General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Rochester 'RG'

Search this Thread

Old April 9th, 2023, 06:02 AM

Rochester 'RG'

Whats the RG after the part number ?
Old April 9th, 2023, 07:26 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Designates a Really Good carburetor. Very sought after, as they are an upgrade over the standard FG (Fairly Good) carburetors which are much more common.

Last edited by BangScreech4-4-2; April 9th, 2023 at 07:31 AM.
Old April 9th, 2023, 07:30 AM
Randy C.

From what I have read and heard, it's meant to be something called a "broadcast code" but I don't know what a broadcast code is. And it seems they only appear on carburetors made the model year the car is made. If it's made after the model year, then there seems to not be this broadcast code in that only the carb number and a manufacture date appear.

Randy C.
Old April 9th, 2023, 11:32 AM

A broadcast code, in a general sense, is a code that is literally broadcasted on plant data sheets. When a car is built, the production control office, back then, people, now, computers, will say "Make me a 442, manual, no AC, sports coupe, black on black on black, SSIs, these tires, AM/FM/stereo/8track, gauges, manual windows, locks, etc, etc, etc." This is put into something called a broadcast, or a data stream, that is a string of numbers. This goes to all the printers at the assembly lines. It makes the broadcast card at Fisher, and the main manifest at Final Assembly. All those bits go into places on the card, like the printer will print W30, if Fisher needs that that year, on the broadcast card.

In chassis, the engine will come along with a manifest clipped to it. In the carb square, it will say RG, in this carb's case. The employee would select an RG carb from his flowrack, and put it on the engine.

Now, what do these broadcast codes mean for carbs? They mean specific sub-types of that year quadrajet. I would assume jets, rods, etc, but I will leave that to the year's experts; I'm just an auto factory engineer, so I can help on the systems side.

The reason a broadcast code is not on a service replacement carb is that they were made generically, then set up by hand as needed for whatever the car in question was supposed to have.

I do data stream broadcasts as part of my job; I run the laser printers for the certification labels and vin labels at my factory, and I am getting into vehicle electronics, that has their own streams.
Old April 9th, 2023, 02:01 PM
Randy C.

Thank you for the explanation, Koda. I never knew until I read your post exactly what it meant. Great explanation.

Randy C.
Old April 9th, 2023, 04:21 PM

Thks again guys