General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Real proud of it!

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Lansing built

Real proud of it!

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...&&aff=national
There was a special request to stop with the donks, I know that these are upseting to us OEM types! From the funny posts on the last one, Just could not help my self! $89,999 finish the quote "you got to be ______ kidding me"

Regards, Pat
Old January 26th, 2012, 09:29 AM

well the seats actually look nicely done
Old January 26th, 2012, 09:56 AM

Not my kind of ride , but hey , to each there own.
Old January 26th, 2012, 12:31 PM

I think I will buy a new 650HP Mustang and spend the left over $20,000 on women and wine!
Old January 26th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Old School Olds

If I had that kind of $ to spend on an Olds
I'm going 69 H/O hunting!
Old January 31st, 2012, 10:54 AM

Price is WAAAYYYYY too high (factor of at least 3.5x) but it's a nice color combo and the rims aren't excessive compared to some...I would drive it.
Old January 31st, 2012, 11:48 AM
Mak

Originally Posted by lsutigers93
the rims aren't excessive
Huh???
Old January 31st, 2012, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by mak
huh???
x2
Old January 31st, 2012, 09:46 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 1970cs
There was a special request to stop with the donks, I know that these are upseting to us OEM types! From the funny posts on the last one, Just could not help my self! $89,999 finish the quote "you got to be ______ kidding me" Regards, Pat
Really? Who wouldn't jump under that one?? I'll wait for you post a really nice OEM style car.
Old January 31st, 2012, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mak
Huh???
Guessing your prejudices caused you to miss the rest of the statement so let me reiterate the COMPLETE thought: COMPARED TO SOME I HAVE SEEN, the wheels aren't excessive. The 80s G-body from Craigslist (?) discussed somewhere else on here comes to mind as what I would consider "excessive." The wheels on this car complement the color scheme and don't scream for attention like they COULD. And YES I see the car is lifted...

Just because I TEND to prefer OEM looks doesn't mean that I'm NOT open to doing something different, nor do I look down my nose at those who go that route. To each his or her own, and some need to get over themselves.

/rant
Old January 31st, 2012, 11:29 PM

I don't it's so much about getting over ourselves as realising that what we are complaining about is the fact that most (not all) of the guys that do this do get just how dangerous they make the cars when they do it. First thing is they put these huge wheels on the car and do NOTHING with the brakes. Then so they can make the hweel clear the fenders and quarter panels they raise the car up in the ar higher than my 4x4 S10, thus raising the center of gravity so much that the cars make a suzuki samurai look like a go kart!

/rant :P
Old February 1st, 2012, 05:03 AM

Just think of the excessive load on the front end geometry ,
Old February 1st, 2012, 05:58 AM

For $90,000 I don't think you should have to crank the windows up and down. I do like the steering wheel though, it looks like they chromed it. Not my cup of tea at all but I find those type of cars are rather amusing; ah, the lengths people will go to be noticed.
Old February 1st, 2012, 06:35 AM
Mak

The wheels on this car complement the color scheme and and don't scream for attention like they COULD.
Really??? Are you being serious?
Old February 1st, 2012, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mak
Really??? Are you being serious?
Well they're not fully chromed, not are they a loud and/or contrasting color with respect to the body color...and I already acknowledged that their size required lifting the body.

Let me guess...if this were a 4x4 pickup lifted (even though it would never see a practical use for the lift) in a similar manner, you would be all over it, correct?

These threads have no other purpose than to mock a subset of owners who modify their cars in ways they see fit. These modifications bother certain members, who then feel the need to hold up these examples and make unknowing assumptions about the owner of said car. It is no different than the early 50s rodders dropping bodies over the frames, sectioning pillars, etcetera. Those modifications had no practical reason as their basis; they were made for the sole purpose of visual "appeal," as judged by the car's owner. How many of you who sneer in judgment of a "donk" also decry PERMANENT modifications on a 50s Olds?

If you don't like it, fine. Go fulminate in a corner by yourself but quit clogging up an otherwise fine forum with your petty prejudices.
Old February 1st, 2012, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by svnt442
I don't it's so much about getting over ourselves as realising that what we are complaining about is the fact that most (not all) of the guys that do this do get just how dangerous they make the cars when they do it. First thing is they put these huge wheels on the car and do NOTHING with the brakes. Then so they can make the hweel clear the fenders and quarter panels they raise the car up in the ar higher than my 4x4 S10, thus raising the center of gravity so much that the cars make a suzuki samurai look like a go kart!

/rant :P
The car guy in me agrees with the negative performance aspects of these modifications. My problem is with the nature and repetition of the remarks in these threads, many of which have nothing to do with the issues you raised.

To me, these cars are little different from the insanely jacked-up 4x4s that NEVER see a speck of mud but are equipped to cross the Everglades...there is a symmetrical ridiculousness to them both.
Old February 1st, 2012, 10:46 PM

Truly blessed yo. Yng Boss Boy is motivated by haters. Ph33r it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJSicHSEJWU
Old February 1st, 2012, 10:50 PM

There is a bit of a difference between dropping a car down and jacking one up so high you need a step ladder to get in just so you can throw on some "DUBS". The dropped car has no chance of flipping, the brakes are not going to be over powered by the excessive rotating mass of the wheels and people still drop cars to this day.

I've actually seen 30" rims on a Hummer H2 and the tires were just about the same diameter as the stock ones, only there were so short there is no way they had the load rating to be on that vehicle, let alone actually using it the way it was meant to be used.

It's called more brains than money. Sometimes people just don't think before they do something. I see it all the time when people come into my store. Either they are driving around with something dangerous already done to the car, or they want to do something so stupid that it baffles the mind.

If someone wants to "DONK" a show car...go for it. Just don't drive it on the street.
Besides the center of gravity being too high. I'd lay odds so are the bumpers and I don't feel like either going under the back of that car and blowing the fuel tank, or having him climb my trunk and take out my rear window.
Old February 1st, 2012, 11:17 PM
Mak

Well they're not fully chromed, not are they a loud and/or contrasting color with respect to the body color...and I already acknowledged that their size required lifting the body.

Let me guess...if this were a 4x4 pickup lifted (even though it would never see a practical use for the lift) in a similar manner, you would be all over it, correct?

These threads have no other purpose than to mock a subset of owners who modify their cars in ways they see fit. These modifications bother certain members, who then feel the need to hold up these examples and make unknowing assumptions about the owner of said car. It is no different than the early 50s rodders dropping bodies over the frames, sectioning pillars, etcetera. Those modifications had no practical reason as their basis; they were made for the sole purpose of visual "appeal," as judged by the car's owner. How many of you who sneer in judgment of a "donk" also decry PERMANENT modifications on a 50s Olds?

If you don't like it, fine. Go fulminate in a corner by yourself but quit clogging up an otherwise fine forum with your petty prejudices.
Your killin' me!
Old February 2nd, 2012, 12:48 PM

There is a bit of a difference between dropping a car down and jacking one up so high you need a step ladder to get in just so you can throw on some "DUBS". The dropped car has no chance of flipping, the brakes are not going to be over powered by the excessive rotating mass of the wheels and people still drop cars to this day.

I've actually seen 30" rims on a Hummer H2 and the tires were just about the same diameter as the stock ones, only there were so short there is no way they had the load rating to be on that vehicle, let alone actually using it the way it was meant to be used.

It's called more brains than money. Sometimes people just don't think before they do something. I see it all the time when people come into my store. Either they are driving around with something dangerous already done to the car, or they want to do something so stupid that it baffles the mind.

If someone wants to "DONK" a show car...go for it. Just don't drive it on the street.
Besides the center of gravity being too high. I'd lay odds so are the bumpers and I don't feel like either going under the back of that car and blowing the fuel tank, or having him climb my trunk and take out my rear window.
THIS is REASON that I can agree with. IMO anything over 20" is overkill on a passenger car.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mak
Your killin' me!
Awww so cute...you have an image saved to your computer for use in moments such as these! You're killing me!
Old February 2nd, 2012, 12:54 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Trying to see both sides....

The car guy in me agrees with the negative performance aspects of these modifications.
One of the things I have seen (You tube) that demonstrates one of the dangerous and inefficient use of the donk wheels is the relative inability to turn the car. In a straight line, it will be fine. Turning corners or parking? Seems to be another story. I watched a donk try to make a U turn in a rather wide street. Back/forth about 17 times just to get turned about. That's not great, and based on that it would probably never make it through a drive through that has a curved lane. Mind you if it was a 'straight' through - the driver would be at the same height as the pick up window .

Another question that comes to mind is the cars ability to accelerate and measure speed? I know some folks worry about whether the brakes will work right, but I think that's pretty academic. They should have the same braking power as they did before the mod.

What can be more dangerous though is the size of the wheels limiting the ability to accelerate out of a dangerous spot if the need arises. Again, there's the counter arguement that sitting up that high means you should be able to see better. But that doesn't help if you don't see the hazard till too late .

As far as speed? With the big wheels what kind of adapter (if any) is used to measure the accuracy of car speed? I would guess most of these cars rely on a gps system to provide actual speed. That's ok with me. I use it on my 72 because I know the speedo is not accurate with 225/70/14 and we measure speeds in km/hr up here; which my car doesn't have.

Look, simply put I am not a donk fan. But..... I have seen some that actually fascinate me and have a really nice look. It's obvious in some cases that the owner has put tons of money into creating perfect paint (sometimes wild colors, but WTH) intriguing classy looking upholstery (not all, but some) and air ride suspensions (again not all but some). What I've noticed is that most of the really classy donks were on BIG cars - mostly Caprices/Impalas. Don't know what it is about the 71-76 big Chevies, but I like the looks of them, even with the donks on them. IMO, it just overpowers the smaller A bodies. Seen some really cool A body low riders with smaller wheels that look killer. Wouldn't buy one, but appreciate the work that went into it. I understand that most of the donks out there reflect a part of the automobile culture. It also shows the degree of creativeness people can go to to achieve a reflection of their tastes. I'm sure that in their forums, the folks here (myself included) would simply be classified as 'boring stockers'. I'm ok with that too.

I don't think it's fair to classify any of the well done donk cars as 'hoopty's. Just doesn't fit with the def. If all that's done is throw on a set of 26's to a POS, yes then I think the term 'hoopty' fits.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 01:10 PM
car guy

Personal opinion of the car aside. I see a $8K set of wheels and a $18K car. My math is a little fuzzy but I am having a hard time adding to their numbers in any way or fashion.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 01:29 PM
Mak

Awww so cute...you have an image saved to your computer for use in moments such as these!
I have a few...
Old February 2nd, 2012, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
I know some folks worry about whether the brakes will work right, but I think that's pretty academic. They should have the same braking power as they did before the mod.
Allan this is true that the brakes have the same power, but what they don't have is the same effectiveness. It's a rotational mass issue at play. You increase the diameter of anything and the rotational mass goes up. That makes it much harder to stop from spinning.

You can even feel it if you were to take a yo-yo and spin it at about 1' from your hand and then let it fly out at full roll out.

With a tire/wheel combo that weighs 75-100 lbs that makes a huge difference.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:37 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Allan this is true that the brakes have the same power, but what they don't have is the same effectiveness. It's a rotational mass issue at play. You increase the diameter of anything and the rotational mass goes up. That makes it much harder to stop from spinning.
Point taken, I hadn't looked at it that way. Thx for the clarification Randy.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 11:59 PM

np