General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Power Seat Mods

Old February 2nd, 2019, 12:56 PM

Power Seat Mods

I have a 70 Pontiac Grand Prix 6 way power seat base. Can it be modified to work in only four directions so it would be usable in a 70 Cutlass?
Old February 2nd, 2019, 01:18 PM

I have a four way power seat base removed from a 69 Grand Prix with buckets in my 70 Cutlass convertible. The only change was the required power seat specific floor brackets, they bolted to the seats with no mods needed. If the six way base is off a bucket seat car it should work with right floor brackets.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 03:25 PM
Old(s) Fart

Why would you not want to just use it as a six way seat? The only difference in the seat base is that in the four way, the four vertical adjustment jackscrews all operate at the same time. On the six way, the front and rear jackscrews can be operated independently so you can raise or lower just the front or just the back to get tilt also.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 03:43 PM

never seen a 6 way in a 70 GP before ... alll 4 ways ...... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

does the mounting brackets and power seat feet look original ??

usually 6 ways were in the big big cars ... from the ones I have seen here in Washington state

Scott
Old February 2nd, 2019, 03:58 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 72455442RA
never seen a 6 way in a 70 GP before ... alll 4 ways ...... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
You are correct, in fact not even a true 4-way. RPO A46 for driver side bucket was power fore/aft and power up/down at the rear only for tilt.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
You are correct, in fact not even a true 4-way. RPO A46 for driver side bucket was power fore/aft and power up/down at the rear only for tilt.
That is how mine operates. Is that not how a Cutlass power seat works? Does the Cutlass seat raise and lower the front and back?
Old February 3rd, 2019, 06:54 AM

Ok. I was told it was a 70 GP seat but have no way of knowing. Let me shoot some pics of it today if I can. U will post them and maybe someone can tell me what I actually have. Joe, to answer your question, if I was doing a daily driver type car I would absolutely do as you suggest. I'm not though and just as sure as h-ll someone's going to give me grief with a si
Old February 3rd, 2019, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Side question, where does the power bucket sit relative to the manual bucket in terms of fore/aft, front fixed position, and up/down in the back. I got a possible headroom issue.
Old February 3rd, 2019, 11:55 AM

Koda,

My blue car had a power drivers seat. I'm 6'1" and didn't have any issues. It does seem to sit a little bit higher but it worked ok. Maybe being in a convertible wit more headroom?
Old February 3rd, 2019, 12:01 PM

I took some pics of the power seat base. Maybe that will help.

And here is the seat it came out of. Hopefully somebody can tell me what this seat is actually out of?

Old February 3rd, 2019, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by rand5204
Koda,

My blue car had a power drivers seat. I'm 6'1" and didn't have any issues. It does seem to sit a little bit higher but it worked ok. Maybe being in a convertible wit more headroom?
I drove one last week and had to look ABOVE the rear view mirror. Might have been power seat, might have been a lower mirror mount on a ragtop.
Old February 6th, 2019, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
I drove one last week and had to look ABOVE the rear view mirror. Might have been power seat, might have been a lower mirror mount on a ragtop.
Koda, I don't intend to hijack the thread but wanted to answer a question you'd asked. I took a power bucket seat track and a power bench seat track. Move them to the all the way back position and all the way down position then measured the distance from the floorboard to the place where the rail mounts to the seat. The power bucket seat looks like 1 7/8" and the power bench is 2 3/4". But that is adding the thickness of the bracket, without the bracket its 2 1/4". This is the rear bolt hole for the seat rail and I didn't have a bracket for the power bucket seat rail. I don't have a manual bench seat rail that I'm sure is the same year to compare these to. If you want to see photos send me a PM with your email address. John

Old February 6th, 2019, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by rand5204
I took some pics of the power seat base. Maybe that will help.

And here is the seat it came out of. Hopefully somebody can tell me what this seat is actually out of?

I can't say for sure what your seat came out of. But I do have a 6 way power bucket seat track that looks just like yours. I think mine came off a Buick Riviera seat. A lot of Riviera's came with bucket seats and consoles. The bucket seat is the same as the A-body seat, the only difference is the seat rails where it bolts to the floorboard.
Old February 6th, 2019, 02:40 PM

I just looked more closely at your power seat setup. The cables connect with a pink quarter turn clip, mine don't. I did pull power seats from a 1978 Delta 88 years ago and they had the same style connectors. So your seat may have come out of something from the mid to late 70's.
Old February 7th, 2019, 04:37 AM

Thanks for the replies. It always amazes me the details that the guys on this site can pick up on out of pictures. I guess at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter what the seat came out of as long as I can redo it in the 70 442 style and have it fit my car. I was concerned that the big car seats would be wider than then the A body seats. It doesn't sound like that will be the case.
Old February 7th, 2019, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Koda, I don't intend to hijack the thread but wanted to answer a question you'd asked. I took a power bucket seat track and a power bench seat track. Move them to the all the way back position and all the way down position then measured the distance from the floorboard to the place where the rail mounts to the seat. The power bucket seat looks like 1 7/8" and the power bench is 2 3/4". But that is adding the thickness of the bracket, without the bracket its 2 1/4". This is the rear bolt hole for the seat rail and I didn't have a bracket for the power bucket seat rail. I don't have a manual bench seat rail that I'm sure is the same year to compare these to. If you want to see photos send me a PM with your email address. John
Thanks. I'll send a PM. I have some 72 manual bench tracks in a bucket.