General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Seal cove auto museum, Maine

Search this Thread

Old October 2nd, 2023 | 03:43 PM

Seal cove auto museum, Maine

Went to visit Acadia national park in Maine this last weekend. We were driving around the area on sunday and came across an auto museum in seal cove, Maine. I wasn't going to drive by without a look so we stopped in. The building was a well kept metal structure. I knew it would be older antique autos but wanted to take a look just the same. I'm glad I did and the wife actually enjoyed it also. There wasn't another person there besides the older couple behind the desk so we had the whole place to ourselves.
It really amazes me when I look at these machines and imagine the work, thought, ingenuity, craftsmanship and detail that created these works of art. A lot of these vehicles had stories also that made them even more interesting. There were Amelia island concourse de' elegance winners, survivor cars, a car that two ladies drove from NY and looped around the whole U.S.A. in 1916 taking about 5 months to do it. This was just some stories but the cars, motorcycles and fashion was really interesting. The first electric car, Stanley steamers. I love looking at the brass and glass along with Oil head lamps and hand made leather seats. Wooden bodies and amazing paint jobs with no robotics or electronic anything.

Old October 2nd, 2023 | 03:54 PM

more pics

Old October 2nd, 2023 | 04:39 PM
Running On Empty

Sounds like a wonderful trip & great time of year to visit Maine. I enjoy stopping at Vintage/Classic vehicle museums. Thanks for sharing. If you're ever drifting through the Smoky Mountains, "Wheels Through Time" motorcycle museum is a must see.
Old October 2nd, 2023 | 04:45 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

This reminds me of back in the early 80's, I was up in the Ozarks in Camdenton, Missouri. I passed this cinder block building that said Car Museum. There were no cars in the parking lot but I stopped anyway. I went in and this nice little older lady was there and I asked if they were open since the place was dark. She said they were and she sold me a ticket and turned the lights on. They had probably at least 50 cars in there and they included an Auburn Boattail Speedster and a Stutz Bearcat. She said the first car they had was a 1905 Maxwell her husband bought in 1929 for $5.00. They still had it. They had about 20 cars he had not restored including on with wooden axles. The people were elderly then and I often wondered what happened to that collection because these folks were not young then.
Old October 2nd, 2023 | 04:57 PM

Thanks for posting photos of your visit, I love the brass era cars. Have to put that on the hit list for next years run up to Maine for a getaway weekend with my wife.
Old October 2nd, 2023 | 05:07 PM
Running On Empty

I've been to that museum - about 20 miles North of Springfield, MO. It's been closed since 1994. I was at the museum I'd say about 1983. I worked in Arkansas as a Wildlife Biologist on the BNR (Buffalo National River) for several years. I resided in a dry county. Springfield was the closest (or thereabouts) place I could travel to get beer & liquor. That woman, Mrs. Kelsey greeted me at the door, as well.
Old October 2nd, 2023 | 05:49 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I think their son owns Kelsey Tire company which was next door and apparently is still in Camdenton. I got a kick out of her. She sold me a ticket and then turned the lights on. Boy was I surprised. I thought there would be some old Fords and Chevys in there. I guess they sold off most of the cars. The Auburn and the Stutz were high dollar cars then.
Old October 3rd, 2023 | 03:12 AM

Really are some great, hidden places like this to see around the country.
Old October 3rd, 2023 | 09:47 AM

Thanks for posting the great pictures. The history of that period is what fascinates me. No such thing as government regulation so anybody with a good idea could start his own car company. Various propulsion systems, features, designs. It's amazing. Put it out there and the market decided what was good or bad.
Old October 3rd, 2023 | 03:01 PM
Administrator

Some great pictures, thanks for sharing. I always marveled at the simplicity of the old cars.
Old October 4th, 2023 | 03:02 AM

If you are ever in upstate New York, I found this museum in Norwich that was pretty cool. They had a real nice representation of early prewar and post war (WWII) cars and motorcycles. They showcased a New York auto manufacturer, Franklin. Franklins were air cooled. Also had some really nice motorcycles. Some beautiful Packards, Duesenbergs, Auburns, and the Cadillacs from the early days of the automobile.

https://classiccarmuseum.org/

Old October 4th, 2023 | 09:25 AM

That looks like another fine collection of antique autos.
Old October 4th, 2023 | 05:02 PM

Visited Seal Cove museum about 15 years ago. Quite the surprise from the outside your not expecting much. Been to that area many times great for outdoor adventures
Old October 5th, 2023 | 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by drop top olds
If you are ever in upstate New York, I found this museum in Norwich that was pretty cool.
https://classiccarmuseum.org/
I've driven by that place a number of times but never stopped. It's on one if the cut through routes I take through the middle of no where when I travel from the Catskills back to Central NY