General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Rear end question advice please

Search this Thread

Old September 11th, 2011, 10:36 PM

Rear end question advice please

I have a 1969 Cutlass with a 12 bolt differential. It's a one tire fire peg leg. It's a Sunday cruiser not a race car. My question is, Is it safe to put a spool in the rear end? I can't afford to do it the correct way with a full posi unit. I would love nothing more than to be able to smoke both tires. I don't drive in the rain. Will I break axles?? Will the tire Drag when I turn?? Is it unsafe for cruising?? I have an open mind to the subject and any advice is welcome. Thanks
Old September 11th, 2011, 11:43 PM

If you decide to put a spool in your rear end you will definitely have driveability issues on the street. With the spool both wheels will turn at the same rate absolutely. When you turn, the inside wheel will want to turn slower than the outside wheel. This will cause abnormal wear patterns on your tires. In addition to this, your turning radius will be decreased because of the inability for the tires to turn at different rates. You can do this on a street car, but be prepared for issues when parking in tight spaces or driving on slick roads.

Another question you need to have answered is whether your 12 bolt is a true 12 bolt (8.75" ring gear) or an Oldsmobile 12 bolt (8.5" ring gear). The latter is hard to find parts for...there are a few resources for them but you are limited. I am not trying to persuade you either way...I'm just trying to give you more information with which to base your decision. Either way, good luck with it!
Old September 12th, 2011, 07:46 AM

Spools don't work on street cars. Just be patient and save up for a posi unit.
Old September 12th, 2011, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by jag1886
Spools don't work on street cars. Just be patient and save up for a posi unit.

I'm going to rephrase this just a little.

Spools don't work WELL on street cars. I say this because a good friend of mine has been running a spool on the street for, oh, some 20 odd years now. Yes it drags the tires when he turns, and yes it has a wider turning radius, but he knew that would happen when he installed it.

But I would agree that it's not the best solution and you should either deal with the peg leg or save up some money and have it done properly with either a replacement carrier for your axle, or find a complete axle and just swap them out.
Old September 12th, 2011, 11:22 AM

Spools on a street car are not much fun unless it is a radical type hot rod. Not very fun on a sunday cruise type car and also depending on how sticky your tires are, it makes life pretty tough on your axles if they are stock.
Old September 12th, 2011, 11:15 PM

Thanks for the advice. Think I will wait for money to come along some day and do it the right way.