed, not power output. I've got one with a 3hp sticker on it ... motor's no better than 1hp for output.

CH (not a recommendation of the brand) has this nifty little chart showing tools and their average cfm requirements. http://www.cpocampbellhausfeld.com/c...efault,pg.html. Any compressor that doesn't have cfm details for 40psi and 90psi marked right on it doesn't warrant a second look.
Old November 13th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Lansing built

rjohnson442 is correct! Pick out the highest usage of CFM tool that you have and size your compressor accordingly. Bare in mind that you might want to border on the side of caution and get something rated @ 1 CFM higher than your max requirement.

Doing a little home work for you, most 1/2" impacts run 4-5 CFM requirements in order to run properly. Just looking at specs for those units, cheaper brands are using 5.0 CFM where as a Snap-on with 800 lb/ft uses 4.0 CFM.

I use a Snears 22 Gal. oil less style vertical tank rated at 6.4 CFM at 90 PSI. I would look at only the 90 PSI spec myself, I run only MAC or Snap-on tools. I have no issues running my tools.

Pat
Old November 13th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Just an Olds Guy

60 gallon 230V 3 piston single stage. 145 cut out, 110 cut in with very short duty cycle because of the 3 pistons. 18.5 CFM at 110 psi. Works like a charm. Never runs out of oomph. I use it a lot for sandblasting and impact tools. It's NOT small, but it's VERY effective and it was affordable - 850.00

If you're just going to use it for brad nailing and filling tires? A small 6 gallon pancake compressor will do just fine.
Old November 13th, 2013, 12:08 PM

I've got a 33gal 6cfm sears. When I got it, it was way more than I needed. Now it's marginal for some of the stuff I do.
I keep a 4 gal pancake compressor on my boat, but I make due knowing it's only enough to use for a bolt or 2 with an impact or ratchet. I mostly use it for a stapler though.
The one you're looking at will be ok for small projects, but forget about cutoff wheels, sanders, etc. They use too much for it to keep up. But keep in mind, if your interests/hobbies grow, you'll outgrow that one pretty fast.
Also check sears for specials, they have some pretty good deals on compressors + tools too.
Old November 13th, 2013, 12:13 PM

Hey guys thanks for the responses ,I don't own any air tools as of right now but would like to in the coming year.Princess Auto and Harbour Freight always have a good selection of air compressors and air tools in stock so I would think that I could look at the requirement of the tool and buy a compressor to match .My only concern is space in my one car garage that's attached to my house, so I'd need to find one that meets my needs and doesn't have a huge footprint and is reasonable pricewise.
Old November 13th, 2013, 12:39 PM

Mobility is also a consideration. You can get a lot better sqft ratio when it's never going to move. Mine is (i think) 20G (I know) horizontal .. but it's always on the move between houses and the cottage. Some verticals have limited mobility but they're much more awkward by comparison.
Old November 13th, 2013, 01:09 PM

stay away from harbour freight I bought sever air tools from them in the past and they did not work well at all buy cheap get cheap
Old November 13th, 2013, 02:04 PM

If you plan on staying in the hobby a good compressor will pay for itself. They are also great if you work on other projects around the house. Like others have said look at the cfm out put not the hp rating. Don't just look at price look at there track record.
Old November 13th, 2013, 03:37 PM

If you get an upright model they don't take up much room at all. I have an 80 gallon that works well. I have attached a picture of it without the compressor on it, I was installing new seals at the time of the picture.
As stated the oiless type are loud and will run often when using sanders and grinders.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_2503.jpg (28.9 KB, 21 views)
Old November 13th, 2013, 04:00 PM

Start searching craigs list and selling adds for used 5hp 230 Volt single phase air compressors. they are out there. That's how I found mine several years ago.

As staged the cheap ones do not have true 5hp motors. A 5hp motor by itself costs between 500 to 900 dollars depending on the brand
Old November 13th, 2013, 04:03 PM

Yeah , i was looking thru Kijiji and saw a 110/220 volt Devilbliss compressor for $85 ! Looked old but apparently still works.the guy isn't too far from me might check it out.
Old November 13th, 2013, 04:18 PM
72 Olds CS

another option is electric impact and angle grinder, I have a ingersoll rand plug in impact wrench that works as good as my IR air impact and is quieter and faster to use because you dont have to wait to get up to pressure. The cutoff wheels and sandblasters are air hogs most times i use the plug in angle grinder instead of a CO wheel it has more power and is quieter and quicker to use.

thats said i still use the air tools but the electric stuff is nice as well
Old November 13th, 2013, 04:21 PM

I am a salesman for Kaeser Rotary Screw compressors. They are simply the BMW of compressors (see us on Gas Monkey). If I were operating a shop that depended on air every day, such as a paint and body shop, that is what I would own. However I am a hobbyist and my shop has a nice China Freight 2 hp 33 gal comp. It runs an impact well, blows up tires and such, but it will not keep up with a die grinder, sand blaster or paint gun for very long. Like anything else, weigh what you will use it for and how much you will use it vs the cost. If sandblasting is in your plans nothing less that 20 cfm and min 80 gal tank.
Old November 14th, 2013, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Sampson
... but it will not keep up with a die grinder, sand blaster or paint gun for very long.
You're the first to mention a paint gun. I would consider that very important. I can't imagine owing a compressor and not eventually wanting to use it to paint (even if not the whole car). Most modern paint guns require a lot of volume, and there's also considerations regarding oil, filtering, water removal, etc. Do it once, do it right.
Old November 14th, 2013, 03:51 PM

Nobody mentioned it because he specifically said 'small' ... he also mentioned that space is a consideration. Discussing paint guns would seem decidedly pointless.
Old November 14th, 2013, 08:38 PM

I bought a compressor from Home Depot that is about 30 gallons. I'm not happy with it. I should have got the full sized one. Don't go cheap on a compressor.
Old November 15th, 2013, 05:38 AM
Mr. Johnson

I outgrew my first compressor very fast and wish I spent the extra 200 on a better one. Once you have one you realize just how much stuff you can hook up to one! Noise is a factor with the oil-less ones. To help save my sanity I placed it in the basement and ran a 100 foot hose out to the attached garage with another regulator in the garage to adjust pressure. It's not insulated and I didn't want the tank in there in the (Ohio) winter because I usually forget to drain it.
Old November 15th, 2013, 06:13 AM

I have a 20 gal Puma upright 2 cylinder from Northern Tool. I'd like more size, but space and monetary limitations dictated I stay with a smaller unit. It runs air tools without issues and the best part is it's quiet. I replaced an airless unit with this one and it's a major improvement.

As far as painting, I have a Fuji HVLP turbine system that works great (once I learned to use it).
Old November 15th, 2013, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by 1968_Post
I replaced an airless unit with this one and it's a major improvement.
If your old unit was airless, your new unit must be a very big improvement!
Glad to see we're all talking about CFM requirements. One of the things I hate about looking on CL is most sellers don't know about CFM. Still, I was able to find a used unit similar to Allan's for $450, and I have no complaints. It's nice to shop for air tools when you know your compressor can handle the airflow.

I recently scored a free home built unit. The pump on it must be near 40 years old but it works and is quiet. That's what I like about the older compressors. It's not much of a performer but it's decent for small jobs.
Old November 15th, 2013, 01:24 PM

I bought a less expensive oil less one years ago and returned it the next day. It was just too loud, garage attached to the house and wife was not happy! I spent a bit more and bought a craftsman professional instead and have used it ever since. That was about 10 years ago. Below is the link for comparable one today. It is not huge but I have used it for everything from blowing out sprinkler lines, to running air nailers and impact guns. Never have had a problem and it is so much quieter being a belt driven oil lubed unit.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-professional-25-gallon-horizontal-portable-air-compressor/p-00916475000P?prdNo=14&blockNo=14&blockType=G14&s_t nt=48014:0:0&executed=true&PDP_REDIRECT=false
Old November 15th, 2013, 04:27 PM

jerseyjoe, nice choice. That's just what I need for my attached garage. Would love to find a used one, the used Champion 20-CFM in my detached was only $600.
Old November 25th, 2013, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by 61reoldsman
Yeah , i was looking thru Kijiji and saw a 110/220 volt Devilbliss compressor for $85 ! Looked old but apparently still works.the guy isn't too far from me might check it out.
I just noticed that Princes Auto have an 80 gallon 2 stage going on sale next week for $1200 which is $200 off. If your still looking...

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en//...ampaign=hosted