General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

San Diego area Olds owners - wanna give me a ride?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old Today, 10:01 AM

San Diego area Olds owners - wanna give me a ride?!?!?

Long story short, I recently inherited my dads 1970 Cutlass Supreme 2dr holiday coupe automatic with 350. The car is in amazing shape, awesome paint job, sounds great...but in my opinion it's a dog! I've been going through some of my many options, i.e., 350 stroker kit, drop in a 455, etc however before I do so....I'd like to understand how this car should/will perform? I have no frame of reference for this car or any other 70's era muscle car. This car will never see a strip or race track...it would will purely be street driven on weekends, etc and really just want gobs of torque...high top end speed is not necessary. So my question is....anyone in the San Diego area with a car built similar to what I'm looking to do willing to give me a ride!! I don't want to go down a path and then be disappointed in the end.
Thanks
Jim
Oceanside, CA
Old Today, 10:54 AM
Running On Empty

Welcome to the site. Sorry for the loss of your Dad. Great curb appeal to that 1970 CS.

Shoboat90 joined in June this year >>> https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...5/#post1577794

Image below. Good Luck. Lots of great folks to help you make decisions.

Old Today, 10:55 AM
Running On Empty

BTW, love the Mickey Thompsons.
Old Today, 11:48 AM

Has the car been tuned up yet ?
Old Today, 12:06 PM
Gary

That's a beautiful car.

I had a similar problem. When a transmission expert drove my 1970 350, he told me my converter wasn't working correctly.

Replacing it made a big difference on my first Vista Cruiser.

And you probably have the 2.79 rear axle ratio. Changing to a 3.23 would help in that case.
Old Today, 12:10 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Car's got some eyeball. As Ralph mentions, I would do a forensic tune and optimize what you have before you go throwing money around. You'd be surprised at how big an improvement there can be. Use that as a baseline and then report back here if you feel further "upgrades" are required.

Also, I'd be interested in hearing about your frame of reference -- the Olds is a dog compared to what?
Old Today, 12:16 PM

Well, I don't know. That said, he was meticulous about the car, everything under the hood looks nearly new. He always just told me..."it's a cruiser"...
Old Today, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
Has the car been tuned up yet ?
Well, I really don't know. He was meticulous with the car, everything under the hood looks nearly new. He always just told me..."it's a cruiser"
Old Today, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by BangScreech4-4-2
Car's got some eyeball. As Ralph mentions, I would do a forensic tune and optimize what you have before you go throwing money around. You'd be surprised at how big an improvement there can be. Use that as a baseline and then report back here if you feel further "upgrades" are required.

Also, I'd be interested in hearing about your frame of reference -- the Olds is a dog compared to what?
Noted and it seems like going this route in addition to exploring gears is my best option to start. My frame of reference is a 1997 Viper I used to own.....
Old Today, 12:23 PM

I don't know if this helps or not, but figured I'd post it anyhow....
Old Today, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by shoboat90
Noted and it seems like going this route in addition to exploring gears is my best option to start. My frame of reference is a 1997 Viper I used to own.....
Viper V-10 ? Weight 3200 pounds ?
Old Today, 12:37 PM
Rocket Renegade!

My frame of reference is a 1997 Viper I used to own.....
Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
Viper V-10 ? Weight 3200 pounds ?
You may be setting your sights a little high, I don't think there's an Oldsmobile engine you can put in it that thing that'll turn it into a Viper. Not without spending cubic money, anyway.
Old Today, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by BangScreech4-4-2
You may be setting your sights a little high, I don't think there's an Oldsmobile engine you can put in it that thing that'll turn it into a Viper. Not without spending cubic money, anyway.
Absolutely understood. However a mildly built 455 should produce similar if not higher torque numbers...hence my original question. Just looking for some 'grin factor' in this otherwise beautiful car....
Old Today, 01:02 PM

Someone has done a lot of work under that hood. It is definitely NOT a factory engine setup. Edelbrock Performer RPM intake manifold, MSD ignition box, chrome valve covers, 4-row radiator, and aftermarket AC system.
With all that aftermarket stuff, there's no telling what's inside the engine and if all the pieces are mis-matched or not. For all we know you might have a huge camshaft, low compression pistons, and the standard equipment 2.56 rear gears.

I don't know if this helps or not, but figured I'd post it anyhow....
Old Today, 02:15 PM
Running On Empty

Post a picture of the vehicle's Fisher Body data plate (Cowl) tag & members can decipher/explain week it was made, assembly plant, original top, bottom paint colors, trim & accessories if you have an interest in knowing this information.

Old Today, 02:21 PM
Running On Empty

I'm not an auto body expert/mechanic. I know the front fenders (both sides) are mandatory safety crumple fenders. These fenders were mandatory for the 1971 model year vehicles. I'm not 100% if any 1970 vehicles were manufactured with those fenders during the 1970 model year assembly production run. I'm equally uncertain if the Cutlass S vehicle shared the same front fenders as the Cutlass Supreme during the 1970 model year but I suspect they shared same front fenders. You'll note the "raised" ridge(s) alongside the interior side of each front fender.
Old Today, 02:31 PM
Running On Empty

Pre-1971 production model years had smooth front interior/inside fenders - they would have not contained the ridged safety crumple zone located on the interior/inside of the front fenders displayed on your car. Albeit, I suspect the front fenders have been replaced.

Old Today, 02:47 PM
Running On Empty

Mandatory 1971-Post-1971 front safety crumple zone fenders...These do not exist pre-1971 (I am aware of).

Old Today, 05:02 PM
72Cutlass S

What does any of that have to do with performance?
Old Today, 05:57 PM
Oldsdruid

My frame of reference is a 1997 Viper I used to own.....
So you're trying to compare apples to oranges.

Or in this case to a track-bred street-legal race car.

With that reference nothing you do to that Oldsmobile will make it live up to Viper performance. Sell the Oldsmobile to someone who'll appreciate it and go buy yourself another Viper.
Old Today, 06:13 PM

@Vintage Chief lets some good detective work you've done there...much appreciated! Any info on this car is a bonus. Here's the plate, kind of tough to read though..that was the best pic I could get.
Old Today, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
So you're trying to compare apples to oranges.

Or in this case to a track-bred street-legal race car.

With that reference nothing you do to that Oldsmobile will make it live up to Viper performance. Sell the Oldsmobile to someone who'll appreciate it and go buy yourself another Viper.
Thanks for your thoughts. Perhaps the Viper was a terrible reference...my bad. How about my daughters Lexus ES350..pretty confident that has more guts. I don't need the performance of a Viper...but I would like something that I can light up the tires with on occasion! I most certainly appreciate this car....IMO, it looks and sounds amazing. Just don't want to do a bunch of work and then still be disappointed....which brings me back to my original question. Thanks!
Old Today, 06:35 PM

You’ll have to give us details about the engine and drivetrain since it’s obvious it is not a stock Supreme.
What compression ratio?
What camshaft?
What carburetor?
What transmission?
What rear gears?

If you don’t give us that information, there’s no way we can give any recommendations.
Old Today, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
You’ll have to give us details about the engine and drivetrain since it’s obvious it is not a stock Supreme.
What compression ratio?
What camshaft?
What carburetor?
What transmission?
What rear gears?

If you don’t give us that information, there’s no way we can give any recommendations.
Well, unfortunately I don't have much of that information. Most certainly not the compression ratio or camshaft as I have no idea who built the engine and don't have any paperwork. I'm guessing it's a TH350 but haven't verified yet, I can obviously get the carburetor info and figure out the rear gears. So that's pretty much where I'm at until I find someone in San Diego willing/able to give me a ride so I then actually have a real frame of reference for what I can expect to achieve from this vehicle....until then, it's all just a bunch of numbers to me. Thanks to all for your input thus far!
Old Today, 07:17 PM

I can tell you my bone stock 1970 Cutlass Supreme 350-4bbl with 2.56 posi would roast 225-70-15 tires across an intersection. My in-car timing with a digital stopwatch recorded 0-60 times of just under 7 seconds.
Old Today, 07:19 PM
Running On Empty

Likely others have not read your Newbie thread I posted a link to in Post #2. With that said and the statement you made in that thread:
He has a 455 block in his basement that he intended to build and install in the car someday...I'm going to make it my mission to complete this for him. I've never built an engine before but it seems as though, in my very brief time browsing this forum, there are enough experts to get me through the build over time.
Perhaps you're thinking/writing out loud and haven't really made up your mind, yet? You stated in the other thread the car has a 350 in it - but, maybe now you're not so sure since you said you haven't validated it, yet? So, some details need to be addressed so everyone is on the same page. If it's an Oldsmobile 350, referred to as a SBO (Small Block Olds) it will perform admirably when properly tuned. You need to determine what year and make 455 (BBO) block is in the basement - BPO (Buick, Pontiac, Olds)? Strictly in terms of nomenclature, the 455 would be what is generally referred to as the muscle car engine. You have some decisions to make...you going to complete this for your Dad (with the 455 block) or you still deciding based upon what you learn in this thread? You'll figure it out - plenty of smart members here to assist.
Old Today, 07:21 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Fun71
I can tell you my bone stock 1970 Cutlass Supreme 350-4bbl with 2.56 posi would roast 225-70-15 tires across an intersection. My in-car timing with a digital stopwatch recorded 0-60 times of just under 7 seconds.
^x2^ My 71 350 4bbl Quadrajet w/ 2.56 rear end will scream.

If you want to determine how that car performs, as mentioned earlier - give it a complete & proper tune-up. First convince yourself what engine is sitting on those engine mounts.
Old Today, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Likely others have not read your Newbie thread I posted a link to in Post #2. With that said and the statement you made in that thread:

Perhaps you're thinking/writing out loud and haven't really made up your mind, yet? You stated in the other thread the car has a 350 in it - but, maybe now you're not so sure since you said you haven't validated it, yet? So, some details need to be addressed so everyone is on the same page. If it's an Oldsmobile 350, referred to as a SBO (Small Block Olds) it will perform admirably when properly tuned. You need to determine what year and make 455 (BBO) block is in the basement - BPO (Buick, Pontiac, Olds)? Strictly in terms of nomenclature, the 455 would be what is generally referred to as the muscle car engine. You have some decisions to make...you going to complete this for your Dad (with the 455 block) or you still deciding based upon what you learn in this thread? You'll figure it out - plenty of smart members here to assist.
@Vintage Chief you are absolutely right, I have not made up my mind yet! As you duly noted, I originally stated my intent was to build the 455 he had in his basement, which I verified to be an Olds 1976 block. Since that time, some things have changed and I'm obviously all over the place. Based on some of this info you and Fun71 have just presented, maybe I incorrectly assumed the car has a 350...I guess I need to verify that first and if so, ensure it's tuned properly before moving on to the next step. So for now, my thinking out loud has paid off and for that.....I thank you all for your input. I'll report back with what I find. Enjoy the weekend my friends.
Old Today, 07:48 PM

350, right?

Old Today, 08:24 PM
Running On Empty

I believe that's correct. Olds 350 block from 1968-1976.