General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Removal of reveal molding on top of a 1968 to 72 Vista Cruiser tailgate?

Search this Thread

Old November 21st, 2016, 06:12 PM

Removal of reveal molding on top of a 1968 to 72 Vista Cruiser tailgate?

I have pried the top edge up a little after removing two sheet metal screws on either end, but there are 5 or 6 large clips along the length that I can't free. Here are some pictures:

ures.
Old November 21st, 2016, 06:34 PM

Remove the interior access panels, shut the gate raise the window, crawl into the back and reach into the gate to release the six retainer clips with your fingers. Have a buddy outside to help assist pulling up and manipulating the trim. DO NOT DESTROY THE CLIPS! They are getting hard to find
Old November 21st, 2016, 10:36 PM

Thank you! I hope I didn't already damage them by lifting up on the molding. By release them, do you mean somehow squeeze them together or rotate them? I did take the access panel off, but it looked like there was no access to the bottom of those clips because the top if the gate had a inner panel covering them. I must have missed it and will take another look....
Old November 22nd, 2016, 03:25 PM

I see it now, but...

I can see that I have access to the clips from below, but as far as I know if I raise the glass to get to them, the tailgate has to be closed and that means that the reveal molding won't move upward because it would get caught under the d-pillars of the wagon. What am I missing? Maybe, I have to figure out a way to bypass the safety switch when the gate is open, so I can raise the glass that way?....
Old November 22nd, 2016, 05:50 PM

I got it off. Thanks again...

I took the glass out so that I could get to the clips with the gate down. Basically you just squeeze the clips together to allow it to slide out through the narrow slot. Luckily only some of the clips were bent, but I should be able to straighten them. It looks like the lower vertical tailgate channels and other parts aren't available from Einstyn quite yet. It seems like there should be a generic channel that would work inside the lower and upper window guide? From Danno Enterprises or such...

Also, I'd be interested in a complete reveal molding that is in good shape and not too pricey...

Last edited by tcolt; November 23rd, 2016 at 12:10 PM.