Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Windshield Reveal Molding

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2014, 06:38 AM

Windshield Reveal Molding

I am getting ready to reinstall my windshield reveal molding on my 69 442 convertible. It's been a long while since I took this all off and I have a few questions.
1. The side reveal moldings had at one time some sort of clay like substance in them. I'm not sure the purpose of this (anti rattle perhaps?). Is there any place to get a replacement for this stuff? I thought I saw someplace online that sold preformed material to fit in the side moldings but I can't seem to find it again.
2. Was there any type of sealer or caulking used under the moldings where it touches the glass of the windshield?
3. On the very top of the windshield frame, above the reveal molding, where the convertible header bow sits down on, this should be covered in vinyl, correct?

Regards,
Bill
Old April 3rd, 2014, 03:57 PM

It is probably anti-rattle stuff in the pillar moldings. You could use 3M strip-Caulk. Inline Tube sells a kit of foam tape for those mldgs on ebay. You could probably get the same stuff at Lowe's or whatever. Nothing under the mldgs near the glass or under the top piece. Right...vinyl on the top, you can buy a strip made especially for that on Ebay also. It's like 8" wide and 5-6 feet long, the right pattern. It's better than buying square yards and cheaper. That piece is glued on and needs to be done before the mldgs are replaced.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 09:45 PM

I can sell you both the black vinyl piece that glues to the top of the windshield frame and the foam strips that attach to the backside of your two stainless weatherstrip channels. If need be I can peel off some of the black 3M Strip Chaulk from the package I have here and include that in the package.

Here's a link to my ad for the vinyl strips.....

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ack-vinyl.html

No paypal but at least you can get everything you need in one package with one ship charge.
Old April 4th, 2014, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by mrolds69
It is probably anti-rattle stuff in the pillar moldings. You could use 3M strip-Caulk. Inline Tube sells a kit of foam tape for those mldgs on ebay. You could probably get the same stuff at Lowe's or whatever. Nothing under the mldgs near the glass or under the top piece. Right...vinyl on the top, you can buy a strip made especially for that on Ebay also. It's like 8" wide and 5-6 feet long, the right pattern. It's better than buying square yards and cheaper. That piece is glued on and needs to be done before the mldgs are replaced.
Thanks for the info Mrolds69. I'll take a look at that strip caulk stuff. It looks like it is the right kind of material. I may need a lot of it though. It was pretty thickly applied in my molding filling the whole void inside. I really thought I saw someplace selling preformed foam or rubber pieces that fit right in there but I could be mistaken.
Old April 4th, 2014, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by 70Post
I can sell you both the black vinyl piece that glues to the top of the windshield frame and the foam strips that attach to the backside of your two stainless weatherstrip channels. If need be I can peel off some of the black 3M Strip Chaulk from the package I have here and include that in the package.

Here's a link to my ad for the vinyl strips.....

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ack-vinyl.html

No paypal but at least you can get everything you need in one package with one ship charge.
Thanks for the offer 70Post. I think I may actually already have the vinyl. I ordered complete interior from Legendary and got a Header Vinyl piece. That is the strip that goes along the top of the windshield, correct?
If so I have some questions. What color is it supposed to be? My interior is light blue and thats the color vinyl I got. But my dash, A pillars and metal interior header pieces are all a darker blue. I would think the vinyl should match this color. Any idea?
Bill
Old March 16th, 2016, 03:45 PM

Question, how can these be removed without damaging them? the a pillar reveal moldings on a convertible. Thanks
Old March 16th, 2016, 09:36 PM

You first need to remove the A-pillar weatherstrip and then the stainless w/strip channel piece. After that you should see the screws that hold the large wrap-around stainless moldings to the A-pillar.

Sometimes the screws are rusted, etc so either try a hand impact screwdriver or go easy at first with a regular phillips screwdriver so you don't strip out the phillips slots.

Once you have all the screws removed the stainless moldings still may be "stubborn". The factory really loaded in the grey chaulk under these things so it may take some careful prying, etc to get them loose. The chaulk doesn't harden up or anything like that (like a glue curing).....there's just so much of it in there sometimes that it takes a bit of effort and finessing to get these A-pillar stainless pieces loose.

Haven't removed any of these in a long time but I think that hits most of the "high spots" in the removal process.
Old March 19th, 2016, 05:36 PM

Thank you for the info