Tech Editor's Desk Projects, papers, writings, thoughts, musings of our technical editor Joe Padavano. To begin with, he will be making threads and can approve posts to it if he wishes. This can be changed in the future if it does not work out well.

power 101... or engine rebuild 101?!?

Search this Thread

Old April 19th, 2009, 01:13 PM

power 101... or engine rebuild 101?!?

I have a 455rocket, with no idea of what might have previously been done to it as far as rebuild/Mods [different cam?!?..] etc.., it runs strong now, but planning on rebuilding it sometime. How do I select the best component combination for a strong streetable motor, in a large body car? I read a lot of Mags, parts catalogs, etc... but mostly confused at all the options and suggestions and I don't want to make mistake a lot of guys do with getting improperly match components...
I know what cam duration, volumnmetric capacity, compression ratio, etc.. and all means, but not how it applies to making good usable power - let me rephrase -- I'm not sure how to pick a Carb that will properly match a Cam choosen, or intake and/or exhaust that will match those, plus any other mods...
if someone can explain in easy to understand terms [pictures are always helpful]... basically " rebuilding for dummies"... thanks
Old April 19th, 2009, 05:23 PM

I would choose an engine builder who is experienced with big block Oldsmobile engines. Tell him your goals and budget and follow his recommendations, do NOT listen to 8 gazillion guys on the internet. "Too many chefs ruin the stew" Where are you located?
Old April 19th, 2009, 06:41 PM

well, I was kinda hoping to do the rebuild myself... for the joy of doing it (or at least most of it..) and to save money if possible... I am somewhat familiar with engine work, but more of just replacing stock parts. Not familiar with doing engine mods... understand them, but haven't done any as far as power building, yes it's a shame - I should know how . Except carb. rejetting or swap which is easy..
anyway.. live in Atlanta, and finding a Mechanic/shop that really knows his stuff, won't ream me on the price, and I can truly trust is hard to do... that's pretty much why I generally do all my own repairs and its kinda fun {usually}, even on the newer vehicles I have, plus the H-D I have {well, the H-D cause it cost way to much to have Shop do it.. and if you own one you gotta know how to fix'em.}.
Old April 19th, 2009, 07:13 PM

You can still use a builder/vendor, use his advice and purchase the parts from him, have your local machine shop use his clearances and build specs. No biggie. What I am saying is, IMO, he will give you a proven combination for you application, based on his experience. Isn't Kaase up your way? He might be out of your price range, and he is a Ford guy, but there isn't anybody better.

"Reaming on the price" is subjective, quality work on quality machines isn't cheap. IMO, generally speaking, you get what you pay for. Not saying you need to spent 15 grand on a pump gas street engine, but don't low-ball, either. Just my opinion.
Old April 30th, 2009, 09:39 AM

I had mine rebuilt by a chrysler guy and he forgot the distributor oiling plug. He rebuilt it again and well a long story. I ended up taking it to D&S engine service in Detroit. I should have listened and did that in the first place. $ 8000 later I have a good motor. For what its worth that extra $1500 I was going to save was not worth it.
Old April 30th, 2009, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Samson
. live in Atlanta,
Call Peach State Classic in Roswell on Hembre Rd [or Upper Hembre Rd.] and ask Charlie or Randy who they use. That's the best shop in these parts. IMHO