General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

A Plink you don't want to hear!

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2019, 11:10 AM
Oldscarnut

A Plink you don't want to hear!

So as I was doing the once over on my almost finished 350. I heard a plink and then the oil pump shaft decided to exit the distributor hole (Upside down of course). Up until that moment I had been so careful to keep it where it belongs but forgot all about it as I rotated my engine on the stand, to behold the fine work I had done. The question is this, do I need to remove my oil pan again to reinstall the shaft or can I put it in from another angle, sideways or from the top? Yes I know that there is no room for extra pieces left behind, like sockets and tape. I would like to keep the engine upright and thread it carefully into the hole, then get the freakin drill out CCW and prime it once the oil goes in! Can I?
Old July 16th, 2019, 11:15 AM

As long as the shaft will turn the oil pump, that’s all that matters. There is no right or wrong way for it to go in.

From the factory Tory there was a small star washer on the shaft, between the main cap and oil pump. It’s purpose is to prevent exactly the issue your facing. I’m guessing it was more of a assembly line concern than service in the field. When you have thousands of engines on the assembly line in various stages of assembly that little star washer would prevent lots of repair work on the line.
Old July 16th, 2019, 11:19 AM
Oldscarnut

I thought the washer was to prevent it from going too deeply into the pump, so it was not installed correctly if it fell out? I mean a few bolts to remove the pan and a few more on the oil pump is worth it if I get it on correctly. So if the washer is on the outside of the pump...makers no difference, yes?
Old July 16th, 2019, 11:53 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Chuck Cole
I thought the washer was to prevent it from going too deeply into the pump, so it was not installed correctly if it fell out? I mean a few bolts to remove the pan and a few more on the oil pump is worth it if I get it on correctly. So if the washer is on the outside of the pump...makers no difference, yes?
All the washer does is prevent the shaft from falling out the top of the block when the engine is upside down on an engine stand and the distributor is not installed.
Old July 16th, 2019, 12:25 PM
Oldscarnut

So I am gleaning that if the shaft falls out and it has the washer, it was not installed correctly and needs to be? Or does it not matter as long as the shaft is seated in the pump? Sorry to be so dense, but I have never had this happen in several builds, so I am guessing I did it right, all but this one .
Old July 16th, 2019, 12:42 PM
Old(s) Fart

So I am gleaning that if the shaft falls out and it has the washer, it was not installed correctly and needs to be? Or does it not matter as long as the shaft is seated in the pump? Sorry to be so dense, but I have never had this happen in several builds, so I am guessing I did it right, all but this one .
All that matters is that the shaft is seated in the pump. Once the distributor is in place, the shaft is captured and can't go anywhere. The washer serves no purpose at that point.
Old July 16th, 2019, 02:42 PM
Oldscarnut

Thanks Joe! Then put it back in and keep it the HELL right side up until it is in the car! I plan to put the intake, carb, and Distributor in last., in the car..I can do this! I wish I had an engine hoist about 4 days a year!

Last edited by Chuck Cole; July 16th, 2019 at 02:42 PM. Reason: forgot
Old July 17th, 2019, 06:12 AM

Thanks Joe! Then put it back in and keep it the HELL right side up until it is in the car! I plan to put the intake, carb, and Distributor in last., in the car..I can do this! I wish I had an engine hoist about 4 days a year!
Let's hope it doesn't go upside down while in the car either! If you lived closer I'd lend you my hoist, there's no rental places you can get one?
Old July 17th, 2019, 08:21 AM
Oldscarnut

I live over 20 miles from a rental place, so a big portion of the day is getting it and bringing it back. It is $40 for 4 hours and $80 for the day, so I try very hard to get my work done and have it back there in 4 hours after cleaning it up and disassembly....PLUS, the vehicle that would usually easily carry it is the El Camino I am pulling the engine from. It really doesn't fit well in a Sonic
Old July 17th, 2019, 08:58 AM
Administrator

You can buy one for under $200 at Harbor Freight and I've seen used going for $100 or less around here.
Old July 17th, 2019, 10:22 AM
Oldscarnut

Yep Tom, but I can't see it for the 6 times in my life I have needed one...always in the way, and like a pickup, everyone wants to borrow it! With as many $350 items on the engine build, it simply is not in the budget. I am still buying power steering pumps and hoses, trans lines, brackets, pulleys, hoses and belts, and flowers for the wifey for watching my budget destroyed by machining without much noise. It is getting close to being done now. I have to get the Buick out and clean up, relocate and re-route some things, plug up the A/C hole in the firewall, degrease and paint, and then after that, put in the 350. If I could have I would have in one shot, but G Body's are tight space and better to do major work with the engine bay empty. Even with my low math skills, two trips and two rentals is still cheaper than Harbor Freight. Cutting corners always seems to limit my builds.