General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

PS Pulley REMOVAL 101 - w/o damage

Search this Thread

Old July 9th, 2015 | 04:10 AM

PS Pulley REMOVAL 101 - w/o damage

Needed to remove the pulley w/o damaging it the other day. I managed to get photos. This is for pre-puller-lip pumps, the kind where a nut retains to keyed shaft then it's just friction.

If you pry the pulley or touch it with a puller or any such tool, it is ruined.

Here is the process used.

1) get a helper and some gloves.
2) using an impact, remove the nut- typically 7/8 tool size. Hold pulley with gloved hands. Spray lube before and after nut removal.

3) put nut back on, just until flush with end of shaft, to prevent shaft damage while forcing the shaft.

4) Helper holds pump with pulley horizontal using gloved hands, above a soft cushion to protect the pump. Apply brass hammer or perhaps a scrificial piece of aluminum between striker and shaft/ nut. Air hammer shown directly on the shaft/nut, not the best way, but it worked. If shaft moves so that nut is against pulley, you are almost there. If not, you may need to apply heat to break the friction bond.

5) Remove nut again, and continue to hand hammer [brass hammer] or air hammer [preferably with brass drift on the shaft] until the pump drops out of the pulley.

Pump should fall free to the padded surface below, leaving helper holding the undamaged pulley.

NOW you can get those brackets off and clean, change, polish, etc. on all the individual pieces.

USE GREASE or anti-sieze on the pump shaft/ key when reassembling. The nut is self locking prevailing torque type. Use a new one if possible, but they can be reinstalled if need be and still serve the purpose.
Old July 9th, 2015 | 06:08 AM

A lot of good advice here! So I guess I got lucky when mine just came off with a little wiggling
Old July 9th, 2015 | 06:20 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Nice.

Thanks, Chris!

- Eric
Old July 9th, 2015 | 07:40 AM

I'll just throw in ... I never rely on a puller to force a pulley off. Just to apply tension. Same thing with the ball joint separator I use. http://www.princessauto.com/en/detai...or/A-p8004135e

I apply it and add just a bit of pressure. Then take a hammer and tap around it. Check the bolt on the puller ... where did the pressure go? Add a bit more tension ... tap again. Repeat until you're holding multiple parts. It was quite shocking discovering just how much effect those taps (with a 16oz ball peen) had. I discovered it with separating a taper ball joint from the knuckle .. but now I do it for pretty much everything.
Old July 9th, 2015 | 09:56 AM

I will repeat in case someone reads the above
If you TOUCH the pulley with ANY TOOL it will bend and be ruined.

Use the above Rocket Science Approved method only.
touch the pulley only with your hands
use gloves to protect the hands if need be.
when you apply heat, sometimes lots of it, the need becomes greater.

Unless the pulley is already written off, then go ahead and mangle it.

Last edited by Octania; July 9th, 2015 at 07:14 PM.
Old July 9th, 2015 | 09:41 PM

That's just great! Now I have to go out and tear my PS pump apart and clean and paint it. Just another chore I was putting off until someone pointed me in the right direction...Thanks for this. By the way, I usually wear steel toed boots when working on the vehicles. Statue.
Old August 27th, 2015 | 09:39 AM

Good point
I was wearing steel toed shoes when performing this feat.

My kid, called away from gaming for a few minutes to assist, popped on some flip flops.