General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Prefab metal garage

Search this Thread

Old February 1st, 2023, 10:27 AM

Prefab metal garage

I have been looking at some prefab metal buildings and I am looking for pros and cons. 10 years ago I would have just constructed the building myself, but my friends list to help has gotten really short. I have been quoted 9600 bucks for a 22’x40’ with 10’ walls, a 10x8 roll up door, and a standard man door, installed on my existing concrete pad. I could probably construct a building, with the concrete pad for the same money, but I don’t have the help to construct, so I’m shopping for a prefab. Thanks in advance
Old February 1st, 2023, 12:18 PM
Old(s) Fart

I assume you are talking about a red iron, metal sided building. More of a kit than "pre-fab". I put up a 28x32 metal structure for my shop. I actually found this complete but assembled about 20 miles away - the seller had bought it and never erected it. I put it up myself with one other guy helping me. These buildings require engineered footings and foundation in addition to the slab. That ended up costing me more than the building "kit". A pole structure is less expensive. I've erected four of those on the farm (barns, garage, and strorage building). I'm in the process of putting up a 40x80 pole building since that 28x32 is hilariously too small.
Old February 1st, 2023, 02:24 PM

Is there any advantage to a "red iron" building over a pole barn? Fire, tornado, tree falling on it?
Old February 1st, 2023, 02:25 PM

and, we are talking about this, right?
Old February 1st, 2023, 02:33 PM

no, i am talking about galvanized 12 gauge tubing for the inner structure, not the red iron. i know some that fabricates the red iron buildings but they didn't want to do a small building like what i want. i will be doing a 22' deep 30-40 wide, depending on what the county will let me install.
Old February 1st, 2023, 02:41 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 65droptop
no, i am talking about galvanized 12 gauge tubing for the inner structure, not the red iron. i know some that fabricates the red iron buildings but they didn't want to do a small building like what i want. i will be doing a 22' deep 30-40 wide, depending on what the county will let me install.
Those are just carports with sides. Can you even get one that large? I guess if you don't live in an area prone to heavy snow or high winds, you might be OK.I know how heavy the roll up door was that I used on my metal building. I'm not sure one of those tube frame buildings could support it.
Old February 1st, 2023, 02:43 PM
Old(s) Fart

Here's a construction photo of mine, with the framework erected and before any panels were installed.

Old February 1st, 2023, 05:28 PM

[QUOTE=joe_padavano;. I'm in the process of putting up a 40x80 pole building since that 28x32 is hilariously too small.[/QUOTE]i put up a 42x60 with 16 ft truss height.they had the poles set and went home for the day so we went out and stood in the middle and told the wife "i shoulda went bigger"she just shook her head and walked away.i wish i had another 20 ft.and i wish i would have put 2 ft overhangs on the ends.
Old February 2nd, 2023, 05:21 AM

My father; Oldsguy, built one similar to the one Joe provided a picture of. It's quite sturdy, but as I recall he spent well over $10k constructing it. You might send him a PM, I don't know how often he checks the site.
Old February 2nd, 2023, 05:40 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Olds64
My father; Oldsguy, built one similar to the one Joe provided a picture of. It's quite sturdy, but as I recall he spent well over $10k constructing it.
Yeah, I don't doubt that. In my case the complete building kit that I got from someone who had previously bought it but never assembled it was probably half price at $5500. The footings, foundation, and slab came to an additional $9K. The roll up door and entry door were something like $1500 total. I did all the work (other than pouring concrete) myself. I'd expect well over $20K to have it done. Of course that doesn't include insulation, electrical, lighting, etc. It also doesn't include renting the backhoe, off-road forklift, and scissor lift I needed to do the grading and assembly.
Old February 2nd, 2023, 05:46 AM

It definitely adds up. Oldsguy had the foundation poured, the building and attached car port constructed, electrical added, spray foam installed and a man cave built in the corner. I texted him a link.
Old February 2nd, 2023, 05:48 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Olds64
It definitely adds up. Oldsguy had the foundation poured, the building and attached car port constructed, electrical added, spray foam installed and a man cave built in the corner. I texted him a link.
Getting all that done for even under $20K was a steal.
Old February 2nd, 2023, 06:26 AM
Past Administrator

Hi, Jesse texted me about this thread. Yes Joe it did cost me well over 20K to put up. I purchased the building from a local metal building place, there a lots of them down here in Northern Texas I guess they are pretty popular here. To the OP, Duane you may consider the durability of the building that you mentioned. As Joe said, they may not be as sturdy as a red metal framed building. Kentucky is a little further south than Missouri and I spent 15+ years there and almost every winter we had snow/ice storms, not sure about there. You have to consider that extra load on the building. Here we get a lot of wind and that can stress a building too. I fully believe that the building I put up which is like the one Joe pictured will serve my needs with no problems. As Joe mentioned, every aspect of putting it up costs. The building itself, the site work, the pad, the electrical, the plumbing (if you plan to do that), the insulation (which I think you should definitely do) all adds up and should be considered. And then any finish work. I took the easy way out and hired an erection team to do the work for me. If I had not I would have had to rent a forklift or man lift to aid in the erection as well and get a better air compressor because I just don't see how you can easily put that thing together without a good air impact driver, or if the building is welded as mine was, then a good welder.

Old February 2nd, 2023, 06:30 AM
Running On Empty

I purchased my building from Olympia Steel Buildings (2009). Basically same as Joe's.
Dimensions: 30'W x 40'L x 14'7"H (center; 14'0"H side walls) (145 mph wind speed)
Concrete pad (contract): $6500
Building (three windows, one entrance door) (including freight): $15,450
Insulated Overhead Garage Doors x2 (wind speed 135 mph) w/ windows (installed [contract]-non-electric): x1 @ 13'H x 10'W ($2200); x1 @ 8'H x 7'W ($1100): $3300
Electrical (I installed all electrical): $2200
General Contractor Crew (Contract) (close friend): $4,000
Equipment Rentals: $1,000
Total Cost: $32,450 (~$27/sq.ft)

Old February 2nd, 2023, 06:37 AM
Old(s) Fart

The other thing to keep in mind is the potential need for permits where you live. I'm in a agricultural area and have a 55 ac. farm. No permits are required in my county for ag buildings, so that wasn't an issue. My building came with all the engineering drawings and documentation I would have needed to get a permit, however.
Old February 2nd, 2023, 06:43 AM
Running On Empty

Essentially (for my building) you call, speak to an engineer, provide answers to questions (#doors, #windows, dimensions, materials, etc.) they drop it into a CAD program, CAD data is fed to metal fabrication, steel girders, panels, roofing, etc. manufactured, blueprints (eng. drawings, documentation) printed, building materials loaded onto trailer then sent to site (my house). I did require building permit - but, peanuts ($85?) for the permit in my area of Podunk, U.S.A.
Old February 3rd, 2023, 11:54 AM

thanks for the input guys, i kinda thought those garage kits were a little cheap. guess i will draw up the plans and just build a pole building. i can build it myself with concrete for under 10k with concrete, might have to pony up and hire a friend of mine and his crew to come put it up.
Old February 3rd, 2023, 12:37 PM
Old(s) Fart

I've put up several pole buildings on the farm. Today's pressure treated lumber is crap. I strongly suggest Perma-Columns with the concrete base that goes in the ground and laminated triple 2x6 uprights. I'm using these for my new building.

https://permacolumn.com/

Old February 3rd, 2023, 12:55 PM
Running On Empty

I use similar material(s) & assembly methods as the Perma-Columns. The one thing you won't see me do is attach a wood base board which touches (water saturated) soil - they might get a couple years out of those boards.

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I've put up several pole buildings on the farm. Today's pressure treated lumber is crap. I strongly suggest Perma-Columns with the concrete base that goes in the ground and laminated triple 2x6 uprights. I'm using these for my new building.

Old February 3rd, 2023, 12:56 PM

I'll throw my $.02 in for a pole barn.

In 2018 I built a 28x36 pole barn with a 12x36 second floor. The shell was done by the local Amish. The walls are 12' high. Total cost was $33,292.46 ($33.03/sf for the base sf and $23.12/sf if you include the upstairs) . It's got plumbing (bathroom) and 220V electric, I did the plumbing and electric myself and a lot of the materials besides the barn and slab were "sourced" very inexpensively (I work for a demolition company). I formed the slab and worked with a buddy to place it. The trusses are 2' on center so I can put solar panels on in the future. The electrical was sized for that as well. The total price includes the 9000 lb Rotary 2 post I purchased used at auction from a local Ford dealership

I can weld but I personally like the pole barn because its wood and its easy to make brackets, shelves, etc

Here are a couple pics:

Last edited by allyolds68; February 3rd, 2023 at 01:01 PM.
Old February 3rd, 2023, 01:16 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by allyolds68
The trusses are 2' on center so I can put solar panels on in the future.
Wow, that's a lot of trusses to buy and place! I went with 4' on center and ag-application trusses, but then we don't get as much snow as you do.

One of my buildings is a 20x24 garage. It has a 12:12 roof pitch to also allow for second story storage. I used rafters on that one to maximize the second story space.
Old February 3rd, 2023, 01:23 PM
Running On Empty

I thought same on number of trusses to place; good job on roof overall. I'd have increased the number of sticks used on exterior walls w/ a minimum of 18" on center.
Old February 3rd, 2023, 01:24 PM
Running On Empty

We should change the name of this thread to "Man-Caves".
Old February 3rd, 2023, 01:28 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I'd have increased the number of sticks used on exterior walls w/ a minimum of 18" on center.
Not really necessary with metal panels. My pole buildings look the same.
Old February 3rd, 2023, 01:34 PM
Running On Empty

Not really necessary with metal panels. My pole buildings look the same.
Disagree. Metal panels are not load-bearing. You have a second story wood floor joist assembly in each of your pole barns? Weight, weight, weight. Everyone has an opinion, mine doesn't agree with yours.
Old February 3rd, 2023, 01:42 PM
Old(s) Fart

Disagree. Metal panels are not load-bearing. You have a second story wood floor joist assembly in each of your pole barns? Weight, weight, weight. Everyone has an opinion, mine doesn't agree with yours.
The posts and headers are sized for that. That's the whole point of a pole building.
Old February 3rd, 2023, 01:44 PM
Running On Empty

The posts and headers are sized for that. That's the whole point of a pole building.
I understand...
Old February 3rd, 2023, 01:47 PM

We should change the name of this thread to "Man-Caves".
Here are the plans if anyone wants to build one....lol
Old February 3rd, 2023, 08:08 PM
Past Administrator

...Today's pressure treated lumber is crap...
Ain't that the truth. I have been helping a friend build a front porch/deck on a double wide he purchased to use as temporary housing until he gets his permanent homestead built. He used some 16 foot 4X6 pressure treated lumber for the uprights and within a month they have warped like crazy. The decking was screwed in as tightly together as possible and they have shrunk so much there are 1/8 inch gaps between some of them now. The lumber is so green and so new. It's terrible.
Old February 3rd, 2023, 08:08 PM
Past Administrator

By the way Norm, nice looking building.
Old February 3rd, 2023, 08:12 PM
Running On Empty

Dan - Thanks. I've purchased a fair amount of pressure-treated timber in the past & present. Much (of course) has to do w/ where you purchase the product and that should go w/o saying. But, as a "general" statement, the big-box stores, who carry $hit lumber to begin with, carry even $hittier pressure treated lumber. The bad part is we're paying out the keester for these disgusting products and no one appears to give a rat's you know what...
Old February 4th, 2023, 08:31 AM
Past Administrator

So true, we found that out. My friend bought the majority of his lumber from a big box store but needed some in a pinch and drove to the closest place which was an Ace Hardware store in a smaller town. That lumber was much cleaner and straighter as well, time will tell if it was dryer but it felt lighter anyway.
Old February 4th, 2023, 10:31 AM
Olds Fever

This is my 40X100 (4000SF) with 1000 SF on second level...

Old February 4th, 2023, 10:34 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
This is my 40X100 (4000SF) with 1000 SF on second level...
John - very nice.
Old February 6th, 2024, 05:54 PM

I purchased my building from Olympia Steel Buildings (2009). Basically same as Joe's.
Dimensions: 30'W x 40'L x 14'7"H (center; 14'0"H side walls) (145 mph wind speed)
Concrete pad (contract): $6500
Building (three windows, one entrance door) (including freight): $15,450
Insulated Overhead Garage Doors x2 (wind speed 135 mph) w/ windows (installed [contract]-non-electric): x1 @ 13'H x 10'W ($2200); x1 @ 8'H x 7'W ($1100): $3300
Electrical (I installed all electrical): $2200
General Contractor Crew (Contract) (close friend): $4,000
Equipment Rentals: $1,000
Total Cost: $32,450 (~$27/sq.ft)

Hey Norm any inside pics?

I am considering something similar.
Hope it doesn't cost 50% more now.
Might have to go with a little steeper pitch based on the snow load here.

Old February 6th, 2024, 06:24 PM

Great ideas..If only I could find property that would let me simply construct a shop..Sarasota county isn’t friendly to that. They want a home plus a shop constructed in ag zoned only
Old February 6th, 2024, 09:16 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by tkcutlass
Hey Norm any inside pics?
I attached the new bldg (where you see the opening) to the pre-existing garage .

Old February 7th, 2024, 05:11 AM
Past Administrator

I like it! I bet that stove makes it cozy in that corner when days are nippy. Does it warm the whole shop? Very nice.
Old February 7th, 2024, 07:12 AM
Running On Empty

Dan - Thanks. I got about 6 years life from the stove. During that time I changed the chimney ducts twice. When running solidly & stoked well it did a fair job of heating - enough to take chill out of the air when outdoor temps were ~32°F. I didn't install insulation because I live in a high humidity area - mold is easily trapped behind insulation. I didn't want the expense of fabricating (with insulation) for climate-control (e.g. A/C, HVAC, etc.) to maintain humidity, temp., etc. - too costly. The stove is gone. If I really need heat, I have a portable propane torpedo heater. Thought many times of installing a proper ceiling or wall mounted unit but the expense far outweighs the benefit for me at least.
Old February 13th, 2024, 09:38 PM

Here's what I am thinking
30x50 with a 12' lean-to
Not sure if I should go 12' or 14' Height

Quick Reply: Prefab metal garage