General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Qudrajet problem (non Olds)

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2012, 09:02 PM

Qudrajet problem (non Olds)

The qudrajet in my Frankenstein Chevy powered Land Cruser has a problem, it dies as though it is out of gas, in fact it is out gas. I can't seem to get gas to flow into the carb bowels.I have replaced both the carb filter and the in line filter and I have gas to the carb.Fuel pump will fill a coke bottle in about 15 seconds from the outboard side of the in line filter so there is gas going to the carb, but I have no way to check for fuel pressure at this time.I added 3 gallons of gas to the tank just in case the gage was wrong. If I dump gas down the horn and fill up the bowels the engine will run till gas is exhausted then it dies.I popped the top off the carb and blew out the jets and looked at the floats, all looked good to me, but what do I know ? The question is what would keep the gas from flowing into the bowels?And what can I do to fix it.....Thanks in advance this is my serious bad weather vehicle and it's snowing as I type ....Tedd
Old January 19th, 2012, 09:08 PM
1974 DELTA 88

Is the needle still attached to the float? Just a thought, I suppose it could come loose from the float somehow and never unseat.

Also, does the float itself move freely? When the bowls are empty, you should see the float in the down position and the needle fully raised up out of the seat by the float lever.

Last edited by AZ455; January 19th, 2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old January 19th, 2012, 10:30 PM

When you did the coke bottle test did you push the fuel line to the bottom of the bottle and watch for air bubbles bubbling up through the gas in the bottle? Bubbles in the fuel pump output are a sign of a hole in the pump diaphragm. That means a new fuel pump is in order.
Old January 19th, 2012, 10:37 PM

I, also would guess the needle + seat is the problem.
See if the needle comes off the seat when you pick up the float!
Hope that little 'needle clip hanger' is still there and not broke!
Old January 20th, 2012, 03:12 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
If I dump gas down the horn and fill up the bowels
When I have too much gas in my bowels, I try to get it out, myself .
(though that brings us to a different thread about controlling air pollution...)

But seriously...
I would remove the air horn and crank the engine while watching the needle and seat area - see whether fuel is coming in, and if not, remove the rectangular plastic filler and lift out the float and see if the needle is stuck in the seat. If you take the needle out of the seat and crank it, you should get a geyser (careful!). If you don't then the obstruction is before that. If, as you said, you get plenty of bubble-free gas from the carburetor end of the fuel line, then the problem is between there and the seat - did you put the new filter in facing the right way? Is there a piece of crud between the filter and the seat?

- Eric
Old January 20th, 2012, 06:40 AM
1974 DELTA 88

Originally Posted by MDchanic
When I have too much gas in my bowels, I try to get it out, myself .
(though that brings us to a different thread about controlling air pollution...)
I must have misread the original post. I thought we were talking about carburetors.
Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
If I dump gas down the horn and fill up the bowels the engine will run till gas is exhausted then it dies.
Usually it's everyone around me who runs until the gas is exhausted.

It's a good thing my state doesn't have 'pollution police' or bowel inspections.
Old January 20th, 2012, 07:12 AM

I didn't notice if there were bubbles in the coke bottle, will check that as soon as it quits raining- snowing (no place to work on it inside).

I'll also check the needle and seat again, as I remember everything looked as it should but could have missed the needle not being attached.

I didn't blow out the carb filter after the old one was removed, something I'll look at next time, good idea there.

If it doesn't quit raining I may pull it down the hill to Chico (it has a tow bar) and find a dry spot to work on it. I'm getting to old and busted up to work out side in this kind of weather.

It's strange the way it failed ,one time it started the next it's dead to the world, no warning what so ever....Thanks for your replies...Tedd
Old January 20th, 2012, 07:17 AM

PS checking my shorts as I type, bowels seem to have recovered ....Tedd
Old January 20th, 2012, 04:20 PM

I am thinking that you have something blocking the needle and seat.

A little spurt of compressed air (or carb cleaner) in your carb behind the filter where the fuel is supposed to flow might blow out what ever is blocking the needle or at least unseat it a little and start some fuel flow.

If that does not get it it will be carb top removal time.

Good luck.
Old January 20th, 2012, 06:55 PM

Thanks Fastbrianman,

I did fill the bowl with carb cleaner twice, then fired it up and ran it dry while doing tests. It wasn't in there very long but I thought it would have dislodged something if it was there.

I have moved the car to Chico to get it inside and dry, I'll keep you all posted on Monday when I get a chance to work on it. It's got to be something simple that I am over looking....Tedd
Old January 24th, 2012, 04:43 PM
1974 DELTA 88

Hey Tedd,

How did it go on Monday?
Old January 24th, 2012, 05:54 PM

Just got it back from Chico, on it's own power and here what I can report on.

#1 replaced fuel line from fuel pump to in line filter and then from in line to carb filter(it had a few old age cracks but other wise didn't look to bad)but could be disintegrating from the inside.

#2 pulled out the new carb filter and blew it out and every thing around it, then hosed it all down with carb cleaner. I think this may have been the problem,don't know for sure. Battery was getting low so I didn't try starting it till today.

#3 Put a shot of air to the fuel pump for good measures and to the tank side
of the gas line everything wanted to flow real well now,quite a mess.

#4 I filled carb with carb cleaner and left it till this morning where upon It started on the first crank and scared the hell out of me ! .So it could have been crud in the filter housing (most likely) or the carb seats or perhaps a gas line collapsing, what ever it was it ran like a scalded ape up the hill today. If it happens again I'll pull the gas tank and work my way to the carb....Thanks for your advise, help...Tedd