General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Oldsmobile W-Machine Show Case @ MCACN V

Old November 28th, 2013, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by RALLYE KID
if you want to talk about fraud and dishonest we came talk about how you sold parts off of customers cars to pay for your rent but I wont go their because I have more class then that.
You went there (not their) - but said you wouldn't - but yet you claim to have more class?
Old November 28th, 2013, 07:16 AM

What you he told me about the sticker in emails is true. Why else would I have saved the photo of the sticker he sent to me? Why would I even have that photo? It was sent to me years ago and I knew exactly what car Greg was talking about when he told me about the "dad" owning it.

There may be an original sticker but I seriously doubt it has the code W31 on it.
Old November 28th, 2013, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass

Copper not because of the tread but that is Funny

Last edited by firefrost gold; November 29th, 2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old November 28th, 2013, 09:55 AM

Mcacn

Why does every Olds forum have to turn into a back stabbing Match? I stopped going to OCA events after 2008. I have quality cars to show and will place them in the best venues and MCACN is right up there. All in it cost me $6000+ to have my car on display there, it got lots of attention from almost every kind of car aficionado.

The MCACN show was the best display of W machines ever assembled,in quality not measured in quantity. I would have liked to have seen a 67 and 68 W30 and a 72.

My car is now in Phoenix and I will show it at the AZ olds show in Feb. I hope the AZ Olds guys can assemble a W30 from every year for a photo shoot, I know 66,68,70 and 72 will be represented, as well as 68 and 68 Hurst Olds.
Old November 28th, 2013, 05:12 PM

Is this a yearly event? How much is it to enter the show? or enter a car?
Old November 28th, 2013, 06:17 PM

yes yearly, was $200 wife wants to go next year. don't know if they are spot lighting 442's this year. but it would be nice to have a group of oldsmobile's together! thinking about bringing one of my street cars down also. Charlie,,,
Old November 28th, 2013, 06:33 PM

I won't have anything ready for a couple years
Old November 28th, 2013, 06:36 PM

I think it's by invite and only very special cars.
Old November 28th, 2013, 06:59 PM

2014 will be the 6th Anual MCACN show. At this point it has been and will be at the same place and same time every year unless there is further notification.

The weekend before Thanksgiving.

We are taking a break for the holidays and will soon meet to establish the target showcases for next year.

If you have a special car, and would like to have it considered submit your application via the web site @ www.MCACN.com

The fees depend on whether or not you have your car judged as well as the classification of judging.

Tickets are $20.00 pre show and $25.00 at the gate.

Last edited by Stefano; November 29th, 2013 at 07:27 AM.
Old November 28th, 2013, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Stefano
If you have the original, then why wouldn't you make a color copy of that for your display? Why would you need a fake?
Totally agree with above statement! Paperwork/documents is one of my sore subjects too. People are getting more creative reproducing documents to make them look aged, worn, etc., like they are original but it bothers me when an owner represents them as original which causes issues like questioned here. If you have the original document, a good color copy to show and not a repro. Looks like they used heat like a torch or something to discolor that second sticker.

My H/Os are highly documented and have a framed display of colored copies of original docs for each while actual originals are kept in safe keeping. Though today I'm reluctant to show docs because people just want to photograph to use for making false documents. I believe if you got original paperwork show as you wish but reproduction window stickers-who cares. If someone tells me a repo sticker is original it just make me wonder what other non truthful things are said about the cars.

As for judging, I've seen the OCA judge a car and deduct points because it didn't match what the repo window sticker said!? Really? Sounds like they are judging fake paperwork to me when it should only count if original and deduct points for having non-original window stickers IMO. With that mentality my car would lose points if judged because of added factory/dealer options not listed on my original window sticker, build sheet, or dealer invoice.

Going to the MCACN and seeing such high caliber vehicles is one show on must do list but haven't been able to do yet (Especially sorry to miss the "cars from Hurst" display year past).
Old November 29th, 2013, 08:49 AM
1970 442

Stefano, there's no need to apologize about having the 69 W-31 in the display. The owner misled you. I don't think it's your responsibility to verify every car, from the history to the patina, just for a car show. If the car was for sale, then yes, but this is just a car show.

There was a company that made window stickers made to order that were aged. I think it was for Chevy guys. They had a website too. They had aged Chevelle and Camaro window stickers that looked very real. Not sure if they're still out there, but I think they sold a lot of Oldsmobile stuff too. They stood behind the 'it's just a novelty' excuse I think. There's also a company that make any trim tag you want for our Oldsmobiles. You can add options, change color, anything you want, called trimtags.com.

It looks like you guys put in a great show. I will have to try and make it next year. I'm guessing it's pretty cold in Chicago in November!
Old December 1st, 2013, 07:57 AM

Well, I missed this year's show and will miss next year's, too because we booked our annual Thanksgiving Caribbean Cruise while onboard the ship. Thanks to Dan Vasic, Stefano, and Jasen I almost feel as though I WAS there!!! Way to go guys!
Now, for my take on this slippery slope.....building a car to suit your own personal taste is what this hobby (passion for me) is all about. The minute the first reproduction part was produced it changed. No longer was it a quest to find that item that made the car what you wanted it to be....merely place the order and it appeared on your doorstep. Clones became a part of the business. Then the paint formulas widened and painters changed the game with 10-mile deep paint. Then paperwork was introduced that while NOT original, could fool even the best critics. And finally, television broadcasts of auctions selling overpriced cars to people who's judgement was alcohol impaired changed the prices/values of our cars. If a car is NOT how it left the factory, I say no harm/no foul IF IT REPRESENTED AS SUCH. We all like what we like and most of us have cars we built to our specifications, likes, and budgets. If one of our cars is in a national invitatation only show, then I feel it is the owner's due dilligence and reputation-saving duty to inform said show organizers that the car is being shown as a representative of that marque. Sure, we all wish every car was the real McCoy, but few are and the reality is there are more fake ones than real. These cars were not designed or intended to last 50 years, so replacement parts are a necessity. It is when those replacement parts are used to create a car that is more rare, valuable, and desirable than what it assembled as. Honesty is and always has been the best policy, and it is the backbone of my reputation and way of doing business. In my opinion, these so-called clones, tributes, recreations, whatever terminology you choose DO have a place in our hobby........please just represent them as such.
Old December 1st, 2013, 04:12 PM

well said!
Old December 1st, 2013, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Siltman
Well, I missed this year's show and will miss next year's, too because we booked our annual Thanksgiving Caribbean Cruise while onboard the ship. Thanks to Dan Vasic, Stefano, and Jasen I almost feel as though I WAS there!!! Way to go guys!
Now, for my take on this slippery slope.....building a car to suit your own personal taste is what this hobby (passion for me) is all about. The minute the first reproduction part was produced it changed. No longer was it a quest to find that item that made the car what you wanted it to be....merely place the order and it appeared on your doorstep. Clones became a part of the business. Then the paint formulas widened and painters changed the game with 10-mile deep paint. Then paperwork was introduced that while NOT original, could fool even the best critics. And finally, television broadcasts of auctions selling overpriced cars to people who's judgement was alcohol impaired changed the prices/values of our cars. If a car is NOT how it left the factory, I say no harm/no foul IF IT REPRESENTED AS SUCH. We all like what we like and most of us have cars we built to our specifications, likes, and budgets. If one of our cars is in a national invitatation only show, then I feel it is the owner's due dilligence and reputation-saving duty to inform said show organizers that the car is being shown as a representative of that marque. Sure, we all wish every car was the real McCoy, but few are and the reality is there are more fake ones than real. These cars were not designed or intended to last 50 years, so replacement parts are a necessity. It is when those replacement parts are used to create a car that is more rare, valuable, and desirable than what it assembled as. Honesty is and always has been the best policy, and it is the backbone of my reputation and way of doing business. In my opinion, these so-called clones, tributes, recreations, whatever terminology you choose DO have a place in our hobby........please just represent them as such.

Nicely done Dave.
Old December 1st, 2013, 05:05 PM

Just so you know I already purchased the winning tickets ; )

But please do continue to support the great cause.

Where else can you go to WIN a W-Machine!
Say, I have not yet received my notification that I won the Rallye 350... what's the delay?

Just wondering.... suppose I was to pretty up my '68 W30, which you seem to have a shortage of at the show... but not exactly to factory specs. Is that still allowed? I mean, it's a real W30, but I don't want a single 4-bbl on it when I have the L69 setup just waiting for a use. Would that be considered a no-no because it's so not like a real '68 W30? I don't have any faked window stickers yet either, so no worries there. Jeez, what if the date codes on the D heads is incorrect- I never checked that. How far can I stray and still be considered? Ditch the non-original G-400 engine in favor of a 425? At least it's not a Chevy engine.

PS this is not [entirely] facetious.
In the end I will do what I want with my car, but if a simple intake swap will make it viable as a candidate for that show, I might consider that.

Last edited by Octania; December 3rd, 2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old December 1st, 2013, 06:07 PM

Very well said Dave, you must have recharged your batteries on that Voyage.

The Rally is at my shop waiting on a transporter ride to Michigan, where the new owner is holding the winning ticket.

At MCACN we seek authentic and special cars. The type of cars which make people want to drive to the show just in order to see that particular car.

All cars do not have to be concours perfect to be considered. Sometimes the story or the history is as important as the cars themselves.

Your '68 sounds like a good candidate, however if you were to have it judged it may not score top points in Concours judging. It may better qualify for Day II Concours or Street Stock.

Last edited by Stefano; December 1st, 2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old December 2nd, 2013, 02:53 AM

Thanks Stefano. My yearly trip falls on that same weekend and like I said before, my wife is so good to me about my cars and life in general that I would never ask her to cancel our vacation. The trip has become a tradition of sorts and means a lot to us.
Thanks also for the kind words about my car. I believe it would be a great candidate for the show and I doubt I would even have it judged. Being an original race car, many a purist would scoff at the idea of what was changed the day it rolled off of the car carrier. It has led quite a life!!!
I have to run and get back to the real world. Bye for now, Dave.
Old December 2nd, 2013, 09:24 AM

IMG_17052_zps84ccc6eb.jpg

Me and my 66 at MCACN
Old December 2nd, 2013, 10:54 AM

Paul, you are one handsome guy!!! I say this because we are twins!!! Except I only wear "cheater glasses". I really like your car as the '66 post W-30 is one of my ALL-TIME FAVORITES!!! I wish I had the room and play money to take it off your hands. I came "Oh so close" to buying a '66 post L-69 with an installed TracPac that was raced as a new car. I'm sure you know the one I refer to; a bronze f85 from The Great White North. I was close to buying it before the car was "stickered" and went to Mecum.
Old December 2nd, 2013, 11:23 AM

I want to give a special thanks to all who participated at the show in anyway.

Paul's W-30 was awarded the NicKey (Sponsor) pick of the show.

We had almost 600 to cars to choose from!

It is such a significant Olds in the scheme of W-Machine / W-30 history and has a tremendous and colorful history as well.

Congrats!
Old December 2nd, 2013, 11:26 AM
MOTORHEAD

congrats Paul
mister that is a fine 66
Old December 2nd, 2013, 02:51 PM

Congrats

Way to go Paul on the Nickey sponsored Pick of Show Award. The car is simply awesome. Have fun with it at your next in AZ.
Old December 3rd, 2013, 06:30 AM

Congrats on the award, Paul. Considering the competition, that is quite an achievement. Please tell us more about your other Oldsmobiles.
Old December 3rd, 2013, 09:58 AM

"All cars do not have to be concours perfect to be considered. Sometimes the story or the history is as important as the cars themselves.

Your '68 sounds like a good candidate, however if you were to have it judged it may not score top points in Concours judging. It may better qualify for Day II Concours or Street Stock."
===================
Perfect.
I intend to make my car what I want with what I have/ can get, and that will not be "exactly as it left the factory." It should however be a crowd pleaser. What the factory should have made. That day is $O far away though.
Old December 3rd, 2013, 11:17 AM

Here is a photo of the Award. Thanks Stefano,I hadnt realized it was a show wide pick,definitely an honor.

Dave

For info on my other cars, see this website:

www.vancouverclassiccars.com

Paul

Last edited by paulolds; December 5th, 2013 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Correction
Old December 4th, 2013, 06:37 PM

[

My car is now in Phoenix and I will show it at the AZ olds show in Feb. I hope the AZ Olds guys can assemble a W30 from every year for a photo shoot, I know 66,68,70 and 72 will be represented, as well as 68 and 68 Hurst Olds.[/QUOTE]
I heard an AZ native had an interest in your car, did anything pan out? otherwise that car is surely making the long diatnce car show rounds! neat car!!
Old December 5th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Kjr442

Originally Posted by Dave Siltman
Congrats on the award, Paul. Considering the competition, that is quite an achievement. Please tell us more about your other Oldsmobiles.

X 2 Please tell us more.
Old December 5th, 2013, 05:07 PM

See my website for info on my cars:

Old December 5th, 2013, 07:13 PM
Kjr442

Originally Posted by paulolds
See my website for info on my cars:

Thank you Paul, I love your collection.
Old December 6th, 2013, 08:07 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Originally Posted by rcktdoc
in 69 Oldsmobile didnt code body color with number codes it coded them with Letter codes EE not 51 51 these codes can be found on factory Dealer literature and the assembly manual.
Greg Godon
No in 1969 they began using numbers for paint color and letters for vinyl or convertible top color.

Irregardless I wish I could've attended this wonderful show. From all of he pics I've saw from all over the net, there were some very special cars there.

Thanks to all that posted the great pics in the first few pages and for the interesting and colorful drama caused by a very nice car misrepresented as real
Old December 6th, 2013, 08:39 PM

Actually different plants coded paint differently. In 69 Fremont used numbers doubled, example 7575.

Lansing and Linden wrote out the colors then a letter for paint and a number for top.

Framingham wrote out the color then used a number for paint.

Lansing always started with the transmission option first, unless a W option was ordered. Linden, Framingham and Fremont went alphabetically.
Old December 6th, 2013, 08:39 PM
Administrator

Paul, that's one wicked 66!
Old December 6th, 2013, 09:10 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Thanks for the clarification.
Old December 6th, 2013, 09:37 PM

My '69 cowl tag is coded "55 55" for the lower and upper body colors, my window sticker is printed with "KK" at the bottom for the color ( Tahitian Turquoise).
Old December 6th, 2013, 09:50 PM

same here my 69 lansing 75 75
Old December 7th, 2013, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by GAOldsman
No in 1969 they began using numbers for paint color and letters for vinyl or convertible top color.

Irregardless I wish I could've attended this wonderful show. From all of he pics I've saw from all over the net, there were some very special cars there.

Thanks to all that posted the great pics in the first few pages and for the interesting and colorful drama caused by a very nice car misrepresented as real
I have a 69 window sticker in front of me that says your wrong. Lansing car with letter codes. Cowl tag #s

Greg

Last edited by rcktdoc; December 7th, 2013 at 04:53 AM.
Old August 20th, 2016, 08:40 AM

MCACN 2016 is right around the Corner.
Old August 20th, 2016, 03:27 PM

MCACN 2016 is right around the Corner.

My 71 automatic W30 convert will be there in the class of 71 and we also have 5 other cars coming from Phoenix including an original owner Berger COPO camaro and a low mileage 440 six pack Superbird just to mention a few.

Looking forward to this show again always the best of the best.
Old August 20th, 2016, 05:31 PM

I would love to take the Jetfire but can't this year.
Old August 20th, 2016, 10:39 PM
Senior Moment Member

DO NOT MISS THIS SHOW! Fly in if you have to. I was there with my camera at 8:30 pm. There was no one there. I had the place to myself. It was awesome. I have never missed a year and am NEVER disappointed. This is the best Musclecar show in the country bar none. EVERY car is a 1000 pointer. Don't miss it!

For instance. this car was just featured in hemming Muscle Machines. It was there and took a trophy.

Like Hemi Cuda Converts? I think they had 27 of them last year. Just awesome.

Last edited by z11375ss; August 20th, 2016 at 10:49 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oldsmobile W-Machine Show Case @ MCACN V