General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

QuickJack for A Body

Search this Thread

Old November 18th, 2020, 01:00 PM

QuickJack for A Body

Does anyone have a recommendation for the QuickJack model for a '70 442 (68-72 A body)? QJ has a BL-6000XLT that seems to be compatible with the A body lift point spread. My measurements for their spread range are from the frame corners behind the front wheels and ahead of the rear wheels. Any other thoughts/considerations/concerns from current QJ users? I called QJ to ask them and they were a bit puzzled about what a 68-72 GM A body car was. Ha!

Thanks in advance and have a great Thanksgiving next week.

- Les
Old November 18th, 2020, 02:06 PM

I did not know that it was called a quick-jack. I use jacks from early eighties GM. Has round pad to fit into round hole in frame at points you describe. Works great for me and no damage to the bumper or tail lights.
Old November 18th, 2020, 02:13 PM

Thanks for the reply. My apologies; I should have included the product website link for this: www.quickjack.com.

Cheers...
Old November 18th, 2020, 02:23 PM
Beer Connoisseur

I have BL-7000EXT. Spread range on it is perfectly fine, it can be adjusted 7-8".
Works really well, the only thing I don't like is that it blocks access to the trans crossmember bolts. I find it very useful when I pull engines out of my cars, because it lowers and raises in an angle.
Old November 18th, 2020, 02:30 PM

OK. So with that QJ one would use that in the garage or other hard surface. The jacks I refer to are scissors type GM to have in the trunk in case of flat tires.
Old November 18th, 2020, 02:52 PM

Crawling in and out and crawling around under a car is not happenin with me.
Old November 18th, 2020, 03:07 PM

Thank you! That helps greatly. Your QJ model is my other consideration. I don't mind if it blocks the x-member bolts. I've got a resource for that if I need the clear space. I'm just trying to get away from jack stands and such.

Cheers,
Old November 18th, 2020, 03:50 PM
1968 Olds Cutlass S

If you are open to another brand, this is the one I have and it works well. https://www.ezcarlift.com/
Old November 18th, 2020, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by jdana24
If you are open to another brand, this is the one I have and it works well. https://www.ezcarlift.com/
Hey thanks! I’ll check it out. Much appreciated...
Old November 20th, 2020, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by elira
Does anyone have a recommendation for the QuickJack model for a '70 442 (68-72 A body)? QJ has a BL-6000XLT that seems to be compatible with the A body lift point spread. My measurements for their spread range are from the frame corners behind the front wheels and ahead of the rear wheels. Any other thoughts/considerations/concerns from current QJ users? I called QJ to ask them and they were a bit puzzled about what a 68-72 GM A body car was.
That's a heap of money to lift a car so the wheels don't touch the ground, from a company that thinks an intermediate car has an extra-long wheelbase. Frankly, they scare me.

When it was me, I bought a Rotary (Made-in-USA) low-rise lift from my former employer. Brings the wheels to waist-height, perfect for tire and brake work. I paid $900, used. Not as portable as the one you're looking at.
Old November 21st, 2020, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Schurkey
That's a heap of money to lift a car so the wheels don't touch the ground, from a company that thinks an intermediate car has an extra-long wheelbase. Frankly, they scare me.

When it was me, I bought a Rotary (Made-in-USA) low-rise lift from my former employer. Brings the wheels to waist-height, perfect for tire and brake work. I paid $900, used. Not as portable as the one you're looking at.
‘Thanks for the info. I took a look at their products but I need the underside clear for general maintenance, etc. Looks like a good product, though.
Old November 21st, 2020, 06:46 AM

I have BL 5000EXT that I bought for my '72 vert and '70 Chevelle. I find it easy and safe. I did buy a set of pinch weld blocks for my newer cars, they work great.
Old November 21st, 2020, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Dave26
I have BL 5000EXT that I bought for my '72 vert and '70 Chevelle. I find it easy and safe. I did buy a set of pinch weld blocks for my newer cars, they work great.
Thanks Dave. Yep, I’m probably going to go with either their 5000 or 7000 EXT, depending on what cross fits with our other family cars.

—————-

Les Bowles
Old November 21st, 2020, 07:58 AM

Just an additional piece of information.....even though my Quick Jacks are an EXT they work just fine with my short wheel base BMW X3 and my brother's Mazda 3.
Old November 21st, 2020, 08:21 AM

Just an additional piece of information.....even though my Quick Jacks are an EXT they work just fine with my short wheel base BMW X3 and my brother's Mazda 3.
Perfect...thank you. Our other rides should work w/ it - BMW i3 & VW Beetle.
Old December 10th, 2020, 01:17 PM

Thanks again for your info. I got the 5000EXT, put it all together and am using it. As you said, it's easy, safe and works just fine.

- Les

Old December 11th, 2020, 05:18 AM

Thanks for starting this thread, I am considering getting a short lift for my shop as it has only about a 7' ceiling. There is a article on lifts in the latest Hemmings Magazine, any of you see that?
Old December 11th, 2020, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Thanks for starting this thread, I am considering getting a short lift for my shop as it has only about a 7' ceiling. There is a article on lifts in the latest Hemmings Magazine, any of you see that?
No, haven’t seen the Hemings article. It will work fine w/ a 7’ ceiling. My garage ceiling is 8’ and there’s plenty of clearance above. 21” of vertical clear space front to back underneath. Have been “down below” doing some detailing for the past two days. 👍