General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Oldsmobile W-Machine Show Case @ MCACN V

Search this Thread

Old November 20th, 2013, 05:04 PM

Stefano

Sent you a PM

Don W
Old November 21st, 2013, 04:16 AM

It just hit me.....Stefano spells "Kool" with a "K" for backwards "k" in "NicKey"!!!
Old November 23rd, 2013, 07:04 PM
Just the facts...

"Theres a special feel in an Oldsmobile"...yours truly sitting in the Fouranado

Special Thanks to Fred and Collette, Bill and Diane!

bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Fouranado_Bill.jpg (51.4 KB, 518 views)
Old November 23rd, 2013, 07:57 PM
Senior Moment Member

That Root Beer colored W-30 might have been my favorite of the show. I didn't get a pic of it though. How? Thanks for sharing. Was that THE best dang car show EVER? I think so.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 08:04 PM

dude..appreciate the effort on the pics...but i'm either drunk, or only 2 are in focus....c'mon...
Old November 23rd, 2013, 08:09 PM
Senior Moment Member

Go to the thread MCACN Pics. They're a little better. I took 'em. (brag)
Old November 23rd, 2013, 08:53 PM

wow, what a great show!! there was ALOT of high end resto cars of all makes and models! the olds were represented very well. meet a couple guys from level 1 restoration {very nice people}. saw some gorgeous 442's. the best muscle car show I have ever been to period. the judging left a lot to be desired for sure! I have learned very very much in the past 3 years on 70 442's but lay no claim to being a expert. but when I heard one of the judges talking about disqualifying {sp} my car for not being a pace car I had to ask him if he read the cowl tag and if he saw the Y-74 {Y-74= pace car}. his answer " the y-74 paint code has nothing to do with it! I was going to try to explain the cowl tag info to him but just kinda laughed and walked away. not too sure if they are going to score the car or not. not to worried about it as the wife is having a great time!! and the show is outstanding!!
Old November 23rd, 2013, 10:50 PM
Senior Moment Member

Yes, the show was absolutely outstanding I agree. I never miss this one!
Old November 24th, 2013, 03:01 AM

I am leaving right now for the show. Can't wait to see the cars.
Old November 25th, 2013, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by charlierogers
wow, what a great show!! there was ALOT of high end resto cars of all makes and models! the olds were represented very well. meet a couple guys from level 1 restoration {very nice people}. saw some gorgeous 442's. the best muscle car show I have ever been to period. the judging left a lot to be desired for sure! I have learned very very much in the past 3 years on 70 442's but lay no claim to being a expert. but when I heard one of the judges talking about disqualifying {sp} my car for not being a pace car I had to ask him if he read the cowl tag and if he saw the Y-74 {Y-74= pace car}. his answer " the y-74 paint code has nothing to do with it! I was going to try to explain the cowl tag info to him but just kinda laughed and walked away. not too sure if they are going to score the car or not. not to worried about it as the wife is having a great time!! and the show is outstanding!!
walked by your car a few times, didn't see you there.

re Y-74 - thats funny as thats the second olds judging question I've heard. you'd think they would find judges which know the brand. however, I know of some judges familiar with the brand, who don't know correct from incorrect. so it's a crap shoot I guess.

so charlie, was the car judged or no?
Old November 25th, 2013, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by junior supercar
walked by your car a few times, didn't see you there.

re Y-74 - thats funny as thats the second olds judging question I've heard. you'd think they would find judges which know the brand. however, I know of some judges familiar with the brand, who don't know correct from incorrect. so it's a crap shoot I guess.

so charlie, was the car judged or no?
well I guess they came back around and went over car again while we were out checking the show out. we got dinged for the fenderwells and intake, which we new was coming. they also hit us on the nos door handles as they are not like the show crome ones we saw. heck I thought they looked alright. and they got us for the buzzer {horn relay} not working. I forgot to hook it back up as it was driving me crazy. that's it. car scored very, VERY high! my wife got her concours gold certificate and some big glass diamond trophy. we were very excited about it all.
Old November 25th, 2013, 01:12 PM

I wonder how the clone that was in the Wmachine showcase scored?

Greg
Old November 25th, 2013, 01:21 PM

forgot to add that I am sorry I missed you and tk-65. though we did get to meet steve {stevengerard,} scott {scottow31}, Stefano, bob {bashton} all great guys for sure! thanks for stopping and saying hi. we were in a little olds pack in the back and there was a stunning from top to bottom green 70 hardtop w-30 and the owners attitude was what these shows should be all about to bad he is not part of this forum as he has a couple olds that are darn near perfect! btw if you are reading this steve I want to see that Christmas picture of the tree we talked about. lmao!!!
Charlie,,,
Old November 25th, 2013, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by rcktdoc
I wonder how the clone that was in the Wmachine showcase scored?

Greg
which one was the clone??
Old November 25th, 2013, 01:41 PM

Im not sure I will say on here,but I can assure you there was one.Maybe he will come clean on here. I doubt it.

Greg
Old November 25th, 2013, 02:05 PM

Benefit of collecting and researching stickers is being able to spot a fake. Notice, among other things, the dealer code is 10 5A2.

Old November 25th, 2013, 02:15 PM

Werent all the W machines supposed to be certified as real?
Old November 25th, 2013, 04:22 PM

interesting, I do remember Friday night walking the floor after setup and seeing one of the 70 w-30's showing a lansing buildsheet?? and remembering reading here NOT 1 has ever been found that is legit. forgot to go back over the weekend and check it out. I wonder if this is the same car being discussed? seems this window sticker is a little sketchy, this was a pretty darn big show and with everthing that goes along with it I am sure a couple things will slip through the cracks. and lets be realistic there are some people that spend way more time making repo/fake/bogus ect,ect parts such as window stickers, cowl plates, correct rivits, build sheets, cylinder heads ect,ect that even the experts cannot tell the difference. and that's a FACT! let me be clear I am not talking about anyone on this forum just people I have met over the years.
Charlie,,,
Old November 25th, 2013, 04:30 PM

No that is not the car. I have owned 10 1970 W30s and all had build sheets. 68-69 W cars are the ones your very rarely find build sheets in.

Greg

Last edited by rcktdoc; November 25th, 2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old November 25th, 2013, 04:39 PM

That window sticker was on the W31 and that's not a build sheet its an order form (window sticker). Looked liked a pretty good fake to me. I was questioning the rocket logo's on the side as well they did not look correct to me.
Old November 25th, 2013, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by charlierogers
forgot to add that I am sorry I missed you and tk-65. though we did get to meet steve {stevengerard,} scott {scottow31}, Stefano, bob {bashton} all great guys for sure! thanks for stopping and saying hi. we were in a little olds pack in the back and there was a stunning from top to bottom green 70 hardtop w-30 and the owners attitude was what these shows should be all about to bad he is not part of this forum as he has a couple olds that are darn near perfect! btw if you are reading this steve I want to see that Christmas picture of the tree we talked about. lmao!!!
Charlie,,,
Yep it was nice meeting you guys too. I came late Saturday night and so many people were gone and there were so many great cars I had to come back Sunday. I was still a bit disappointed I didn't meet more olds guys Only a few of the W30 convertible folks were around. I spent a lot of time talking with Jeff about the #2 pace car - great story great guy, I bet I passed the garage that car was in at least a few times. I hope to get that pic Charlie, we'll see hopefully we will get another rain after this latest dusting of snow.

By the way I still can't believe how the paint on your valve covers looks better than most peoples fenders.
Old November 25th, 2013, 04:47 PM

No that is not the car. I have owned 10 1970 W30s and all had build sheets. 68-69 W cars are the ones your very rarely find build sheets in.

Greg
Build sheet? or do you mean broadcast card or order form, all three are different. I have yet to see a build sheet from Lansing. Broadcast cards, window stickers, POPs, and order forms yes, build sheets no.
Old November 25th, 2013, 04:49 PM

Original widow stickers have a glossy face almost look cleared. I have an original widow sticker for a 69 442. I just cant post pics on here.

Greg
Old November 25th, 2013, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by stevengerard
Build sheet? or do you mean broadcast card or order form, all three are different. I have yet to see a build sheet from Lansing. Broadcast cards, window stickers, POPs, and order forms yes, build sheets no.
Your correct Broadcast card. My terminology was wrong.

Greg
Old November 25th, 2013, 05:01 PM

Old November 25th, 2013, 05:12 PM

Greg
I could of made a mistake about reading there has not been any documented 1970 w-30 build sheets found? I am not talking about the broadcast cards or window stickers. I do know which each looks like. maybe some one can post a pic of each one so everbodys on the same page? so did anybody else there see the 70 w-30 with buildsheet? wondering if it was taken down sat in the am?
Old November 25th, 2013, 05:14 PM

jeez I gotta learn to type faster, lol
Old November 25th, 2013, 05:32 PM

Thanks to everyone who participated in any way in order to help make MCACN V, a very successful event.

I hope that you all had a good time, I know that We certainly did.

It was nice to meet some of the members and participants in person.

Regarding our Judging program: no program is perfect and we do strive to do the best possible job we can. There is no one person who knows everything about Oldsmobiles or everything about any make and model, for that matter. This is one of the main reasons that cars a judged by more than one person.

We have over 100 show judges, from all walks of life and they work for the benefit of the hobby, they are not paid.

Regarding, clones, fakes, frauds etc., while we do our best to not invite such vehicles to be displayed as authentic at the show, we can be subject to becoming victims of fraudulent activities and missrepresentations.
Old November 25th, 2013, 05:43 PM

Furthermore a concours judging sheet is not a certification of authenticity
We do provide a Vintage Certification class for select vehicles which does address authenticity.

All in all, a show of this magnitude is no easy or simple undertaking and we will continue to strive to make overall improvements.

Thanks again for all the support.

Last edited by Stefano; November 25th, 2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old November 25th, 2013, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Stefano
All authentic Oldsmobile produced W-Machines.

No tributes, clones, recreations and/or frauds, will be displayed in the show case.!
??????? Just what do you do to verify that a car is authentic?
Old November 25th, 2013, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Stefano
Thanks to everyone who participated in any way in order to help make MCACN V, a very successful event.

I hope that you all had a good time, I know that We certainly did.

It was nice to meet some of the members and participants in person.

Regarding our Judging program: no program is perfect and we do strive to do the best possible job we can. There is no one person who knows everything about Oldsmobiles or everything about any make and model, for that matter. This is one of the main reasons that cars a judged by more than one person.

We have over 100 show judges, from all walks of life and they work for the benefit of the hobby, they are not paid.

Regarding, clones, fakes, frauds etc., while we do our best to not invite such vehicles to be displayed as authentic at the show, we can be subject to becoming victims of fraudulent activities and missrepresentations.
It was a great show! So many beautiful cars all under one roof!! It's hard to say which one was my favorite -- besides mine of course
Old November 25th, 2013, 06:04 PM

Generally there is an expert assigned to the showcase. It is the responsibility of that individual to review the applications, the history, provenance and/or documentation and extend invitations to selected vehicles.

Let's not make this about what MCACN did wrong as MCACN does not certify authenticity of showcase participants vehicles. If the show was duped it was because of fraudulent representations made by the owner of the vehicle.

There are very few judging events which will verify the authenticity of a muscle car.
Old November 25th, 2013, 06:15 PM

I thought it was great to see all those W cars there and it really made me wish I brought one of mine. I give everyone credit who was there and involved with the show in anyway. It does get frustrating to hear something as basic as Y74 being considered a paint code but then again that's basic to us in the Oldsmobile world. I noticed a bunch of things on all those cars that I would possibly question and that's why I was hoping to meet more of the owners. I did talk to Gary and Jeff about two of the W30s, both cars had painted oil fill caps, one of my cars does, one doesn't. They said it varies. Also, neither of my engine hooks were painted most W30 have blue hooks? In the big picture how much do little things like that matter, to me not much but I like to find out the answer, to others its the difference in a 990 car and a 998 car of which I will most likely never own.

I saw a bunch of things from the really minor to what I thought were rather horrible stripes but again in the big picture it had to be one of the best car shows ever - I paid twice to get in and I almost never pay to go to a car show when you get to be involved in them for free any day of the week.

I for one will try my best not to criticize any car as I have no idea of the circumstances or history of the car or the owner.

There was a supposed survivor matador red 4-speed convertible W30 - sure looked authentically original to me. I took as many pictures as I could but didn't get any of the interior, me nor others ever saw the owner.
Old November 25th, 2013, 06:17 PM

Your the one on the defensive I just asked a simple question.

Greg
Old November 25th, 2013, 06:21 PM

Stefano, one question, I do not remember seeing one convertible with the top down, why is that - were the cars to be judged with the top up or was it a preference by the owners.
Old November 25th, 2013, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by stevengerard
Stefano, one question, I do not remember seeing one convertible with the top down, why is that - were the cars to be judged with the top up or was it a preference by the owners.

I'm not a car show guy but I found out this summer that you have to have the top up to be judged. My top is always down
Old November 25th, 2013, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by RALLYE KID
TK-65 How do you justify that the car is not what it is by the window sticker. I talked to builder of the car for an hour and told me that the owners father bought it brand new in 1969 and even showed me pictures of the car sitting on the lot in 69 at the Oldsmobile dealership. The builder was very knowledgeable about the W cars and how they were built . Sounds like someone is jeoulous of someone on here.
Oh my God....I cant believe you even made that post!

Greg
Old November 25th, 2013, 07:21 PM

Jealous?

When the poster said a clone was at the show, I PMed him and asked what car it was, off the record. He told me about a car that was bought new by the owners father, and it was a clone. Nothing more. I immediately recalled a story from a guy that sent me a window sticker. Said it was the original off his dads brand new W31. Pic below,

DSC02653_zps04c74499.jpg

When a guy send me a photo of a Jim Osborn sticker, with Dot Matrix printing, I have to ask why he thinks it real. When he tells me its the original, his dad bought it new, and he saw it on the car, my only reaction is to say BS. And when he swears that its real and I dont know what Im talking about...

I have enough of these to know whats real and whats not. And this sticker has been aged even more since I last saw it. Hell I dont think its the same one.

The final nail is the PMs I got from the guy that originally had this car in his shop. Its up to him to say what he told me. His story will make you apologize for calling me jealous.

Last edited by TK-65; November 25th, 2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old November 25th, 2013, 07:28 PM

Well Rallye KID........sounds like you need to come clean.................. Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practic to deceive. One lie leads to another and another.
Old November 25th, 2013, 07:48 PM
Shoveling Snow

Yes they were not printed with the little dot that's for sure.
I have looked at many window stickers from a wide section of years and none use that style font. The u in cutlass is very suspect.
In most cases I would yield to Jasens experience in these matters.

Quick Reply: Oldsmobile W-Machine Show Case @ MCACN V