General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Rare intake

Search this Thread

Old September 1st, 2018, 06:17 AM

Rare intake

Saw this on Facebook..covers say sharp equipped and Hurst Olds

Last edited by marxjunk; September 1st, 2018 at 06:50 AM.
Old September 1st, 2018, 07:45 AM
Shoveling Snow

There out in the wild. About a dozen were made.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
img944.jpg (335.1 KB, 19 views)
100_2892.jpg (208.2 KB, 16 views)
Image 1.jpg (417.0 KB, 15 views)
sharp manifold.jpg (264.6 KB, 17 views)
old comp 541.jpg (1.62 MB, 18 views)
Old September 1st, 2018, 09:17 AM
Old(s) Fart

I know where at least two of them are...

Old September 1st, 2018, 09:29 AM
Shoveling Snow

Lansing correct.
Old September 27th, 2020, 05:58 PM

I’ve seen the car and had the pleasure to meet the creator on several occasions, although it has been just a while. He ultimately went to a dual quad setup, but even practical folks like myself have to smile at the sheer “over-the-top” notion. Truthfully, I’d like to have the intake purely for a conversation piece if nothing else..
Old September 27th, 2020, 06:49 PM

Sorry if I’m sending this thread awry - Re: Quad Quad (I do love that thing)

1) The mist that develops above the carbs, is that some sort of reversion or is it condensation or is it something else?

2) Why do the secondary air flaps stutter instead of smoothly opening?

That blower manifold is nice, if you had one of those it sure would save some work machining something else.
Old September 27th, 2020, 07:15 PM

Apologies folks, I’m two for two today as far as info-f$&@k ups! I was thinking of another crazy intake thread. Maybe I need to get some rest..
Old September 28th, 2020, 03:02 PM

He's venting fuel because of the open tops. Creates a low pressure area above the carb and suction happens. You can even hear it change when it happens. Put a box around them or air filters and that will stop as long as the lid is far enough away from the air valves or the bowl vent.
Old September 28th, 2020, 03:27 PM

bad *** setup ! , but tell me what is the modern way to go in order to dump the amount of fuel that thing is dumping
Old September 28th, 2020, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by bccan
Sorry if I’m sending this thread awry - Re: Quad Quad (I do love that thing)

1) The mist that develops above the carbs, is that some sort of reversion or is it condensation or is it something else?

2) Why do the secondary air flaps stutter instead of smoothly opening?
Two symptoms of the same problem. The intake air stream is reversing due to the sonic tuning of the Independent Runner (IR) manifold. The fuel / air mix blowing backwards out of the carb has been through the venturis twice, it's extra-rich--and the air motion plays hell with the air valve which wasn't designed to flow air backwards.

Originally Posted by TripDeuces
He's venting fuel because of the open tops. Creates a low pressure area above the carb and suction happens. You can even hear it change when it happens. Put a box around them or air filters and that will stop as long as the lid is far enough away from the air valves or the bowl vent.
A box around the carb inlet would contain the fuel mist, but it wouldn't stop the creation of the fuel mist. The fuel mist is due to the intake construction--no plenum, each cylinder has it's own primary and secondary "barrels".

Every time the intake valve shuts, it sends a "ram-tuned" positive-pressure wave back out of the carb, carrying a "double load" of fuel with it, and in the process, it's interfering with the smooth operation of the air valve.

CONTAIN the fuel fog, and that air/fuel mix goes back down the carb AGAIN, picking up even more fuel. The Q-Jet design is unsuitable for this application--I don't know how you'd fix the air-valve problem, or lean-out the mixture so that three trips through the venturis gets just the right amount of fuel.

Last edited by Schurkey; September 28th, 2020 at 04:12 PM.
Old September 29th, 2020, 08:46 AM

According to the August 66 Car Craft, the long ram Mopar intake tuned for 3000 rpm and then later the engineers found they could tune for higher rpm with a shorter ram, and get a secondary effect at half that rpm. Same issue of CC that covered the 66 W30 conversion at Hurst Performance on Dave Landrith's car. If you look at the photo of the short block closely, you can see it has a D cast in the side of the"400" so Dave actually used a 425, probably a Toro engine so it would take .921" lifters and a 39 degree cam like the 400.
Old September 29th, 2020, 08:56 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
If you look at the photo of the short block closely, you can see it has a D cast in the side of the"400" so Dave actually used a 425, probably a Toro engine so it would take .921" lifters and a 39 degree cam like the 400.
That's great! I remember articles about mushroom lifters to get a larger effective lifter diameter to better use the cam lobe profile. I'm assuming the block was sleeved to get the 4.000 bore?