General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Seatbelt install for a 1959 98

Search this Thread

Old February 25th, 2011, 08:52 AM

Seatbelt install for a 1959 98

Hello, I'm a newb here and I was trying to search for a prior thread about seatbelt installs on older cars. Can anyone find me the link or point me in the right direction? Also, any recommendations on sources to purchase belts? I've located a few on-line, but wanted to know peoples experiences with different companies.

My Ride:

KevinOldsNinetyEight-Feb201124.jpg

KevinOldsNinetyEight-Feb201125.jpg
Old February 25th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

First - that car is beautiful! Love love love the '59's (Lee Petty in Daytona!).

I'm doing the same in a '55. Bought the belts from "Seat Belts Plus" as they have the old school chrome lift flap type releases available with shoulder belts (others have available with laps only) - bought the installation hardware from wescoperformance.com - I liked their 3 point mounting point kit.

Haven't completed yet, but seems like good quality stuff.
Old February 25th, 2011, 11:59 AM

Thanks, I like the prices at seat belt plus. What length did you go with? 60" or 74"?
Old February 25th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Collector of Stray 55's

Ordered the WSCH300's (retractable) and the CH300 (non-retractable). Got the non-retracts for the rear for car-seat issues - seems nobody has ALR's for aftermarket in shoulder belts (ALR = Automatic Locking Retractors - these are the ones like most modern cars where you can fully extend them and then slowly retract and they stay locked...perfect for socking in your 5 year old so they're not boucning all over the place) - these retractables (WSCH300) that I plan to use in front are ELR's (Emergency Locking Retractors) - which lock up at impact. The non retracts have to be manually adjusted each time you 'buckle up' - but I felt for the car seats it was necessary. Finding a good anchor point for the shoulder belts is the hardest part - with your sail panel basically non-existent in that car, if you want rear shoulders you'll have to mount to package shelf - if you're only doing laps you're fine. Don't think you'll have much luck with a mounting point for your fronts either if you wanted shoulders unless you get into the roof rail - could get dicey if you ask me.

I will try to update this post as I progress - hopefully some over the weekend...unfortunately, taking apart my interior to do this led me to new seat upholstery, a new headliner, new windlace, and a floor patch or two...never is simple with 50+ year old cars.
Old February 25th, 2011, 05:57 PM

Thumbs up

Good Luck! A worthy project! I've learned TONS from this short thread already. I've wanted to put a set of Lap Belts at least up front in my '60 Buick Convertible...Rag Tops you have to forget about shoulder ones; but I figure lap-type are better than nothing!

keep us posted on how it goes.

Originally Posted by Olds Dad
Ordered the WSCH300's (retractable) and the CH300 (non-retractable). Got the non-retracts for the rear for car-seat issues - seems nobody has ALR's for aftermarket in shoulder belts (ALR = Automatic Locking Retractors - these are the ones like most modern cars where you can fully extend them and then slowly retract and they stay locked...perfect for socking in your 5 year old so they're not boucning all over the place) - these retractables (WSCH300) that I plan to use in front are ELR's (Emergency Locking Retractors) - which lock up at impact. The non retracts have to be manually adjusted each time you 'buckle up' - but I felt for the car seats it was necessary. Finding a good anchor point for the shoulder belts is the hardest part - with your sail panel basically non-existent in that car, if you want rear shoulders you'll have to mount to package shelf - if you're only doing laps you're fine. Don't think you'll have much luck with a mounting point for your fronts either if you wanted shoulders unless you get into the roof rail - could get dicey if you ask me.

I will try to update this post as I progress - hopefully some over the weekend...unfortunately, taking apart my interior to do this led me to new seat upholstery, a new headliner, new windlace, and a floor patch or two...never is simple with 50+ year old cars.
Old February 25th, 2011, 08:33 PM

Thanks Olds Dad. I'm only going with lap belts, but car seats are an issue for me also, so thanks for the advice. Any idea on how long I need em'? Theyhave 60", and 75" and I think 90". I can measure, I'm just being lazy right now cause my garage is freezing!
Old February 26th, 2011, 02:37 AM

Now isn't that just a purrdy little car!!! I think 60" for the rear seats and 75" for the fronts because they have to be able to adjust more for the front to back adjustment of the seat....putting a set of belts in my '57 using '68 Cutlass floor anchors...
Old February 26th, 2011, 04:59 AM

Beautiful 59....Thanks for starting this thread as I was going to ask about seat belts too for my 63 Starfire. Just feel uncomfortable without a seat belt.