General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Oldsmobiles at car shows

Search this Thread

Old July 15th, 2011, 03:28 PM

I hold a car show in Oceanside California on the second sunday of every month at my restaurant. I always make sure that the oldsmobiles get the attention they deserve

Just last month the guy whos 442 is pictured on the OPGI catalogue brought his car to the show. I made sure he got an award. Man that car was BEAUTIFUL in person!
Old July 15th, 2011, 04:11 PM

Location: Orion Township Michigan 30 Miles North of the Murder City
Sid .
Some people just dont get it.You have my vote.
Yellow ,Yellow and Brown.Beautiful car.
I have pictures .Soon you will have a New Instrument Panel.
We are days away.
Its an Oldsmobile thing.
Some just dont get it.
Ron
Old July 18th, 2011, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by getawaycar
Ok, here are a couple of pictures of my wife and I, and one of just her. I meant my comment to be funny but it is true she gets a lot of attention at the car shows. She dresses like a classy 1950's pin up girl when we co to the car shows.

Forget the car, you'd better keep your eyes on your wife.

I was at an indoor show and a few of the Mustang guys kept saying out loud - pretending they were talking amongst themselves "Oldsmbiles, their old man cars aren't they" or "Is Oldsmobile going to be 100, or is that how old you have to be to own one?" Then they'd look over and smile. It was a two day display.

When it was time to leave I heard the Mustang club members saying they were going to eat something first and then come back for their cars. I asked on of our members if they had any oil in the trunk one guy said he did. I walked over to the first mustang and one member asked "You're not going to pour that on the cars are you?" I said that I was a car guy and would never do anything to someone elses car.

However, I did crawl under three cars (the guys who were bugging us all weekend), and poured oil in their drip pans.

When they came back there was a big commotion. They were running around checking under the hood, crawling under the car "I can't see where it's coming from, that's a lot of oil."

So I asked as I started my car "Hey, with age comes experience" as I waved my clean pie plate in the air. "I've got a 455 under this hood, if you like, get a rope and tie the cars together and I'll pull all three of you out of here." They declined but got their medicine when the other Olds guys laughed. They seemed quite ticked off. Don't know if they ever found out.

Last edited by 442much; July 18th, 2011 at 10:24 PM.
Old July 19th, 2011, 12:29 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

442, if they can't take a joke they should keep quiet.
Roger.
Old July 19th, 2011, 11:10 AM

I was at a car show in Kansas City last month while home on leave. Not a single Oldsmobile. Wish I had my 442 there, but it is in storage for now, gettin' prettied-up while I am overseas. DSC01048.jpg
Old July 19th, 2011, 11:11 AM

Wow...that pic came out kinda big, didn't it?
Old July 19th, 2011, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Scotty B
Wow...that pic came out kinda big, didn't it?
I like it! Let's us see the details....hey, is that a woman in the window of the house behind you getting undressed....
Old July 19th, 2011, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by 442much
i like it! Let's us see the details....hey, is that a woman in the window of the house behind you getting undressed....

ha ha ha ha
Old July 19th, 2011, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Some people can't appreciate a car for what it is and only want to see something flashy.

One of the guys in Mid Atlantic Chapter had a 67 442, Cameo Ivory with black vinyl top. The car kinda blended in to the scenery with its colors, but when I judged that car, I realised just what a fantastic and nicely detailed car it was.

I had a 73 88 convert, triple Cranberry and a high-scoring AACA and OCA car, that would regularly get upstaged at local shows by a poorly restored red 72 Monte Carlo. "Amateurish" is describing that car kindly, but the guy had friends and owned a Chevy restoration parts business- which is why I could never understand why the car was done so poorly.

I overheard one Chevy freak saying he didn't understand why people brought them old big cars out, cause nobody wanted to see 'em.

A buddy has a 64 TriPower Grand Prix. If he leaves the big double-snout aircleaner on it at a show, it gets no attention at all. But if he puts the chrome Badger aircleaners on and exposes the TriPower, they're all over it.

So- if you enjoy the car and it's done to standards, why worry what some yahoo at a local car show thinks of it? Realise your audience. They're like magpies- they're attracted to flashy and shiny, and most of them wouldn't know a really nice car if it came up and bit them right in the ***.
I remeber 20+ years ago, you telling me teh story on that red 72 Monte.
Its the same here in the Northeast (at car shows), folks like the FLASH-AND-DASH.
Old July 19th, 2011, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by jag1886
Most people can't think outside of the CHEVY box. I was just at a show this weekend, 780 cars at it, only 7 Oldsmobile's showed up.
x2
Old July 19th, 2011, 02:20 PM

I was at a car show in Kansas City last month while home on leave. Not a single Oldsmobile. Wish I had my 442 there, but it is in storage for now, gettin' prettied-up while I am overseas.
Wow ! Sweeet ride!! Please come home safe from military so you can enjoy your 442 !!
Old July 19th, 2011, 04:34 PM

The 1967 pale yellow paint/seat color with brown carpet, etc. was apparently very popular in its day--see the Four of a Kind test in Hot Rod, April 1967. It was called saffron.
Old July 19th, 2011, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by 442much
I like it! Let's us see the details....hey, is that a woman in the window of the house behind you getting undressed....
Yep...I fell for it. I scrolled back up to see. Should have known better.
Old July 20th, 2011, 12:34 PM

Thanks Chesrown, will-do.
Notice all the houses are the same; that's military housing in North Dakota.
Hey, that woman is my neighbor!....
Old July 20th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Cutlass Lover

That's a very beautiful car ya got there, Scotty!!!
Old July 20th, 2011, 01:08 PM

Thanks Chesrown, will-do.
Notice all the houses are the same; that's military housing in North Dakota.
Hey, that woman is my neighbor!....
Must be Minot? I thought they only had snow up there? You mean they actually have days that you can put that ragtop down???
Old July 20th, 2011, 04:56 PM

At the local cruise in on sat there is usually atleast 2-3 olds parked and a good amount of drive throughs. Its always a good showing when you get together with your local olds people. Had a good meet last sat. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oleZwXgOJxI
Old July 20th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Oldsdruid

Scotty, you and the car lookin' good. Thanks for your service, and make sure you come back in one piece and enjoy that Olds!
Old July 21st, 2011, 02:26 PM

Yup, Minot. Loved it up there. The summers were fabulous; the winters, they were a bit chilly, but it's good for bird huntin'.
Old July 28th, 2011, 06:43 AM

Location: Orion Township Michigan 30 Miles North of the Murder City
I had the priveledge of meeting with Mr Sid Hiatt yesterday in his home town of Anderson Indiana .Class act all the way.He showed me his collection of cars and we had a nice lunch together.Sid is "The Car Guys ..Car Guy".My favorite is his 67 Cutlass Convertible.Or maybe his 57 Olds.He does it the right way..
His 67 is a Yellow, Yellow Brown Convertible Top.For those of you that say Yellow and Brown are a "No No" Your taste must be in your Mouth.This car is beautiful.He has nothing but Head Turners.
Thanks you for the time afforded me Sid..
Please keep in touch.
Ron
Old July 28th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Crazy Canuck

Try owning an `87 and looking for some respect! Not that I care because it is all about chatting with car guys.

Went to a cruise last night with 230 cars. 4 Olds were there including mine. Was chatting with a guy who brought his `72 442 conv. when a fool came by and called his car the famous "gutless cutlass". Some people just don't understand cars...

Wayne
Old July 28th, 2011, 06:26 PM

I consider my car to be very clean, and definately is a better car, and rarer car, than those camaros, stangs, chevelles, novas at EVERY show. I live in mass, and usually I'm the ONLY cutlass there, convertible to boot. Check out my garage pics to see the car in full. And still I see people just walk by and glance at it like it's a '92 Jetta with the paint peeling off. Or they walk by mine cuz they are running to see the 88 Malibu with 22" wheels and factory everything else. But then again, there are the people who do show it love. I had a guy at a local cruise tell me it was the cleanest and straightest car in the parking lot, which was much appreciated. So u gotta take the good with the bad. Alot of people just assume it's a GTO then are surprised when they find out it's an Olds. And it seems like nobody knows that a 330ci motor even exists!! And for the record, I have about $22,000 into this car. I have tubular front control arms, disc brake conversion, and steering linkage kit which I will be installing this winter...hopefully that will really make the front end pop and give the people that kneel down to look under the car something to look at!!!
Old September 18th, 2011, 05:10 AM

The 4 million dollar car! Where is it displayed at?