General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Power Steering Squeal

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2017, 02:03 PM

Power Steering Squeal

New power steering pump, new PS hoses, new steering gear, new PS fluid, new PS belt. Fully bled the new steering gear with front wheels off the ground. However, turning the steering wheel with front wheels on the ground, there is a squeal noise. With the engine running, the steering has power assist, but tightens a bit with the squeal. More bleeding needed? Faulty PS pump? Thoughts?
Old July 28th, 2017, 02:29 PM

Make sure your belt is not slipping
Old July 28th, 2017, 02:29 PM
Old School Olds

Make sure the belt is tight enough.
Old July 28th, 2017, 02:43 PM

X3...the original PS belt was 1/2" wide. Current replacement belts vary, some are 7/16", some 15/32", they may even give you a 3/8" (not likely, but possible) belt. The belt has to be tight, it will stretch, you will maybe need to tighten it again later.
Old July 28th, 2017, 02:51 PM
Administrator

x4 - tighten the belt.
Old July 28th, 2017, 03:15 PM
Old(s) Fart

Car? Engine? Accessory bracket configuration? Are the PS pump brackets installed properly with the correct spacers in the right places to ensure pulley alignment?

There are THREE fasteners that you need to loosen to adjust the belt, the two bolts on the front and the one nut at the bottom rear of the pump. Once you loosen all three, use a large screwdriver as a pry bar and insert it between the nose of the pump and the tab on the bracket, between the pulley and the bracket. The photo shows the proper position of the screwdriver with the pulley removed for clarity. Use the screwdriver to tension the belt while tightening the two bolts on the front, then get the nut on the back. Failure to do this properly is why there are frequent posts about belts squealing.

Old July 28th, 2017, 04:04 PM

The one nut at the bottom rear of the pump is often is key and often overlooked.
Old July 28th, 2017, 08:01 PM

Thank you all replies.

It's a 350 no A/C, Joe. Yes, the brackets and pump are installed correctly with all of the correct spacers/washers. The pump pulley is perfectly aligned.

I'll re-tighten the PS pump belt. I was not aware that some replacement belts may be narrower than OE. The 32-year old belt was in decent condition, but given its age, I thought it was best to replace it.
Old July 29th, 2017, 08:39 PM

Follow-up question: The new PS belt is the type that has the cogs / teeth. Should I re-install the old belt which didn't squeal? My concern with tightening the belt is that a tighter belt puts extra stress on the pump bearings and leads to premature failure. Thoughts?

Thanks again.
Old July 30th, 2017, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by Toms cutlass
Follow-up question: The new PS belt is the type that has the cogs / teeth. Should I re-install the old belt which didn't squeal? My concern with tightening the belt is that a tighter belt puts extra stress on the pump bearings and leads to premature failure. Thoughts?

Thanks again.
Yes, a tighter belt puts more load on the bearing, but when all is correct, the pump should work correctly without squealing and without causing premature bearing failure. First be sure you have the correct belt, as has been suggested. In addition to length and width, the belt should be made at an angle to match the groove it runs in. If a belt gets "glazed" some people use "belt dressing" to increase the coefficient of friction between the belt and the pulley. I usually don't use it, as it can be a bit messy if used directly from the aerosol can. If you have a question about proper belt tightness for the power steering pump, the 1970 Olds service manual recommends using tool BT-7002-3. Usually I've been able to get my belts tensioned correctly without using it, but that's the "prescribed" approach. My opinion is the segmented belts will work properly when all else is correct, and is preferable on smaller diameter pulleys. But if the non-segmented belt works better for your application, that's the way to go. The belt should be available in both versions.
Old July 30th, 2017, 04:13 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Toms cutlass

Thanks again.
And a loose belt leads to squealing, your choice. The cogs have nothing to do with it.
Old August 29th, 2018, 07:41 PM
Chris

I was looking for the proper way to tighten the power steering belt on my 72 30 AC Supreme and came across Joe's instructions. Thanks!
Chris