General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Removing upper steering column bearing retainer

Search this Thread

Old March 24th, 2015, 06:51 PM

Removing upper steering column bearing retainer

G'day olds fans.
Long time since I have been on site... almost two years.
My sincerest apology to everyone. Life and other commitments just keep getting in the way.

So I have finally registered my '62 Holiday Sport Coupe.
It took me 12 months to source rims (Lafayette, Louisiana) for the ol' girl, plus engine rebuild and minor rust removal. 2 years gone just like that.
Anyway, I've had it one the road legally now for 4 weeks, and wouldn't you know it, the turn signal actuator decides to give me grief.

I have removed steering wheel, and actuator, and as it turned out, the thread in the retainer has stripped and the screw holding the actuator onto the plate does not tighten. So I have to replace the upper bearing retainer plate.
I have removed the three screws on top of the retainer plate and still cannot remove retainer.
Do I need to remove the column gear shift lever as well to remove retainer plate?
if so, how.

I have located nos parts at oldsobsolete.com & emailed them last Sunday, but have received no response as yet.
I would appreciate it very much if someone can offer advise on removing the retainer plate, and even anyone stocking these parts.
I would prefer to replace the lot (turn signal actuator & screw, upper bearing retainer plate) if possible.

Thanks so much.
Kym Seaman.

Last edited by 62 Olds; March 28th, 2015 at 08:21 PM.