General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Rebuilt carb

Search this Thread

Old January 18th, 2015, 06:27 PM

Rebuilt carb

Ran fine but resently did not want to idle cold. Reached in and set fast idle cam and after warmup ran fine. Today it started fine but soon sputtered as I drove up street. Assumed it was still cold and stepped on gas. Later when warmed up it sputtered and died again at a red light. Started back up and pulled over to check for gas leaks. None so I started home having trouble keeping it running but it got better as I drove. Any thoughts.
Old January 19th, 2015, 02:22 AM

found out that my "rebuilt" carb got a pressed in needle seat (instead of threaded design). the thread was stripped so the "rebuilder" drilled it out to fit a press-in style needle seat.

the only thing that keeps these from leaking are two rubber o-rings. cant tell how old they are...but i also had trouble with them.

just a thought...who did the rebuild on your carb?
Old January 19th, 2015, 08:30 AM

Not sure yet that it is the carb. I had it rebuilt about a year ago and may have 1000 miles on it. The fuel pump has about 9000 miles on it and could be 5+ years old. The carb is a Quadrajet on a455 motor. It was rebuilt by Barker Gang Garage. I have been putting 102 octane in the car. I am wondering what else could cause the symptoms I described but will probly call him to get his opinion on it. His customer service is very good.
Old January 19th, 2015, 09:19 AM

to me it sounds like the choke/ fast idle systems are malfunctioning.

These are pretty simple systems to understand, observe, and troubleshoot.

What level of understanding do you currently have regarding these linkages?
Old January 19th, 2015, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Gary M
Ran fine but resently did not want to idle cold.
Rebuilt when, and installed by whom? How recent is recently? This weekend, this month?

Reached in and set fast idle cam and after warmup ran fine.
So while cold, you did the usual one push of the gas pedal and the fast idle cam did not set itself?

Today it started fine but soon sputtered as I drove up street. Assumed it was still cold and stepped on gas. Later when warmed up it sputtered and died again at a red light. Started back up and pulled over to check for gas leaks. None so I started home having trouble keeping it running but it got better as I drove. Any thoughts.
I'm thinking maybe some gum or crap about your linkages? Is the throttle sluggish normally?
Old January 19th, 2015, 09:59 AM
Administrator

As Octania stated earlier, sounds like the choke isn't releasing. With the car thoroughly warmed up is the butterfly on top fully opened?
Old January 19th, 2015, 05:55 PM

Checked choke operation tonight. Choke sets fine (with one press of pedal). Car started and idled on fast idle but as soon as I pressed the throttle again (less than a minute later) it dropped off fast idle and died. I also see some gas seepage staining at secondary shaft on base plate as well as from gasket between top plate and main body at front pass side. I checked the front bolts (carb to intake) and they were not as tight as the rear so I turned them about a quarter of a turn and wiped off the gas stains. Drove about 3 miles and parked it. I thought the choke was supposed to step down as the motor warms up so maybe that needs adjustment? Will drive more next chance I get in daylight and see if it still dies out at idle or leaks at top gasket. Thanks for the advice. I am not very good with carb/choke problems.
Old January 19th, 2015, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Gary M
Checked choke operation tonight. Choke sets fine (with one press of pedal). Car started and idled on fast idle but as soon as I pressed the throttle again (less than a minute later) it dropped off fast idle and died. I also see some gas seepage staining at secondary shaft on base plate as well as from gasket between top plate and main body at front pass side. I checked the front bolts (carb to intake) and they were not as tight as the rear so I turned them about a quarter of a turn and wiped off the gas stains. Drove about 3 miles and parked it. I thought the choke was supposed to step down as the motor warms up so maybe that needs adjustment? Will drive more next chance I get in daylight and see if it still dies out at idle or leaks at top gasket. Thanks for the advice. I am not very good with carb/choke problems.
You are SO close to a full understanding of the choke and Fast Idle systems. Try a you tube search on this subject. The fast idle cam is moved, at times, by the choke as it warms up. One can manipulate the FI cam into position using the choke plate and/or the weight on/near the FI cam on the carb's RH side. The choke is allowed to move by itself, even if the FI cam is held in position by contact with its adjusting screw, as when the car is unattended on fast idle. Then, when the carb is opened a bit by the operator, the FI cam is allowed to fall down to a postion as currently allowed by the choke- from a little lower down to regular curb idle speed.
Old January 19th, 2015, 06:36 PM

Will do the u tube search to learn how to adjust. Thanks again.
Old August 6th, 2021, 10:28 PM

Check your timing, late timing will cause a bog. Also a carb kit and adjusting your floats and secondary opening may help, It helped my car.
Old August 7th, 2021, 04:44 AM

Old post..