General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

It only took 10 years..

Search this Thread

Old August 14th, 2017, 07:43 AM

It only took 10 years..

Hi All,

As many of you know i've been building this cutlass for the better part of a decade now (and thanks to lots of help from this forum) i got her out to her first car show in Digby, NS this weekend.

Unfortunately the only thing that attracted beautiful ladies to my car is when my dog was sitting in the front seat..

Lessons learned. Buy a dog.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_5575[1].JPG (3.12 MB, 280 views)
IMG_5580[1].JPG (1.82 MB, 181 views)
IMG_5567[1].JPG (1.26 MB, 277 views)
Old August 14th, 2017, 08:46 AM
delete

Who knows what women want these days?
You got a nice ride. Build it for you to enjoy. The rest will fall into place
Old August 14th, 2017, 09:04 AM

Very nice. Mine is fast approaching the ten year mark and still not completed, close, but not yet.
Old August 14th, 2017, 09:04 AM
Olds Fever

Nice looking ride... As well as the front seat attraction... You have to remember, "Babies, Puppies, THEN maybe cars" from most female's perspective...
Old August 14th, 2017, 10:10 AM

Your car looks great! '72 is my favorite year because my Dad has one. I have a '70 Cutlass that I drive around a lot. I'm a very happily married man, but women approach me all the time to talk about the car. If I had $1 for every time I had the following conversation I could probably buy another car:

Them: Nice car. What year is it?
Me: 1970
Them: My brother had a 442 that was <insert color here>. He used to scare the c*** out of us with that car! It was nice to see your car, it brings back memories, but I'd never get in another one again.

I think the dog is going to be the better route.
Old August 14th, 2017, 06:46 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Tony, the car looks great!
I remember you told me about the girls not liking the car. You made the right choice.
Now the only thing you need to do to complete the 442 look is ditch the rocker stainless. That was a delete on the W29 option.
You can be really proud of what you've accomplished.
Old August 14th, 2017, 07:38 PM

Thumbs up

Your dog is almost the same color as your car! Bonus points
Old August 15th, 2017, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Tony, the car looks great!
I remember you told me about the girls not liking the car. You made the right choice.
Now the only thing you need to do to complete the 442 look is ditch the rocker stainless. That was a delete on the W29 option.
You can be really proud of what you've accomplished.
The previous owner made a huge dent on the rocker panel that he covered up with stainless.... I think the rocker panels were galvanized steel right? I might have to cut and weld in a new piece to have everything match up really well. Actually funny thing the hood i have on the car right now is actually a real W-29 hood i got from a guy near ottawa. I just sanded over the stripes and painted it bamboo.

I'm feeling really confident about how to do bodywork and paint a car now. I realized that if you just load the car with clearcoat then you can wetsand and buff it out to a mirror finish! Only problem is now i need a bigger garage!!
Old August 15th, 2017, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by brddg
Your dog is almost the same color as your car! Bonus points
And he's pretty fierce! Actually he really enjoys the bench seat and non-air bags in the car so he can ride up front and bark at stuff.

Originally Posted by Happy Trails
Your car looks great! '72 is my favorite year because my Dad has one. I have a '70 Cutlass that I drive around a lot. I'm a very happily married man, but women approach me all the time to talk about the car. If I had $1 for every time I had the following conversation I could probably buy another car:

Them: My brother had a 442 that was <insert color here>. He used to scare the c*** out of us with that car! It was nice to see your car, it brings back memories, but I'd never get in another one again.

I think the dog is going to be the better route.
I actually keep a guestbook in the glovebox of my car that i've had every woman sign that's had a ride in my car since i bought it in 2007! there are some pretty cool comments and pictures in there, but most of them say "AhHHHHHHHhhhHHHH, never getting in that again!"

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
Nice looking ride... As well as the front seat attraction... You have to remember, "Babies, Puppies, THEN maybe cars" from most female's perspective...
Thanks man, i feel like my car is about an 80% finished car, but it was great to see some people that had absolutely mint cars from the 60's and 70's that didnt win any door prizes or awards either. Made me feel not that bad! I got alot of people looking into the car and liking the fact that it was all original rather than modified like most cars were.

Originally Posted by anthonyP
Very nice. Mine is fast approaching the ten year mark and still not completed, close, but not yet.
I say get it plated and just drive it! That was the best motivator i could ever have!

Originally Posted by droptopron
Who knows what women want these days?
You got a nice ride. Build it for you to enjoy. The rest will fall into place
Man i'd love to have a pair of cutlasses, my next would absolutely be a 72 Vert if i can find one up here. Or maybe keep my eye out for someone selling one on here in the next 3-5 years ish.
Old August 15th, 2017, 06:32 AM
71 cutlass convertible

Car Looks great. However I want to know how you got it done so quickly. It has been 9 years for me and probably another 9 years before it is done. It can be driven though. As for dogs attracting girls. I have a 1 year old Chocolate Lab that only has 3 legs, everybody comes over to see her.
Old August 15th, 2017, 06:41 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Tony, the rocker trim is stainless steel, not galvanized. So it wasn't original to the car? That's interesting. I guess it depends on how damaged the rocker is as to whether it can be repaired or needs replacing.
Old August 15th, 2017, 06:57 AM

72 Cutlass

Hi Tony;
Long time, no hear, lols!
Great to see you have the car looking so good.
It must be satisfying to see all your hard work cumulating into a great looking car.
We must "hookup" - I am going to the Cornwall show this Sunday - not far from Montreal.
I have a "gift" for you - pair of sport mirrors(need glass, but they are available).
Regards
Dick, Dee & Mia
Old August 15th, 2017, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Tony, the rocker trim is stainless steel, not galvanized. So it wasn't original to the car? That's interesting. I guess it depends on how damaged the rocker is as to whether it can be repaired or needs replacing.
i meant it was damaged under the stainless! when i removed the stainless to paint the car theres about a 1/4" dip in the metal, looks like he hit a curb at some point.

also to make it a 'real' w-29, wouldn't i have to add boxed rear control arms and sway bar? and of course MAW add a shiny w-27 cover!
Old August 15th, 2017, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Rocket North
Hi Tony;
Long time, no hear, lols!
Great to see you have the car looking so good.
It must be satisfying to see all your hard work cumulating into a great looking car.
We must "hookup" - I am going to the Cornwall show this Sunday - not far from Montreal.
I have a "gift" for you - pair of sport mirrors(need glass, but they are available).
Regards
Dick, Dee & Mia
Dick! how are you? How is the w-30 coming along?

I actually moved out to halifax 3 years ago and have only just started getting back into working on the cutlass but it has been going well so far. As we discussed a couple of years ago, i repainted all those body parts you passed along to me and loaded them with clearcoat and then hand buffed the living hell out of them. Turned out not too bad!
Old August 15th, 2017, 12:01 PM
MOTORHEAD

HEY MISTER TONY

Your car looks great! Nice job

Happy Motoring
Old August 15th, 2017, 12:13 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Tony72Cutlass'S'
also to make it a 'real' w-29, wouldn't i have to add boxed rear control arms and sway bar? and of course MAW add a shiny w-27 cover!
Yes, you'd have to upgrade the suspension to an FE2 (that includes front sway bar upgrade too, and HD shocks/springs BTW). If your bushings need replacing on the front / back, this will also help with your handling. I wasn't looking for that kind of stiffness on mine. No, the 72 W29 didn't have a W27 differential cover. It was offered as a bolt on part from Olds parts though. I added it to my car because it not only looks sharp, but holds more differential fluid and has better cooling capability.

W29 would also have a special skinny stripe package on the hood, sides and along the bottom of the deck lid.

You could also get an N10 exhaust blockoff plate (I bought one from ILT) and convert to a downturned dual exhaust. I don't remember if you converted your car to a 4bbl or not, but the dual exhaust will help the engine breath better. I wouldn't do headers though - more of a PITA than it's worth, plus the headers end up way too close to the proportioning valve.

If you get those sport mirrors from Dick, that will also dress up the car, and improve your side visibility. I'd install convex glass on the right side - it makes a big difference.
Old August 15th, 2017, 06:32 PM

Car looks great. Congrats on a job well done.

[QUOTE=Happy Trails;1036715]Your car looks great! '72 is my favorite year because my Dad has one. I have a '70 Cutlass that I drive around a lot. I'm a very happily married man, but women approach me all the time to talk about the car. If I had $1 for every time I had the following conversation I could probably buy another car:

Womp, Womp, Waaaaa...
Old August 16th, 2017, 05:24 AM
72 Olds CS

Car looks great WTG Tony.

I saw a quote on another forum that may be appropriate here, it applies to my own 72 as well. " Done but not yet finished" I know on my car I continue to make tweaks and adjustments as well as improvements where I see fit! Good job, I've got four more years to hit the decade mark for mine.