General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Purchasing from Out of State

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2017, 10:14 PM

Purchasing from Out of State

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has experience buying vehicles from other states through craigslist. Sometimes I'll find really great looking cars for a fair price, but theyre usually 700+ miles away.
Does anyone know how the money process works if I'm unable to come see the car in person, etc. As for bringing it here, I'm aware of shipping companies that can ship cars from state to state.

All comments welcome, thank you again.
Old January 20th, 2017, 02:18 AM
Always room for one more

This may sound a little far-fetched, but it isn't. If the seller is anywhere near a major airport, go see the car. With a little looking you can find a decent fare pretty much anywhere. Nothing beats seeing the car for yourself. Just build the price of the ticket into what it's going to cost you. Heck by going to see the car in person it might SAVE you a bunch of money!

Just be sure it's understood it's no hard feelings if you're not interested, and that the guy is willing to give you a lift back to the airport. Or have him bring the car to the airport.
Old January 20th, 2017, 04:21 AM

A few years back I took a flight to N. CA to look at a '76 model which had been advertised on eBay. The seller was very good about providing photos of anything I requested. After riding a bus from San Francisco north for 1-1/2 hours, the seller picked me up in the vehicle at a designated stop for the bus. There is no good substitute for seeing the vehicle in person. I still liked what I saw. The money was transferred from my account to his at a Chase bank. The lady at the bank was also a CA notary. She handled all the paperwork. I was given the paperwork and the vehicle, which I drove back to Louisiana where I registered it as an antique and paid the LA tax. Everything went smoothly.
Old January 20th, 2017, 05:50 AM

I've never flown to test drive an Oldsmobile, I have driven hundreds of miles though.

If you can't fly consider hiring a car inspector to check out the car for you. There are folks that do this for classic and exotic cars, especially near major metro areas. If you can't find a professional to look at it consider posting a thread on our forum asking for a member that is nearby to help out. This has worked for members in the past and is a good way to promote camaraderie on our website.
Old January 20th, 2017, 05:58 AM
Runner

I've bought 3 of the Olds I've own site unseen from out of state and even Canada. I do consider myself very lucky to and have been very pleased which each of the purchases. Even with this, I would recommend still trying to find a way or maybe a member here to help check out the car in person. I'm sure you'll hear it over and over again; there is no substitute for you seeing the car in person and knowing exactly what you are considering; that and you will at least know its not a scam.
Old January 20th, 2017, 06:35 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Remember that Craigslist is intended to be a direct "person to person" selling site. just like the want ads in the newspaper.
There is no provision for buying, selling, or exchanging funds remotely, as on eBay.
Craigslist itself displays notices to the effect that users are not supposed to send money or mail items.

Therefore, the answer to your question is that you go there, look at the car, give the seller his preferred form of payment if you like it, and receive the papers and the car immediately, or, if you don't like it, go home.

If there is an alternative solution that you and the seller can agree on, such as sending an agent to buy it for you, that's fine, but unless you completely trust that person, such that he can essentially act as the buyer, it won't work, because the seller does not want to deal with someone's agent - he wants someone to come over, look at the car, and buy it.

- Eric
Old January 20th, 2017, 07:16 AM
Old(s) Fart

I stopped buying cars locally because of rust. The last six or so cars I've bought have been out of state, most from the desert southwest. Only once was I able to see the car before purchase, as I was in the area for business. Every other time, I've had to rely on the seller's descriptions and photos. Only once have I been disappointed - the 64 Vista that I bought from Reno had pretty significant pinchweld rust under the trim for the roof windows that the seller failed to disclose. Of course, most of the cars I buy are relatively low cost and rarely run anyway, so my expectations are low. Mainly I'm looking for rust-free sheet metal.
Old January 20th, 2017, 08:05 AM
1971 442 conv

Originally Posted by Yanek Yakubov
Hello, I was wondering if anyone has experience buying vehicles from other states through craigslist. Sometimes I'll find really great looking cars for a fair price, but theyre usually 700+ miles away.
Does anyone know how the money process works if I'm unable to come see the car in person, etc. As for bringing it here, I'm aware of shipping companies that can ship cars from state to state.

All comments welcome, thank you again.
Try to find a ClassicOldsmobile.com member in the area where the car is located. Maybe the CO member can check the car and seller before you send money. Where is the car at?
Old January 20th, 2017, 08:32 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Texas442
Maybe the CO member can check the car and seller before you send money.
Please note what I posted above: Craigslist specifically states that any deal in which the buyer offers to send money is not permitted.

If you can convince the seller to make a deal like this, that's fine, but understand that it is not the way it is supposed to work, and that because of this, many, if not most, sellers, would refuse such a deal.

I personally, would never make a CL deal in which the buyer was going to "send money."

- Eric
Old January 20th, 2017, 09:29 AM
Olds Fever

I found my 67-W30 in The Auto Trader Magazine which I purchased from one of the local news stands... There was a very small black & white photo, a brief description and a price of $2900... The vehicle was located in Brownsville, Texas... I called the owner, discussed the vehicle in more detail and negotiated a price of $2750... Asked how much was needed for a down payment ($500 via Money Order), and set up a pickup date... Within a week, I drove to Texas, pickup up the 442 and returned home... A key point here is that I actually arrived to pick up the 442 before my deposit arrived to the owner and I only had a bank check for the balance... The owner trusted that I had in fact sent the deposit and we sealed the deal... He later contacted me to let me know he did receive the money order... This transaction was back in the late 80's... Today some would say that would be a big leap of faith...
Old January 20th, 2017, 09:42 AM

It boils down to trust, but two peoples opinion also could differ on "good" condition, have done two long distance deals. One went good and the other one the guy lied thru his teeth. Would want to inspect car in person going forward.

Last edited by classicmuscle442; January 20th, 2017 at 03:53 PM.
Old January 20th, 2017, 10:19 AM

I would not do it the way you described, but I almost have.
Bought from a dealer 1000 miles away but decided that it was too much to spend sight unseen (pictures can lie). Drove up there in the truck, bought it and rented a car hauler trailer from U Haul. Other than overpaying from a dealer, a great road trip experience.

If it was a major fixer, low dollar number I might but the odds are good you will be disappointed someway.
Old January 20th, 2017, 04:18 PM
delete

I did it once & got burned. In the infancy of EBay. Car was misrepresented. I learned a valuable lesson. I talked to the guy a few times but I didn't ask the right questions & I didn't have anybody look at it for me. I honestly don't think the guy was out to screw me. He wasn't that much of a a car guy & I think he saw the car through rose colored glasses. Another time I had a friend stop & look at a car when he was going that way for business. He gave me his report & I negotiated with the guy over the phone. I got comfortable with the guy & knew the car was real. I wired the funds, got the paperwork (took some back & forth to get paperwork that made New York State happy) and bought the car. I grabbed a commuter flight with my plates, slapped them on & drove home. Car had been sitting for two years & had an inch of dust on it.
Old January 20th, 2017, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Texas442
Try to find a ClassicOldsmobile.com member in the area where the car is located. Maybe the CO member can check the car and seller before you send money. Where is the car at?
Thank you guys for the feedback! And yeah there's one car located near Rochester, NY and one near Cleveland, Ohio. Don't know if anyone lives near there.