General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Pollution police?

Search this Thread

Old January 16th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Pollution police?

So every time I take my classic out for a tour, will I be pulled off the road, my car taken and I will have to sell everything I own to pay the fines?

How does all this affect us with older cars?
Old January 16th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by sammy
So every time I take my classic out for a tour, will I be pulled off the road, my car taken and I will have to sell everything I own to pay the fines?

Ok it works like this. I'm a police officer and I pull you over. I make you get in the back seat of my cruiser. You get to watch me do burnouts with your car as I check it for roadworthiness. After the smoke has cleared I come back and let you out. My only comments? Nice car sir, have a nice day!

Older cars are generally exempt from the pollution laws because they met pollution requirements of the era they were built. On the other hand if you're driving down the highway with the tailpipe smoking worse than a ham sausage cooker? Expect to be pulled over and either get a fixit order, or a traffic summons for faulty equipment. That would apply to newer cars too BTW.
Old January 16th, 2012, 09:27 PM

Whew!
Old January 16th, 2012, 09:35 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Is this a serious question?

- Eric
Old January 16th, 2012, 09:39 PM
1974 DELTA 88

This has never crossed my mind. Then again, where I live, we don't even have emissions testing.

I'd hope such a thing (pollution police) doesn't exist anyplace. Unless like Allan said, you are driving around with oil smoke or massive black soot clouds billowing out the exhaust.
Old January 16th, 2012, 10:42 PM

Coming soon to California!! Don't be surprised if the great state of Communism and social justice decide that the pollution from pre 1976 vehicles is damaging to a microscopic organism. Case in point I work on a military base and have been in the Army 14 years I never heard of or seen a fairy shrimp but during a rainy day an Infantry battalion was pulled out of a training site because of a microscopic organism unseen to the naked eye that has a life cycle of a few days that provides no benefit to the ecosystem of the central California coast. After the rain dried training resumed but soldiers could not walk on the damp ground for fear of crushing the fairy shrimp and leading the charge was a member of the good ol EPA yelling at soldiers like they were second class citizens. God bless America and the job they do protecting these species I hear their will be an organized effort to plant Unicorn horns in order to grow more rainbows.
Old January 17th, 2012, 03:39 AM

Remember, Earth Day is coming. Each year I drive all three of my V8 powered vehicles. It is one way I can get back at the left wing communist pukes.
Old January 17th, 2012, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Is this a serious question?

- Eric
may want to take it serious. there are left wing EPA crazies out there wanting to put BIG taxes on "old pollution causing cars". they want to tax the heck out of old cars so we can't afford to drive them. it isn't the law now but if we continue to let the EPA have free will on us it will happen.

Last edited by jensenracing77; January 17th, 2012 at 05:46 AM.
Old January 17th, 2012, 05:49 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

It's called the ministry of the environment in my province, and yes it is serious. There are car clubs that avoid touring in my area because of these guys, who are increasingly concentrating on car shows , where they camp out at the exit s and start checking, at random, any car exiting the show

It's up to you to prove your car has all original equipment.

Scary stuff!
Old January 17th, 2012, 05:52 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

And that's the difference between being a citizen and being a subject...

- Eric
Old January 17th, 2012, 05:55 AM
Cutlass Lover

It wouldn't surprise me if they started something like that. We do have pollution check stations in most of our counties here in Ohio - not fair because it's not in all the counties, but our older cars are exempt. I HATE E-check!!!!
Old January 17th, 2012, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
It wouldn't surprise me if they started something like that. We do have pollution check stations in most of our counties here in Ohio - not fair because it's not in all the counties, but our older cars are exempt. I HATE E-check!!!!
Recently they passed a law in quebec, saying any cars older than 8 years old need to be emmisions tested. Then all the old guys freaked out, so they put in a clause to exempt cars older than 25 years.

I always keep a copy of of the CSM in my trunk in case some douche pulls me over.
Old January 17th, 2012, 06:48 AM

Here in Dallas long ago, the EPA used to randomly set up emission trailers along the entrance ramps to one of the major freeways. Great, place, eh? They would capter lic places and the emissions as cars would accellerate up to speed. I think constant speed would be more accurate.
I would not accellerate until I was well past the trailer.

On the road, as long as the car is running well and not smoking, you will be fine.

If you are unfortunate to live in a state where you have to get tested, thats another story.
I would opt to pay for an 'unofficial test'. Tell them you are tuning the car and just want it checked. That way if it fails, your title and all will be safe. In TX if you fail, they attach some kind of documents to your record and somehow it affects the title or something if not fixed and retested in 30 days or whatever. It is bad.
Old January 17th, 2012, 07:02 AM

Tell me about it... i was so ticked off. I'm getting so close to actually getting my car to be drivable and they try to throw me on an emissions tester..
Old January 17th, 2012, 07:46 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Get involved, be an informed voter and vote often. At least we can still do this in the USA, for now. I strongly campaign for collector car and other amendment rights which big brother is trying to take away. I look down on those who bitch but don’t vote. We have to all learn to get off our complacent butts and speak up when big brother wants in verse doing the “sit-wait & see if someone else will act for me” routine. Otherwise the few elite who have empowered themselves to (over) run our country via their “atta” boy club will do so at their own discretion and we know where that will end up! What will be next on the “block”…. drag racing, or “what if it runs” tax on a trailer queen! Don’t laugh…..
Old January 17th, 2012, 07:48 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Let's not get leftie commies muddled with EPA.

I'm all for keeping it clean, I'm all against command economy big brother.

We all have to live on this planet, and we all have to make compromises for orderly society to function. Try just doing as you please with no regard for anyone else and see how long you stay out of jail.

If you don't like how things are run use your vote and bother your elected representatives, venting on this forum might help you feel better but it won't get anything done. If you have enough popular support for your agenda things will change, don't expect overnight results though.

Roger.
Old January 17th, 2012, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Here in Dallas long ago, the EPA used to randomly set up emission trailers along the entrance ramps to one of the major freeways. Great, place, eh? They would capter lic places and the emissions as cars would accellerate up to speed. I think constant speed would be more accurate.
I would not accellerate until I was well past the trailer.

On the road, as long as the car is running well and not smoking, you will be fine.

If you are unfortunate to have to get tested, thats another story.
I would opt to pay for an 'unofficial test'. Tell them you are tuning the car and just want it checked. That way if it fails, your title and all will be safe. In TX if you fail, they attach some kind of documents to your record and somehow it affects the title or something if not fixed and retested in 30 days or whatever. It is bad.
I believe the above does not apply to antique cars! The requirements, are no visible smoke, and the polution contols that came with the car need to be functional. If at some point in time the car has been tested and failed 3 times, and the expense to refurbish the system exceeds a certain cost, there is an exemption that can be obtained. If the car came with a catalytic converter, it must be there!

Again on the above mentioned issue, the main requirement is no visible smoke and a safety check!
Old January 17th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Registered Abuser

It's called the ministry of the environment in my province, and yes it is serious. There are car clubs that avoid touring in my area because of these guys, who are increasingly concentrating on car shows , where they camp out at the exit s and start checking, at random, any car exiting the show

Scary stuff!

That's nuts. We don't even have emmisions testing in my county (Huron).

I think you have an over zealous smog cop in your area.
Old January 17th, 2012, 09:22 AM

Pollution Police? What a joke. I might take my car (if it ever gets done) out a few times a week and on weekends... and they are worried about that?? How about the plethora of factories near by that spew out copious amounts of 'smoke' 24/7/365?. Rrrright.
Old January 17th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Runner

Luckily in Kansas, all they do is look at your VIN and make sure its not a stolen car. Since you made it to the car inspection building, thats good enough for them to say its drivable
Old January 17th, 2012, 10:22 AM

In california any car made in 1975 and befor is not smogged. Very few cars made from 1976 to 1988 or so are on the road here and are a very hard sell localy because of the smog laws.
Old January 17th, 2012, 10:29 AM

A guy working at the local 'inspection station' recently told me if you go with that 'E-85' garbage, you'll pass just about anything, as their 'sniffers' only show the gasoline carbons!
Did it once on a borderline car, and it went right through!
Only for test purposes - went back to premium on the way back, though.
Old January 17th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Lansing built

pollution

It is one of the rare times I am proud to be a Michigander! No inspection)s or smog testing here just pay for your tags and that is that, funny they don't even ask for a copy of insurance anymore! i assume that they know already know that you are insured before sending your renewal.

It's not o.k. to just pollute at will but how many miles a year do you really put on your classic? This should be our next poll or new thread!
I am around 600-800 miles a year on the Cutlass and 200-400 miles on the Alero (not much of a polluter)

B.T.W. classic plates in Michigan are $35.00 for ten years
Old January 17th, 2012, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I believe the above does not apply to antique cars!
Right, in TX there is no testing for cars over 25 years, but other states require it. I clarified my post...
Old January 17th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Red Delta
That's nuts. We don't even have emmisions testing in my county (Huron).I think you have an over zealous smog cop in your area.
Same here in Alberta. We don't even have annual vehicle inspections. The only time you need an inspection here is
1. OOP (out of province) registration
2. Car purchased is more than 12 years old
3. Insurance company wants proof of cars integrity.

Originally Posted by oldzy
Pollution Police? What a joke. I might take my car (if it ever gets done) out a few times a week and on weekends... and they are worried about that?? How about the plethora of factories near by that spew out copious amounts of 'smoke' 24/7/365?. Rrrright.
Agreed. FWIW my 72 is properly tuned burning 94 octane, all it's OEM emission controls work and I'd bet that on the road it puts out less emissions than a lot of newer cars. It's not the collector cars that are the offenders, it's the people who buy cars and never do a lick of maintenance to them - its part & parcel the manufacturers fault for lulling the newer gen into thinking the car is almost maintenance free. 'Trust your cars ECM?" Lame excuse for no mtce.
Old January 17th, 2012, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Same here in Alberta. We don't even have annual vehicle inspections. The only time you need an inspection here is
1. OOP (out of province) registration
2. Car purchased is more than 12 years old
3. Insurance company wants proof of cars integrity.

Agreed. FWIW my 72 is properly tuned burning 94 octane, all it's OEM emission controls work and I'd bet that on the road it puts out less emissions than a lot of newer cars. It's not the collector cars that are the offenders, it's the people who buy cars and never do a lick of maintenance to them - its part & parcel the manufacturers fault for lulling the newer gen into thinking the car is almost maintenance free. 'Trust your cars ECM?" Lame excuse for no mtce.
Agreed 100%

My 1995 sentra has been emmisions tested more than once and it runs like a dream. I've been the only owner since new so i like to think i maintain it properly.

Hopefully once this olds is on the road it'll be my daily driver whenever there's no snow on the road.
Old January 17th, 2012, 12:49 PM

Scary stuff!
I hear ya Sammy. I live in Ontario too. Here is how it works. If you have for example a 1978 Camaro (friend of mine) and it's modified and it does not have the original pollution stuff on it they can give you a ticket and make you put the original smog equipment back on it. A friend of mine had this car and he pulled out the 305 and put in a 350 with headers and all the go fast stuff. According to the government he removed the pollution equipment that came on the car. In order to put it back on the road he had to install a smog pump and catalytic converters.

My car is a 72' and I think the only emmission stuff it had was a charoal canister, which is gone but no one has ever asked about it...
Old January 17th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by cutlassjoe
My car is a 72' and I think the only emmission stuff it had was a charoal canister, which is gone but no one has ever asked about it...
Right on the money. Most people just blocked off the lines from the tank and to the carb, took out the holder and chucked the cannister. Anyone checking your car would have to know exactly what to look for in order to say it's missing. I still have mine and refurbed both the cannister exterior and the holder last summer. They look like new now and will go back into the car. Don't know how effective it is though. I put it in because I wanted it to be original. How wierd is that?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1827.jpg (55.7 KB, 19 views)
Old January 17th, 2012, 01:11 PM

Not weird at all. That is my plan as well.
Old January 17th, 2012, 01:17 PM
1970 442

Yes, it's important that police go after a handful of 30-year old cars, that are rarely driven, verses going after semi-trucks, buses, school buses, and the millions of other trucks, trains, and factories that pollute the air.

Oh yeah, we're supposed to believe that crap that "diesel fumes aren't as harmful" as regular automobile fumes.

The reality is that trucks are a necessity, they run the economy, while 30-year old cars do not. Just follow the money, and you'll know why trucks, trains, and other vehicles do not have pollution regulations. The states are too scared, and the truckers unions too powerful, to do anything.

So the government gives you a warm fuzzy by pulling over a 30-year old car, and soccer moms feel better knowing our government is saving baby polar bears.

Old January 17th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Cool pic. Seen that lots and not just from big trucks. Look at some of the Ford, GM and Dodge 1 ton diesels on the road. They purgolate like crazy at times.

FWIW? I've only been pulled over by the police once in my 72.

They were doing seat belt enforcement. Strangely enough the officer didn't seem to be aware that older cars may or may not have a shoulder restraint. He just assumed I wasnt' wearing a seatbelt because he couldn't see the shoulder attachment. (I don't like wearing the Shoulder belt because it's a fixed point restraint, not like the inertial locks on the new cars).

He just walked up and asked for my DL and registration. So I gave it to him. Thought maybe I'd been going too fast. You know how easy that is... Anyway he came back about 5 minutes later with a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt. As he handed everything to me and told me what he was citing me for, I asked "Oh, you mean this?" and pointed to the seatbelt done up across my waist? He was pissed! Then he asked how old the car was. I told him and his jaw hit the ground. He thought is was a 'newer sports model' because it looks so damn nice and has a gorgeous paint job. But he took the ticket back. Feel sorry for the next guy who got stopped by him. Given enough rope, anyone can hang themself.
Old January 17th, 2012, 04:13 PM

to late. they already started going after the trucking industry several years ago. there are other things coming that i can't discuss right now. there are some EPA regulations coming to the trucking industry that will increase food prices dramatically. i can't talk about them now because of where i work and proprietary information but the changes that are having to be made are sickening.
Old January 17th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
to late. they already started going after the trucking industry several years ago. there are other things coming that i can't discuss right now. there are some EPA regulations coming to the trucking industry that will increase food prices dramatically. i can't talk about them now because of where i work and proprietary information but the changes that are having to be made are sickening.
Well we all know about low sulphur diesel so that's not it. So it's got to be something with either bio diesel, or engine design that will force manufacturers to comply with re-tooling or forcing owners to modify their exhaust systems to meet emissions standards that will probably be checked at weigh scales????

Eric, You know you wanna tell us..... Honest, I don't drive a big rig so I won't tell!!!
Old January 17th, 2012, 04:36 PM

It has little to do with the environment, it's all about control. They don't care about costs. If those pukes had their way everyone would walk to work or ride a bike. If they can drive up the cost of energy through regulations of fuel and emissions they will and they are. The same scumbags want to do away with hydro electric. Stuff an exhaust pipe down their throats and floor it.

Last edited by Destructor; January 18th, 2012 at 03:59 AM.
Old January 17th, 2012, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by destructor
it has little to do with the environment, it's all about control.

Stuff an exhaust pipe down their throats and floor it.

bingo!
Old January 18th, 2012, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Destructor
It has little to do with the environment, it's all about control. They don't care about costs. If those pukes had their way everyone would walk to work or ride a bike. If they can drive up the cost of energy through regulations of fuel and emissions they will and they are. The same scumbags want to do away with hydro electric. Stuff an exhaust pipe down their throats and floor it.
Hey....don't sugarcoat it, tell us how you really feel. lol
Old January 18th, 2012, 10:00 AM

Reminds me of the song "ITS A MARSHMELLOW WORLD THAT WE LIVE IN!"
Old January 18th, 2012, 10:59 AM

This is the same agency that wants to regulate dust particles. Now that's crazy. Also The air pollution levels have been going down for decades but so have the required levels so cities are being fined for too high levels.
Old January 19th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Lansing built

tier 4

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
I am sure that you talking DEF and EGR! for those of you not up to speed, DEF stands Diesel Exhast Fluid a seperate tank that mixes with the exhaust to give it less emissions (urea) EGR is a term that most of you have heard of! basically a scruber for the exhaust. Also Kubota has PTF system that they run Particulate matter runs through a catylitic burner.
Old January 19th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Oldsdruid

If you were a guvmink wonk, wouldn't you come up with silly ineffective shyt to justify your continued employment? The word "onerous" comes to mind...

Until that agency is dismantled, crap like that will keep coming. They do not care if they break the average working family as long as they have a job and a way to fine "non-conforming entities"- a way to get into what you worked for.

Believe me, in the the power binness we see it all the time, but the general public doesn't see who the real culprit behind their increased electric rates is. It is the Newnited States Guvmink and specifically its environazi agency.

When the revolution starts, they will have the nerve to be surprised. There is a reason guvmink entities want a disarmed populace.

Last edited by rocketraider; January 19th, 2012 at 12:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Pollution police?