General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Painting raised letters on valve covers

Search this Thread

Old November 15th, 2015, 02:20 PM

Painting raised letters on valve covers

Do any of you folks here have a good method for painting raised lettering on a set of valve covers? I have a buddy with a set of 55 Mercury valve covers that he would like to highlight the raised lettering on, but neither of us knows a good method of doing it. I am hoping there is someone here that has done this with good results. Any and all help appreciated!

Picture of said valve cover below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
valvecover.JPG (2.14 MB, 59 views)
Old November 15th, 2015, 03:23 PM

I can't wait to hear the answer on this one! Sorry never done one.
Old November 15th, 2015, 03:33 PM

I have an idea, but I want better people to speak first.
Old November 15th, 2015, 03:39 PM
Olds Fever

First paint the letter area of the valve covers with the color you want the letters to be.... Then using a very fine artist paint brush, apply Vaseline only to the letters, next paint the valve covers with your color choice... Make sure the paint is dry between each step... After drying simply wipe off the Vaseline.... Takes a steady hand, but it works.... I have used this process on dash lettering with good success.... If you don't want to go through all that trouble, you can try just hand painting the letters with the artist brush and your choice of color for the letters........
Old November 15th, 2015, 03:47 PM

My wife lettered my 55 covers free hand. Other than having a very steady hand the type of paint is very important. One Shot Lettering enamel works very good, flows off the brush smoothly and dries hard. If you don't have that steady hand a sign painter can do this no problem.Here is the first picture I came across, not the best but you get the idea.... Tedd
Attached Images
Old November 15th, 2015, 03:51 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

If you don't have success with curzn's suggestions, find an artist or sign painter to do them for you. Fortunately Fusick has decals available for the valve covers on my 54. Believe it or not but the factory actually used a roller on the original 54-55 valve covers. Some of them looked pretty sloppy.
Old November 15th, 2015, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Believe it or not but the factory actually used a roller
This is actually what I was thinking, but the sign painter idea is a good one. Any more ideas guys?
Old November 15th, 2015, 04:06 PM

My idea was to use a metal roller that you had rigged guides on the top and bottom sides of the valve cover to control the height off the face, then make one pass and done.
Old November 15th, 2015, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
My idea was to use a metal roller that you had rigged guides on the top and bottom sides of the valve cover to control the height off the face, then make one pass and done.
Another good one! Keep em coming guys!
Old November 15th, 2015, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Okay you gave up part of what i was thinking!LOL We in the aircraft use stamp part mark i am thinking a guy could swap paint for ink or vise verse-ah !JMO

Last edited by wr1970; November 15th, 2015 at 04:29 PM.
Old November 15th, 2015, 09:30 PM

Could always try a technique that seems to work well on license plates. Paint the lettering colour first, then the base colour. Sand the lettering to expose the lettering colour, then clearcoat.

Check out the technique here: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=87382
Old November 16th, 2015, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Sporty45
Do any of you folks here have a good method for painting raised lettering on a set of valve covers? I have a buddy with a set of 55 Mercury valve covers that he would like to highlight the raised lettering on, but neither of us knows a good method of doing it. I am hoping there is someone here that has done this with good results. Any and all help appreciated!

Picture of said valve cover below.
When I had my 74 Cutlass Supreme, I painted the Oldsmobile logo on my valve covers by using a masking tape and tape it completely over the top of the valve cover. I use a small ball peen hammer and lightly tap it on the edges of the letters until the tape cuts making an outline of the letters. When it cuts, just peel the tape off and then all you have is an exposed letters of the logo.
Old November 16th, 2015, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by VI Cutty
Could always try a technique that seems to work well on license plates. Paint the lettering colour first, then the base colour. Sand the lettering to expose the lettering colour, then clearcoat.

Check out the technique here: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=87382
This looks like a good idea too! Thanks
Old November 16th, 2015, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by ELY442
When I had my 74 Cutlass Supreme, I painted the Oldsmobile logo on my valve covers by using a masking tape and tape it completely over the top of the valve cover. I use a small ball peen hammer and lightly tap it on the edges of the letters until the tape cuts making an outline of the letters. When it cuts, just peel the tape off and then all you have is an exposed letters of the logo.
That is great if the letters are recessed, but the ones I'm talking about are raised. Thanks for the input though!
Old November 16th, 2015, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Sporty45
That is great if the letters are recessed, but the ones I'm talking about are raised. Thanks for the input though!
Yes, the valves covers that I did were "raised" letters.
Old November 16th, 2015, 01:50 PM
Beer Connoisseur

Find somebody that can free hand. After numerous tries on my Chevy valve covers I finally sent them to a guy that does pin striping. $120 and they look perfect.

Last edited by 70cutty; November 17th, 2015 at 11:16 AM.
Old November 17th, 2015, 07:12 AM
Mr. Johnson

I did masking tape stencil cut with a razor then spray painted for my air cleaner. It was a pain but came out nice.
Old November 17th, 2015, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by rjohnson442
I did masking tape stencil cut with a razor then spray painted for my air cleaner. It was a pain but came out nice.
That did come out nice!
Old November 17th, 2015, 06:13 PM
I'm indecisive. Or am I..

Excellent topic by the way. I am on the cusp of doing this very operation. I started by doing a rubbing of the lettering on a piece of paper. My plan is to have a graphics shop scan the page, digitize it and have my lettering cut in a heat resistant vinyl, colour of my choosing.