Concours judge - looking for a little help

Old July 16th, 2014, 06:52 PM

Concours judge - looking for a little help

I am going to be a judge in the Keeneland Concours in Lexington, KY on July 19 2014. Of the 7 cars i will be judging is a 57 olds holiday coupe owned by george flener. That is all the information i have about the car at the moment.
I was just looking to get a little insight on some things to look for that might not be original. anything that people commonly change out over the years. Any help would be appreciated.
Old July 16th, 2014, 07:21 PM
Administrator

I don't understand the question?
Old July 16th, 2014, 08:21 PM

Just curious but how can the concourse allow you or anyone else to be a judge on a particular year/model car if you aren't very knowledgeable on it?Inquiring minds would like to know....Tedd
Old July 17th, 2014, 12:22 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

I guess all judges had to learn their craft, whether it is cars or someone accused of crime they are judging. In all cases it takes time and experience. Are you under the wing of someone showing you the ropes?.
One thing concerns me; what difference does it make who owns a car you are judging?, I hope knowing who owns a particular car doesn't cloud your judgement. There have been plenty of threads about trophies going to the usual suspects at various car shows........

Roger.
Old July 18th, 2014, 09:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Just curious but how can the concourse allow you or anyone else to be a judge on a particular year/model car if you aren't very knowledgeable on it?Inquiring minds would like to know....Tedd
Heck, you should be more worried about OCA judging. I was a judge for all the H/O classes at the 2010 Nationals, and it was eye opening (and disappointing). Suffice to say that there is not a set of judging standards, nor is there even a set of model guidelines. Kurt Shubert and others have been trying to get a set of judging standards created for each model, but I don't think this has gone very far.
Old July 18th, 2014, 10:39 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I'm a little surprised that this was posted only 3 days in advance of a judging competition. Usually a 'judge' knows well in advance that they've been selected to do honors, especially at a concourse event. The research should have been started a long time ago for the model classification. I wouldn't accept a judging position simply because I don't believe I'm adequately qualified. I know a fair bit, but not enough to be a judge.

Joe - I like the idea of having a standards (and even testing) for judges. What would also be nice is to have the standards for evaluation listed on the judges form, just to stay focused on such a subjective activity. Most of the critical information (such as production numbers, option groups, color choices etc) could easily be added to a judging clipboard as reference materials if needed.

Roger - I'm with you. It's the car being judged, not the owner. I think too many people associate a car with a 'known name' and automatically assume it has to be a top rated car? Heck, I have no clue who this George Fiener is, and really I don't care.

Ted - Hope we find the answer to your bone rattling question!
Old July 18th, 2014, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Heck, you should be more worried about OCA judging. I was a judge for all the H/O classes at the 2010 Nationals, and it was eye opening (and disappointing). Suffice to say that there is not a set of judging standards, nor is there even a set of model guidelines. Kurt Shubert and others have been trying to get a set of judging standards created for each model, but I don't think this has gone very far.
I participated in the 2011 Olds Nationals and found the judges to be quite good fair and accurate, at least on my car. They did missed a couple things that I was aware of and found a couple that I wasn't so it averaged out about the same but at any Nationals or a concourse I would expect very knowledgeable judging much more than your local show in shine car show no mater how large which is so subjective as not to be of much use other than a social gathering of enthusiasts.I would hope that the learning curve on a particular year and model would be learned before one judged a concourse or better type of events. Just my thoughts your milage may differ.....Tedd
Old July 18th, 2014, 08:15 PM

Well, a volunteer thing, you take the best you can get at the time. Sometimes you have to wing it. I believe he is wanting someone with a car from those years to comment on specific things to look for being original and common mods.

I've seen some horrible judging. My favorite one is my Monte Carlo scoring 0/5 for trunk equipment when it has flawless original equipment. Of course, this was in a high school put on show in serious have-relations-with-your-cousin rural Indiana, so what do you expect?
Old July 19th, 2014, 07:31 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Koda
Well, a volunteer thing, you take the best you can get at the time.
Yes. This is the problem I've seen with OCA judging. I appreciate the fact that OCA encourages new people to be judges, but there is no set of objective standards from which they can learn. I was a first-time judge at Sturbridge, as were all but one of our judging team. I had a pretty good idea of what should be the correct equipment on a H/O, but even I had some questions about the post-1972 cars. Compounding this was the fact that is started to rain part-way through our inspection of the cars, so the cars judged later definitely got the short end of the stick.
Old July 19th, 2014, 08:39 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Don't mean to be too much of a buster, guys, but it's "concours."

"Concourse" is the basement of someplace fancy.

- Eric
Old July 19th, 2014, 02:10 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Oops. Darn, I was never good at French.
Old July 19th, 2014, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
"Concourse" is the basement of someplace fancy.
Actually, it's just a large, open space in a public building.

For example, when you've gotten through security at the airport and are walking down the wide "hallway" with the aircraft gates, restaurants, shops, etc. on either side, you're walking down a concourse. At least, I've heard that term used in reference to this many times.
Old July 19th, 2014, 04:15 PM
Administrator

I believe the correct word for the airport reference is "Terminal".
Old July 19th, 2014, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I believe the correct word for the airport reference is "Terminal".
"Terminal" is a more generic term meaning simply the ending point or termination point. In the case of an airport, it often refers to the whole airport, but it can also refer to the various, separate buildings at an airport.

For example, the Dallas-Fort Worth airport, which I was just in in May, has five separate buildings, called "Terminals", and they're labeled Terminal A, B, C, D, and E, all connected by a rail system. Within those terminals are the concourses in which you walk to get to your gate. The Atlanta airport is similar.

A different example is the Pittsburgh airport, which I was also just in in May. That airport has a single building, or terminal, which has four "wings", called Concourses A, B, C, and D extending out from the center part like the spokes of a wheel.

So the Dallas airport has five terminals, each containing a concourse. The Pittsburgh airport has a single terminal with four concourses.

Yes, I know, I've belabored the hell out of this. But the main point is that a terminal is generally a building, like a bus terminal. A concourse is really nothing more than a big room.
Old July 20th, 2014, 08:08 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

How did the show and judging go?.

Roger.
Old July 24th, 2014, 11:25 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Don't hold out on us please, .
How was the show, what did you think of your experience as a judge?.
Was Mr Feiners car a great car or a dog?.

Roger.