General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Question about a 1957 oldsmobile convertable j2

Search this Thread

Old January 1st, 2008, 07:35 PM

Question about a 1957 oldsmobile convertable j2

I am trying to determine the value of a 1957 Oldsmobile Starfire 98 J2 convertable. Any advice would be appreciated. My father in law had one in his garage when he passed away. It has not been out of the garage or started in at least 7 years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
T-bird and Olds 001.jpg (39.3 KB, 44 views)
T-bird and Olds 010.jpg (33.7 KB, 46 views)
T-bird and Olds 012.jpg (35.5 KB, 34 views)
T-bird and Olds 015.jpg (48.0 KB, 40 views)
T-bird and Olds 016.jpg (27.2 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by simmynole; January 4th, 2008 at 05:36 AM. Reason: pictures
Old January 1st, 2008, 07:52 PM

Low Average High

$33,495 $75,835 $116,580

Taken from the Kelly Blue Book website. Yours would be at the low end being that it has sat up for seven years (or more) and would probably need an extensive restoration to be up in the average area. That being said, it's all relative. It's only worth what someone else is willing to give you.
Old January 1st, 2008, 08:03 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

EXTRA high
http://adcache.collectorcartrader.co...6/89381666.htm
Old January 2nd, 2008, 06:31 AM

It would be awsome if you could post some pics.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 07:12 PM

pictures

Pictures of the oldsmobile are now attached
Old January 4th, 2008, 04:57 AM
Past Administrator

Nice looking Olds! makes that little T-bird look like a pedal car.
Old January 4th, 2008, 05:50 AM

Man that is a nice car. I would gladly give you my first born child for that. Or I would sell myself into slavery for any number of years just to get a ride in it.
Old January 4th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Past Administrator

What firstborn child? Your Mom is still waiting for you to make her a grandmother......
Old January 4th, 2008, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
What firstborn child? Your Mom is still waiting for you to make her a grandmother......
!!OWNED!!
Old January 21st, 2008, 06:57 PM

FYI - we sold this car for $24300.00
Old January 22nd, 2008, 05:49 AM

Aww this should have been posted in the for sale section. If your sale falls through contact me! Nice car..
Old January 23rd, 2008, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by simmynole
FYI - we sold this car for $24300.00

These things puzzle me... This guys Father in law has it in his garage and has owned it for a long time. Father In Law kicks the bucket. Kids go thru and sell off the old guys stuff like it's nothing, nothing but $$$ to the kids! Dosen't anyone have a sense of legacy, rememberance, heirloominess ( I don't think that's a word yet), you know something to remember the family member who has passed on ? You see this all the time on Ebay... " This blah blah car was my grandfathers who recently passed on, he gave it to me now I want to squeeze as much money out of it as I can" No regard to that maybe grandpa willed his classic to his grandson out of love.....

Oh well, carry on then.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 09:17 PM
Rocketeer Jr.

Originally Posted by Modern Motoring
These things puzzle me... This guys Father in law has it in his garage and has owned it for a long time. Father In Law kicks the bucket. Kids go thru and sell off the old guys stuff like it's nothing, nothing but $$$ to the kids! Dosen't anyone have a sense of legacy, rememberance, heirloominess ( I don't think that's a word yet), you know something to remember the family member who has passed on ? You see this all the time on Ebay... " This blah blah car was my grandfathers who recently passed on, he gave it to me now I want to squeeze as much money out of it as I can" No regard to that maybe grandpa willed his classic to his grandson out of love.....

Oh well, carry on then.

MM, I know EXACTLY what you mean.

#1 '56 S-88 convert, my Dad bought used in '58, theres NO amount of money that can replace the times we spent together with this car.

#2 '66 Chevelle, my Grandpa worked his *** off all his life in coal mines and the steel mill, and the day he retired he payed CASH for that thing, only to die of a heart attack 13 days later. I refer to this car as "toil".

#3 '54 Harley FLF, Dad bought used in '63, The rides on this one Forged my adult life as a biker.

Thier all out in the shop now, probably wishing their former owners were still alive, so do I, but that aint' reality.

Except in the case of dire medical emergency, while I'm alive, none of these rides will ever be sold, and THATS REALITY.

Jeff +6

BTW, that was a good observation on your part, it really hit home, Thanks

Last edited by jeffrey; January 23rd, 2008 at 09:22 PM.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 11:38 PM
dar83501

i can't begin to describe the heinous things i'd do to have that car.

Old January 24th, 2008, 03:53 AM

57 Olds

One nice 57 Olds! Someones is & the T-Bird!

My friend just bought a 56 T-Bird 312 V8 with 2 tops in Cape Coral, Fla yesterday for $25,000 from a widow. I wonder????
Old January 24th, 2008, 08:55 PM

Wow. It must be nice to sit in judgement about someone or something you know nothing about. I realize that if you view these pages on a regular basis you are most likely very passionate about the subject. My father in law did not leave the Olds to me. My mother in law wanted to sell the car based on a lack of life insurance and space in her garage. I am not a car enthusiast nor do I have the funds available to restore a vehicle the way it need to be done. It was simply a way to try and help a family member during rough times. Of the two cars the t-bird has much more sentimental value. He owned it much longer and wanted it kept in the family if possible. We are going to attempt to restore that car and enjoy it the way it should be. If you saw one that was similar and sold I can assure you it was not the same car. In the future please keep your mean spirited comments to yourself.
Old January 25th, 2008, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by Nailhead 88
........ 56 T-Bird ........
The one in the pic, is a '55.

Norm
Old January 26th, 2008, 04:33 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by simmynole
Wow. It must be nice to sit in judgement about someone or something you know nothing about. I realize that if you view these pages on a regular basis you are most likely very passionate about the subject. My father in law did not leave the Olds to me. My mother in law wanted to sell the car based on a lack of life insurance and space in her garage. I am not a car enthusiast nor do I have the funds available to restore a vehicle the way it need to be done. It was simply a way to try and help a family member during rough times. Of the two cars the t-bird has much more sentimental value. He owned it much longer and wanted it kept in the family if possible. We are going to attempt to restore that car and enjoy it the way it should be. If you saw one that was similar and sold I can assure you it was not the same car. In the future please keep your mean spirited comments to yourself.
Hey, thanks for the back story on these cars. 95% of the time an initial post such as yours plays out exactly as the scenario I described. If you feel if my posting rang true to you or you were offended, I apologize, but this being The United States of America, I have the freedom of speech. IE the freedom to voice my opinion on whatever I want, you also have the right not to listen ( or read as the case here) to what I have to say and simply write me off as an opinionated jerk ( if so, so be it, no offence taken) .
Good luck to you and your family on the restoration and enjoyment of the T-Bird! I'm sure F-I-L would be pleased that you are keeping it in the family. I also tip my hat to the passing of a fellow old car enthusiast, his garage now is "heavenly" !