General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Reproduction brake line quality

Search this Thread

Old September 14th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Ben

Reproduction brake line quality

Right Stuff & Inline Tube.... or others. Looking for feedback.

Need to get some reproduction front brake lines for my friends 66.His car had an old disk brake conversion w/ lines going every which way & prop valve mounted on the inner fender.

I'm going to re-do it for him, already ripped out all the old stuff. Planning to relocate the prop down on the frame rail.

Who would you order from? Anyone have expeerience with their stuff? Are they all selling tubes from the same offshore MFG, or?

Worth buying from them or should i just make my own? I figure i'll be doing some of my own anyway due to moving the prop valve, but if i can avoid some bending and flaring, i think I'll be glad later- assuming that is the stuff fits worth a darn...

thoughts? feedback?
Old September 14th, 2011, 03:32 PM

Though I haven't put any hard use on them, I'm very happy with my ILT lines. The bends are near perfect Everything lines up and goes together smoothly.
Old September 14th, 2011, 04:14 PM

Do a search on Inline Tube, youll find many many pissed off customers. One guy got the county prosecutor involved. I had a major issue with them, parts that didnt fit, parts that were flat out wrong, and being told I was wrong and they never ever make mistakes. Basically if you get a bad part youre stuck with it. Buyer beware, their BBB rating is an F.
Old September 14th, 2011, 04:56 PM

I got brake lines from inline tube, they looked and fit great. With that being said I have read alot of negative comments about them, most seem to revolve around customer service as TK alluded to. So I guess it's a crap shoot with them.
Old September 14th, 2011, 05:38 PM

Ordered a big pile of stuff from inline tube...all came in correct...called to ask some tech questions...and no problems..
Old September 14th, 2011, 06:13 PM

I have had no problems with Inline Tube. I replaced all of my brake lines and hardware on my '68 with their stuff. Everything fit great, quality was top notch. Inline makes their stuff at their factory in Shelby Township, Michigan US of A. (Don't know where Right Stuff makes theirs, may well be here in the US as well).
Old September 14th, 2011, 07:26 PM

I ordered all my brake and fuel lines from ILT. Great quality, it all fit right, good customer service.
Old September 14th, 2011, 08:15 PM

Heard some good things about www.classictube.com . If you want s.s., it's only about 15.00 more.
Old September 15th, 2011, 12:15 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

In England it is standard workshop practice to make our own brake lines using cupro nickel tubing.
It is easy to work with and doesn't corrode and it costs pennies to make. The tubing available from any parts shop is designed to handle the very high pressures in a hydraulic system, I have made miles of brake lines over the years and never known one to fail.
I often wonder why you guys don't do the same, anyone able to enlighten me?.

Roger.

Last edited by rustyroger; September 15th, 2011 at 12:18 AM.
Old September 15th, 2011, 04:48 AM

I've bought and installed their reproduction fuel lines and brake lines.[70 Cutlass.] No problems with either. That being said, I've bought some pieces that were not correct and had to get a refund/credit.[When told the parts weren't correct/didn't fit, they weren't too receptive.]
All in all, most parts were satisfactory.
Old September 15th, 2011, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by RAMBOW

Need to get some reproduction front brake lines for my friends 66.His car had an old disk brake conversion w/ lines going every which way & prop valve mounted on the inner fender.

I'm going to re-do it for him, already ripped out all the old stuff. Planning to relocate the prop down on the frame rail.

Who would you order from? Anyone have expeerience with their stuff? Are they all selling tubes from the same offshore MFG, or?

Worth buying from them or should i just make my own? I figure i'll be doing some of my own anyway due to moving the prop valve, but if i can avoid some bending and flaring, i think I'll be glad later- assuming that is the stuff fits worth a darn...

thoughts? feedback?
I have used Right Stuff for all of my brake and fuel line needs! They have a great and knowledgeable tech guy for YOUR car --- that can advise you and answer any and all questions!
They OWN all their own machinery and bend and make all their own lines. I must confess that i dont know the exact source of their steel or stainless tubing, but I do know that the owner Dave Roberts is committed to putting out the absolute best product for the restoration market! He's quite a Camaro restorer in his own "Right"!!! You otta see his personal collection of Camaros!
You will have to search HARD to find any complaints about their service or their products! If there is something that doesnt suit you -- they will make it "Right"!!!
Old September 15th, 2011, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Chesrown 67 OAI
I have used Right Stuff for all of my brake and fuel line needs! They have a great and knowledgeable tech guy for YOUR car --- that can advise you and answer any and all questions!
They OWN all their own machinery and bend and make all their own lines. I must confess that i dont know the exact source of their steel or stainless tubing, but I do know that the owner Dave Roberts is committed to putting out the absolute best product for the restoration market! He's quite a Camaro restorer in his own "Right"!!! You otta see his personal collection of Camaros!
You will have to search HARD to find any complaints about their service or their products! If there is something that doesnt suit you -- they will make it "Right"!!!
The Right Stuff had a spot in the swap at the Dearborn OCA and helped out a guy that had a booster or master cylinder go bad on his car. They gave him the parts to fix it and get him back on the road.

A google search of "inline tube" brings up their website then then next three are complaints about them.

Same stuff I mentioned, wrong parts and no customer service.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=327124
Old September 15th, 2011, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by rustyroger
I often wonder why you guys don't do the same, anyone able to enlighten me?.
I think because its an art, when I was younger that's exactly what we did. when my Taurus SHO needed lines a few years ago we made our own as well. I think some times its just easier to call and get a part then to attempt to make it, I understand that in our crazy world.

Part of me looks forward to the day I can restore my own car - part of me fears that cause I'll be 70 before I have the time.
Old September 15th, 2011, 07:22 AM

I bought Inline Tube for my 70 before doing any research. Everything fit fine. However after hearing their horror stories, I will never buy from them again. Maybe I got lucky with a 70, other years may be different?
Old September 15th, 2011, 08:03 AM

used both

Well I have used Both, bought originally stainless steel lines from in-line tube for both brakes and fuel, and then bought stainless steel brake lines and proportioning valves etc from the right stuff when I decided to convert to 4 wheel disc brakes, the fit of both were very very good, except for the rear axle lines on the disc brake conversion which I probably should have bent my own, but they were for a drum brake car so I accepted that.

The customer service at the right stuff in my opinion was second to none, I ordered the stainless steel braided hoses and they shipped the rubber tube, I called they apologized and I had the new tubes that week ( priority mail ) told me to keep the rubber ones.

the kit from the right stuff worked great... all that said i haven't lowered my car body onto the frame yet and of course it has not been driven so no idea how it works yet...
Old September 15th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Ben

Thanks for the responses guys... I'll be calling right stuff today to place the order.
Old September 15th, 2011, 02:26 PM

Well, I'm prolly too late to the thread for you RAMBOW, but I've used ILT and had good luck. Their prices are kinds high on some stuff, but twice they've had really good cust service.
1. I ended up with free extra hardtop fuel return line because they told me just to keep it when they sent the correct conv't one.
2. I ordered the rear drum assy's & other stuff for pickup at their place in MI. The drum assy's were on back order at the time of pickup. They shipped 'em free to me once they came in.

Their lines seem good quality although I did have to massage the front pieces quite a bit to get them to lay right.

I've also use Fine Lines out of OH (http://www.finelinesinc.com/) with success. Lines seem the same as ILT but a bit cheaper...
Old September 15th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Kjr442

I just completed my brake and fuel lines on my car, the right stuff was a dream to work with.
Old September 20th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Originally Posted by RAMBOW

thoughts? feedback?
InLIneTubing.com only way to go.
Old September 20th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

InLineTube.com is the only way to go. Have used them and their product is right on the money. Bends-springs exact.They have every line. If not send your old and they can match. Check them out. Saves alot of time and money
AL
Old September 20th, 2011, 04:29 PM

Order lines from Right Stuff or whatever... chances are they will be from ILT anyway. I have had overall good experience with ILT. Almost all my repro stuff is from them.

I ordered some parts from Fusick not too long ago... and one of the sheet metal type parts (rear tail light housing protector things) was from ILT.
Old September 21st, 2011, 02:30 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

In Line has many other items available besides brake lines. I buy as much as I can from them if they have it. Quality and fair price.
AL
Old September 21st, 2011, 05:18 PM
GM Enthusiast

I have ordered 4 times from ILT with no issues. Very happy with the quality.