General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

scratch repair / insurance ?

Search this Thread

Old August 6th, 2015, 01:21 PM

scratch repair / insurance ?

have a shallow 1" long scrape/gouge on my OAI hood and and another 2" long scrape on quarter panel on an otherwise flawless and bright paint job.

the minor damage incurred during a break-in to my garage with burglar attempting to carry other sharp objects over the car, causing the scratches.

Hagerty sending estimate-guy to look at this..what is the level of repair and repaint I should expect ? touch-up only ? wide area blending ?
Old August 6th, 2015, 03:21 PM

You need to pick a body shop and let them estimate it. They know what level of work is needed and shouldn't be asked to compromise what they think is necessary. I haven't seen the scratch, but it wouldn't surprise me if they want to shoot the entire hood. No one else's estimate really matters ....
Old August 6th, 2015, 03:36 PM

Thornton painted the factory hood initially. Am not trusting of local NJ shops with the fiberglass since I couldn't find any to agree to restore and paint it the first time...which is why I brought to PA.
Old August 7th, 2015, 09:06 AM

When I had a claim Hagerty sent someone out who estimated the damage and then immediately sent me a check in the amount of the estimate. I took the car to my facility of choice and gave them the Hagerty check. It did the repair and dealt directly with Hagerty for the additional sum it required to do the job right.

No one who does fiberglass? Who does all the Corvettes in your area?
Old August 7th, 2015, 10:36 AM

I have never personally used these guys but have heard and seen nice things from them. My only dealing with them was when I sold my 1970 442 back in 2000 the buyer wanted them to inspect it, they seemed very knowledgeable and capable in the meeting. good luck

http://www.hullcogarage.com/