General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

u joint and rear end identification please.

Search this Thread

Old August 17th, 2011, 04:43 PM

u joint and rear end identification please.

hi guys, finally got some time to work on the car. i hope someone can help me decode the rear end the numbers on the rear end passenger side are 1235197. the car is a 72 cutlass supreme. i see its got the four bolts behind the brakes. i also am trying to replace the u joints but i think i may have the nylon clips on the old ones. i got the drive shaft out and it had regular c clips on two of the bearings. i dont see any clpis on the other two bearings and . i put a pic up at www.cluelesscutless.blogspot.com . do i just beat these out. now im also wondering if the new u joints i got are the correct ones. thanks for the respnces.

Last edited by cluelesscutlass; August 17th, 2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old August 17th, 2011, 07:38 PM

Not really sure what's going on today, but kinda learned a lesson as a kid with my moms car. The U-joints were starting to go, and my dad and I being the geniuses we are, decided to DYI it on the basement work bench. A week later, the whole thing came apart, with my brother and I installing another shaft from the bone yard in a gas station parking lot. The nylon clips are nothing, but would highly recommend having a machine shop doing all the press fitting.
Old August 17th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

"Blog not found
Sorry, the blog you were looking for does not exist. However, the name cluelesscutless is available to register!
"

U-Joints are fairly easy, and I don't know how you could screw them up.

1. Remove clips
2. Do not clamp driveshaft tube in vise (it can be crushed)
3. Support driveshaft or yoke, and, using appropriately sized drift (ahem.old1/2"drivesocket.ahem) whale on cup to push opposite cup out of yoke.
4. Now support opposite way and whale on end of cross to knock the end you just banged IN, OUT.
5. Installation goes a lot easier with a tiny smear of grease on the surfaces, and if you leave the cups in the freezer for an hour or 2. A couple of taps and it's all in place.
6. Don't forget the clips.

- Eric
Old August 17th, 2011, 08:53 PM

sorry spelled it wrong www.cluelesscutlass.blogspot.com. i guess i need to really whale on them. the guy at napa say all replacement u joints are the same. i was just unsure if the nylon clips changed anything.
Old August 17th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

That sure is an awful noise. Do the u joints have any play in them?

How about the pinion yoke?
Old August 17th, 2011, 09:25 PM

No play. I took off the rear end cover and drained the oil. I'm happy to say there was no metal shavings. I hope the u joints help but I kinda think its gonna be the pinion bearing.
Old August 18th, 2011, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
"Blog not found
Sorry, the blog you were looking for does not exist. However, the name cluelesscutless is available to register!
"

U-Joints are fairly easy, and I don't know how you could screw them up.

1. Remove clips
2. Do not clamp driveshaft tube in vise (it can be crushed)
3. Support driveshaft or yoke, and, using appropriately sized drift (ahem.old1/2"drivesocket.ahem) whale on cup to push opposite cup out of yoke.
4. Now support opposite way and whale on end of cross to knock the end you just banged IN, OUT.
5. Installation goes a lot easier with a tiny smear of grease on the surfaces, and if you leave the cups in the freezer for an hour or 2. A couple of taps and it's all in place.
6. Don't forget the clips.

- Eric
That all makes perfect sense now, but was all of 15 years old, with my dad scratching his head. We really screwed things up. The clips were used, but somehow a Dremel grinding tool got involved. Didn't even officially have a drivers license, but just gassing up my moms car before school. Kinda learned a few things since then, as build my own engines now.