General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Oldsmobiles at car shows

Search this Thread

Old July 11th, 2011, 05:45 AM
Sid

Oldsmobiles at car shows

I have a 1967 Olds cutlass convertible yellow outside yellow inside brown top,49000.00 miles. The car just does not get any love at car shows,my friend has a 67 442 white out side red buckets seats 4 speed both cars are number ( 2). On the other hand I have a 57 Olds super 88 Holiday that people just love at car shows . Back to the 67 ,if it were a chevy in fair condition or a pontiac G.T.O they score well at any show. Just wondering if any of have the same experience.

SID ---
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC00169 (4).JPG (173.7 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by Sid; July 13th, 2011 at 07:00 AM. Reason: adding picture
Old July 11th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Oldsdruid

Some people can't appreciate a car for what it is and only want to see something flashy.

One of the guys in Mid Atlantic Chapter had a 67 442, Cameo Ivory with black vinyl top. The car kinda blended in to the scenery with its colors, but when I judged that car, I realised just what a fantastic and nicely detailed car it was.

I had a 73 88 convert, triple Cranberry and a high-scoring AACA and OCA car, that would regularly get upstaged at local shows by a poorly restored red 72 Monte Carlo. "Amateurish" is describing that car kindly, but the guy had friends and owned a Chevy restoration parts business- which is why I could never understand why the car was done so poorly.

I overheard one Chevy freak saying he didn't understand why people brought them old big cars out, cause nobody wanted to see 'em.

A buddy has a 64 TriPower Grand Prix. If he leaves the big double-snout aircleaner on it at a show, it gets no attention at all. But if he puts the chrome Badger aircleaners on and exposes the TriPower, they're all over it.

So- if you enjoy the car and it's done to standards, why worry what some yahoo at a local car show thinks of it? Realise your audience. They're like magpies- they're attracted to flashy and shiny, and most of them wouldn't know a really nice car if it came up and bit them right in the ***.
Old July 11th, 2011, 10:04 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Originally Posted by rocketraider
they're like magpies- they're attracted to flashy and shiny, and most of them wouldn't know a really nice car if it came up and bit them right in the ***.
x2
Old July 11th, 2011, 10:17 AM

They're like magpies- they're attracted to flashy and shiny, and most of them wouldn't know a really nice car if it came up and bit them right in the ***.
X3

I remember some years back, just got my 1969 H/O repainted, mused to myself that this was the cleanest it will ever be, went to a local car show and was parked next to a 1967 Pontiac LeMans, not even a GTO, trunk closed, hood open for a while, but was dirty and had leaves & seeds stuck in the cowl, did have a decent interior. Low and behold that car got a trophy in my class and I was shut out. Car shows, especially 'peoples choice' ones heavily lend themselves to Rocketraider's 'magpie' concept. Now I remeber to realize going into a show of the perception. As far as show's go, I feel it's more important now just to get the Olds out to a show than to be a trophy hound since I usually only see about 2 or 3 Oldsmobiles at a local show, including my car...
Old July 11th, 2011, 10:22 AM
1968 442 restoration

Well put rocketraider! I see a lot of Chevys and Pontiacs at local shows and only once in a blue moon do I see an Olds. When I finish mine that is going to change!

Chris
Old July 11th, 2011, 10:55 AM

Welcome to CO

X3 on Rocket raiders comments. My 57 Olds gets lots of attention at car shows but people always say nice cad, buick, but few recognize its a Olds.
Old July 11th, 2011, 11:04 AM

Since more Chevy and Ford cars were sold they seem to be the ones getting all the attention....People go ga ga over the 10 mustangs in a row, 12 camaros and 11 chevelles while the Oldsmobiles dont get a glance. My 66 Delta 375 HP 4spd car is original, not flashy and needs to be gone over cosmetically. Its not a turd by any means. To my knowledge its the only 66 left so equipped. It is very rare that it catches a glance at the cruise nites. But for me thats ok. I enjoy the car greatly.
Old July 11th, 2011, 11:08 AM
delete

I don't enter my car in shows but do take it to cruise nights. IMO it has always been well received. I don't think it is an anti-Olds sentiment. Its just that Chevy guys will be attracted to Chevies, Fords to Fords and there is just less of us around. I think a car with more modest styling will tend to be overlooked by those not into the brand. My car has an OAI hood with stripes & polished torq thrusts so it doesn't blend in.

Last edited by droptopron; July 11th, 2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old July 11th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Old(s) Fart

I go to shows to meet people, not to collect $5 trophies. Funny thing is, however, that my "patina-ed" 62 wagon seems to attract more attention than just about any other car around it. At GMs at Carlisle, where I was parked among a number of very fine Oldsmobiles, it seemed like every time I came back from the swap meet there was a crowd of people around the wagon. Go figure.
Old July 11th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Administrator

My Cutlass gets lots of attention and its won 3 recent trophies, and my 63 big block Plymouth has also won a trunk full of trophies. I don't go to the car shows for the trophies, it's mostly to get out and be around other car people!!
Old July 11th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Randy C.

In some of the shows I've been to recently, I've put my '68 4-4-2 convertible in either "muscle car" or "classic stock" categories. But, with "muscle car", I found mostly Novas and Tempests and Chevelles that had been juiced up with lots of chrome under the hood, big diameter wheels and low sidewall tires. My stock restoration can't compete against that. And in "classic stock", I found the same thing - lots of chrome under the hood, upgraded interiors, custom wheels - all things definitely not "stock" as I envision it to be. Plus, when the "judging" is done by other participants and you get a large club contingent at one show, that club is going to take most or all of the trophies. For example, in one of the more recent shows I attended, the same car won best in class, best in show, and people's choice, because of car club voting - the same car won best in class and best of show at the same event last year. That car doesn't appeal to me at all but it is a very nice mild hot rod restoration.

I think I'll try "orphan" class next year and see what happens!

A lot of these shows that I attend do not have the resources to separate classes between stock, modified or custom, nor do they have the ability to determine what is stock, modified or custom. So I just live with, and thoroughly enjoy, each car show for the fun of seeing a variety of automobiles and the great efforts people put into their cars.

The good part about all that is that I know what I have and am super pleased with it. It's restored my way (really, truely stock) and it is as "correct", especially with the scarcity of certain parts nowadays, as I can get it. That makes me happy!

Randy C.
Attached Images
Olds68byGordieJun10.jpg (59.4 KB, 37 views)
Old July 11th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
...Plus, when the "judging" is done by other participants and you get a large club contingent at one show, that club is going to take most or all of the trophies...
Any peer-judged show will be a beauty contest, so it's not even worth worrying about it. I'm not interested in having a 1,000 point car for OCA/AACA shows anyway, since I want to drive them. Like I said, I don't do it for the trophies.

Our OCA chapter puts on an All-GM show every year (Aug 13 in Rockville, MD, mark your calendars!). It's peer judged with about 15 classes, 3 trophies each. We also have awards for best Chevy/Buick/Caddy/Olds/Pontiac and we have a spreadsheet set up so that the top vote getter in each make gets the "Best" award, but doesn't get any other award. We also have two "Best of Show" awards (one stock, one modified) that are judged by three of the club members independently from the peer judging. A car that gets "Best of Show" does not get another award - we go to the next car on the list.

Of course, the problem I have with that process is that we typically get 130-150 cars and give out over 50 awards. It's almost as bad as t-ball.

I did attend a show last year where I really liked the peer judging. Every participant picked five cars (plus best of show) and awards were given to the top 30 cars. This was a mixed make show, with a wide variation from totally stock to heavily modified, street rods to ricers. I thought it worked quite well (and no, I didn't get anything).
Old July 11th, 2011, 04:56 PM

Most people can't think outside of the CHEVY box. I was just at a show this weekend, 780 cars at it, only 7 Oldsmobile's showed up.
Old July 11th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Olds Nut

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I go to shows to meet people, not to collect $5 trophies. Funny thing is, however, that my "patina-ed" 62 wagon seems to attract more attention than just about any other car around it. At GMs at Carlisle, where I was parked among a number of very fine Oldsmobiles, it seemed like every time I came back from the swap meet there was a crowd of people around the wagon. Go figure.
Ahmen Joe!!!! i go to shows to meet people. Also it get crazy to explain what a cutlass sx is.
Old July 11th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Oldsdruid

That's when you tell them those "tough guy in a Bowtie" Chevelles haven't met Oldsmobile's street brawler in a tuxedo!

I've made some incredibly good friends at shows and cruise nights, but I've also met my share and then some of jerks. And nine times out of ten the jerk is in a Chevrolet or a Fox-body Mustang. That's all they're interested in, and they dismiss any other car there.

One of the funniest things I ever saw at a cruise night was right after a local Mustang club got up and running and showed up en masse at a local cruise. There were about 40 of them, and they all parked side by side. Took up a lot of room truth be known, and a lot of cars made a pass thru and left because there was nowhere to park. They were all about Mustang this and that- wouldn't even walk around to see what else was there.

One of the local Mopar boys walked by and exaggeratedly sniffed the air a few times, then said "Smells like horse schit around here!" and walked off holding his nose.

I shouldn't have laughed, but I couldn't help it!
Old July 11th, 2011, 08:07 PM

Sadly, people today don't see Oldsmobiles for what they really are, a car that might have a small block, but makes a hell of a lot of torque
Old July 12th, 2011, 01:42 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

At the big American car shows in the UK there will be a big range of classics & muscle cars of all codes and creeds, some in great shape, some needing work, as well as more mundane (but still worthy) examples of Detroits output.
But there is normally a large crowd gathered round a collection of Chrysler PT Cruisers. I don't get it, they have been a regular import for years in rhd form. I don't have anything against them, I had one as a rental car on a vacation to the USA once and it was as good as anything else I have rented although not significantly better.
Still, if it gets the public into the shows it can't be a bad thing.
Perhaps as has been said on this thread more people remember their dads Chevy or Ford because more were sold back in the day. Maybe in time the Gbody Cutlasses will gather attention as they were a top seller in their day.
Roger.
Old July 12th, 2011, 03:28 AM

I've taken my car to the local Friday night cruise in a couple times, and though being still more or less a project car it gets the right type of attention. And when I mean the right type, I've found that it attracts a few good all-round car guys to talk to. It might just be my experiences, but it seems likes Oldsmobiles attract guys who appreciate a well-built, solid, and great car that the Olds line most often put out, instead of all the mustang and chevy freaks who like their cars and nothing else no matter what. So yeah, even though it may only attract 3-5 guys the entire show, their often the most knowledgeable and appreciative car guys there.
Old July 12th, 2011, 05:30 AM

I learned early-on that WE OLDS people must be in our "Element" for our cars to earn the respect and attention that they truly deserve! You go away with the highest level of satisfaction when your car gains a significant amount of attention ( no trophy necessary) when you are at an Olds show or a B_O_P show away from all of that other "riff-raff"!!!
What could be better than getting recognition among your "peers'? My 42 NEVER gets a second look at a local show, but it took "Best of Class" at OCA Nationals the first year I took it there! Now - which do you think I "covet" more? Being "overlooked" at a local - or being "recognized" by a group of my 'Olds" peers?!! Joe P has it right too!!
Attached Images
42 Olds Coker 5.jpg (72.3 KB, 26 views)
Old July 12th, 2011, 06:19 AM
Sid

Oldsmobiles at car shows

Thanks for all the input on your cars,I don't care if I receive a trophy it just makes me mad , I love Oldsmobiles have all my 73 years of life, My friend has 67 chev chevell 396 -4 speed 2 door hardtop that is just perfect he is selling it because he just bought a 67 442 one owner 2 door hardtop, I told him not expect the attention that his chevell received at shows. We went to car shows Sat&Sun and sure enough he got nothing. We have 8 guys that go to the shows together on the weekends and we know most of the car guys in the area so we are not dealing with strangers, it makes no difference if is a judged show on participant voteing ,Oldsmobiles no LOVE. To all of you that do, hang in there.

SID----
Old July 12th, 2011, 09:47 AM

I see that at the car cruise-ins as well, my car gets very little attention but when it does it is one of two - very good appreciative attention, or the know-it-all trying to tell me all that's wrong or trying to prove its not a W30, UGH, that gets old (especially "its got power steering/power brakes/AC")
Old July 12th, 2011, 10:09 AM

It seems almost every show I go to including the one my club sponsors the trophies go to the Chevelles, Camaros, Vettes, and 55-57 Chevys. Very rarely does an Olds win. I learned a long time ago that when I go to a show I am going to hang with my friends and look at the cars. I never go with the intention of getting a trophy. Also lets not forget TEEPO (Sandys car) Is cleaning up in Ohio. She has gotten a few trohies...Maybe we should go to the shows in OHIO?
Old July 12th, 2011, 11:26 AM

Some people can't appreciate a car for what it is and only want to see something flashy.

One of the guys in Mid Atlantic Chapter had a 67 442, Cameo Ivory with black vinyl top. The car kinda blended in to the scenery with its colors, but when I judged that car, I realised just what a fantastic and nicely detailed car it was.

I had a 73 88 convert, triple Cranberry and a high-scoring AACA and OCA car, that would regularly get upstaged at local shows by a poorly restored red 72 Monte Carlo. "Amateurish" is describing that car kindly, but the guy had friends and owned a Chevy restoration parts business- which is why I could never understand why the car was done so poorly.

I overheard one Chevy freak saying he didn't understand why people brought them old big cars out, cause nobody wanted to see 'em.

A buddy has a 64 TriPower Grand Prix. If he leaves the big double-snout aircleaner on it at a show, it gets no attention at all. But if he puts the chrome Badger aircleaners on and exposes the TriPower, they're all over it.

So- if you enjoy the car and it's done to standards, why worry what some yahoo at a local car show thinks of it? Realise your audience. They're like magpies- they're attracted to flashy and shiny, and most of them wouldn't know a really nice car if it came up and bit them right in the ***.
Old July 12th, 2011, 11:29 AM

Too many people are into flash and not enough into bang. A local guy here has a 64 chevy ll and the interior is stripped to only a fibreglass seat and race gauges, roll cage and fire ext. The exterior is red oxide primer and under the hood is a 427 crate engine and he is probably the fastest car in this township. Not pretty to look at but solid and very functional.
Old July 12th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Cutlass Lover

Well, people seem to be drawn to Teepo for some reason, lol! I get so many compliments on her. They love her color (I know some people don't like green cars). She has her little dings and things on her, but they don't seem to see them. They love her cloth interior, which is starting to fade now, they love how clean I keep her. I've always kept all my cars extremely clean. Always will. It's just something I enjoy doing. I hear so many stories that start with "I had one of these cars" or "my friend had one of these cars" and they tell me a story! Does my heart good to know my car brings happy memories to people.

I've met soooo many nice people and made so many friends at the shows. They tease me and laugh with me and at me, which is great! Car show people are a whole nother breed, lol. I love the shows and cruise in's. I just love being around the old cars. The sun and music and food and people.... I just really enjoy it all! And if they want to give me an award, I'm not gonna turn it down, lol!
Old July 12th, 2011, 05:32 PM

yellow and brown a nono on any car

Originally Posted by Sid
I have a 1967 Olds cutlass convertible yellow outside yellow inside brown top,49000.00 miles. The car just does not get any love at car shows,my friend has a 67 442 white out side red buckets seats 4 speed both cars are number ( 2). On the other hand I have a 57 Olds super 88 Holiday that people just love at car shows . Back to the 67 ,if it were a chevy in fair condition or a pontiac G.T.O they score well at any show. Just wondering if any of have the same experience.

SID ---
Old July 12th, 2011, 05:44 PM

Smile yellow and brown a nono on any car

I don't mean to be a downer on on your 67 yellow buggy. But the color combo is way off. I'f this was my car I'd go with a black top and interior. Then you could enjoy the wow's and so on!!!!
Old July 12th, 2011, 07:02 PM

I feel your pain Sid. Every show I've attended will have 5 to 6 Chevelles, 4 to 5 Impala's, countless number's of Vette's, 3 to 4 Cutlass's, but only 1 Delmont 88. I've never seen another one at a show anywhere. Most people say..."Delmont 88? Never heard of it" and walk on. It's a clean respectable car. All stock and no flash. But it gets no love what so ever (except from the older crowd). I've learned to accept that. But it would be nice to get a little recognition now and then. The worst was when my 68 and my buddies 55 98 was beat out by an antique Army truck, (it was in the classic category) that was priceless. LOL!
Old July 12th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by jimbo67
I don't mean to be a downer on on your 67 yellow buggy. But the color combo is way off. I'f this was my car I'd go with a black top and interior. Then you could enjoy the wow's and so on!!!!

Yellow outside + yellow inside + brown ragtop USUALLY = spring special or special order promotional. To change it to black gut and top would be changing a special car into a run-of-the-mill example. I know a guy who did this exact thing on a same color combo 67 442 and has regretted it ever since. He did it because at the time the yellow interior material was unavailable and the interior had gotten really ratty. Now with two kids in college he can't afford to redo it correctly.

Stick with the colors as they are and enjoy your car. I always heard cats purr to please themselves, so make like a cat.
Old July 13th, 2011, 06:53 AM
Administrator

I've found that cars are pretty much in the same catagory as wives, the only one who needs to love em, is you! So make it what you want and to hell with all the other opinions!

When I get into one of my cars, I feel good about driving it!!
Old July 13th, 2011, 07:51 AM
1968 442 restoration

People are always checking out my wife at car shows...
Old July 13th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Loose Radical

Originally Posted by getawaycar
People are always checking out my wife at car shows...
Picture posting required for that quote.
Old July 13th, 2011, 02:42 PM
1968 442 restoration

Ok, here are a couple of pictures of my wife and I, and one of just her. I meant my comment to be funny but it is true she gets a lot of attention at the car shows. She dresses like a classy 1950's pin up girl when we co to the car shows.
Attached Images
2010-09-03_20-47-48_32.jpg (20.4 KB, 75 views)
Old July 13th, 2011, 04:43 PM

I have seen most of the things described here. But I think that a lot of those people who ignore a car just because it is not what they drive is not a true car person.

There are not a lot of Oldsmobiles at the shows around here. There is a group of people I hang out with at the shows and most of them own Chevelles, Novas, street rods,... Some even own Mustangs and Mopars. They give me a hard time about the Olds (especially being a 4-door) but it is all in fun. They are always asking me for updates on the progress of the Cutlass. A real car person can appreciate any car.

There are a mix of car shows types around here. Judged, people's/participant's choice and show and shines. Out of the 2 biggest shows around here, one is judged and one is a show and shine. Every year, more and more people are complaining about the judged show. The attendance at the show and shine is growing yearly, this year there were over 1000 cars.

To me, you enjoy your car how you want it and car shows are great opportunities to socialise.
Old July 13th, 2011, 07:50 PM

too bad this was not available at the car shows
Attached Images
88 1.jpg (47.6 KB, 27 views)
88 2.jpg (47.3 KB, 22 views)
88 3.jpg (38.9 KB, 18 views)
88 7b.jpg (53.5 KB, 17 views)
88 5.jpg (55.7 KB, 18 views)
Old July 14th, 2011, 02:27 PM

My 64 4DR Dynamic 88 is a true boat! It never gets the looks that the other GM's get. But in the last four car shows (80-150 cars) I had the only Dynamic. It has a certain style I like. When people do inquire about it they are surprised at the engine and HP.
If they stay around long enough they admit they like the interior and the fact many have never seen one. Yes the older crowd remembers having one or knowing someone who did.
As the years go by and the model becomes rare I think the car will be appreciated more.
Sometimes on the road I like to suprise other drivers at green lights as to how fast the ole gal is.
My father drove some of the classiest olds from 59-85 His son has the same devotion!.
Some car shows are too much ego and not enough a tribute to GREAT AMERICAN CARS
Old July 14th, 2011, 02:39 PM
One of None W-31

[QUOTE=joe_padavano;299358]I go to shows to meet people, not to collect $5 trophies. QUOTE]
Same here.
Old July 14th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Banned

I live in Central Florida and it's not hard to find car shows, car cruises or car meets to go to and you can almost always find a few Oldsmobiles if not more.

I'm not a car show kind of guy but I did attended a OCA Car show once and took home a 2nd place trophy, not because my car is a show car but because there were only 2 cars in that category to be judged.

Last edited by SBORule; July 21st, 2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old July 15th, 2011, 02:30 AM

i had far more comments about the 62 Dynamic 88 i had than i ever did my Rallye 350. if i were in it for the trophies i would have a Camero like you will find in every big or small town across America.
Old July 15th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Red64Cutlass

I wasn't looking for an Olds when I found my 64 Cutlass Holiday Coupe. I was looking for a "not Mopar/ not Chevy/ not Ford that looks good in Cragar SS's". Now I am hooked and picked up a couple of 64 Cutlass convertibles I hope you'll be seeing more of in the not too distant future. At car shows I do get a lot of "that's an OLDS?! Wow!"

Quick Reply: Oldsmobiles at car shows