General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Oldsmobile 4-4-2 and W-Machine: Restoration Guide By T. Patrick Sullivan

Search this Thread

Old April 15th, 2011, 01:03 PM
70 Cutlass SX

Oldsmobile 4-4-2 and W-Machine: Restoration Guide

By T. Patrick Sullivan

Has anyone got this book? I am looking for an opinon on the accuracy of the data.

Thanks, Peter
Old April 15th, 2011, 01:12 PM

Yes, It was first published in 1992. it's [like alot of books] is filled with reprinted material from other sources. Doesn't say a whole lot about restoration. I'd save my $$ JMHO
Old April 15th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Oldsdruid

"Way back when" it was about as accurate as it got, but since it was published a lot of new and more accurate data has surfaced. The Sullivans are good folks and you have to appreciate the effort they put into the book, but now I'd look at other books first.
Old April 15th, 2011, 01:25 PM
70 Cutlass SX

Actually, I am not looking for a "how to" on restoration. I am looking more for original tech data, option availability, that sort of thing. But I have found various sources with conflicting information, and so was wondering how "correct" this book may be.
If there are other sources of information anyone could recommend I would be gratefull to know about them.

I recently posted a request for information (RFI) about engine torque curves for the L31, L33, L65, L74 and W32 options for the 1970 Cutlass and SX. If anyone knows where I can get that please let me know.

Thanks, Peter
Old April 15th, 2011, 04:48 PM

I think the mistakes were considered mistakes even when the book was published.

It's a nice book for the library, but I would never use it as a resource for accurate data. If you want to see reprinted sales literature, then it's a nice book to have.
Old April 15th, 2011, 04:54 PM

Few pics of the 1970 section. Nothing spectacular. I found much more interesting info in the package I received from the GM Canada Heritage Center.

Last edited by oldzy; October 22nd, 2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old April 15th, 2011, 05:14 PM

As far as specs and reprints of original factory and sales materials with available colors, options, models, specs, etc., it's a pretty darn good source. Despite the griping, the most inaccurate things I found in 15+ years of owning this book is the photo captions A lot of those are off in some form or another. I have yet to see a better book that captures this info in one place.
Terry
Old April 15th, 2011, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by vette442
I have yet to see a better book that captures this info in one place.
Terry
Then again, when was the last time you saw an Oldsmobile book being written?

I think a caption of a '69 calling it a '71 is quite bad. And the level of knowledge has increased a lot more since it was written. A hobbyist looking for good info would be better served to bookmarking a few *good* webpages, but it's a nice addition to an Olds fan's library.
Old April 15th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Oldsdruid

That could have been poor proofreading/editing. You saw the same type things in the Casteele book and there was never any doubt that stuff was taken from factory information. The trouble was some of it never found its way back home. I saw some amazing things when I helped Penny go thru the stuff after Dennis died, before she sold it all to Walter Miller. It was probably about as well Miller got it to resell, since I'm sure if she'd given it back to GM they would have eventually tossed it all and no one would have gotten any benefit from it.

Many people do not know that Patrick's dad was a Parts & Service Manager at Black Cad-Olds in Greensboro NC and as such had access to about everything that was ever issued on the Olds performance cars. Black was also very tightly entwined with the Charlotte Zone service office and had access to all Zone and some factory level stuff. So I think the info was probably presented to the publisher correctly and some stuff got bungled once it got there.

The now-retired Charlotte Zone service manager can still rattle off part numbers, specifications, tech bulletin updates etc like he was still working for Oldsmobile.
Old April 15th, 2011, 10:09 PM

It's really not a bad book, I use it to confirm info from other sources, and it does come in handy. I realize that it isn't 100% accurate but, when combined with those other sources holds up fairly well. And no, it sure isn't a resto guide by any means.
Old April 16th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Randy C.

I agree in that I would not call it a restoration guide but that it does have a lot of good info and detail regarding the things I have researched, or have questions about, with my '68 and '69 4-4-2s.

Randy C.
Old April 16th, 2011, 01:11 PM

I like the book, not perfect but a pretty darn good quick reference and as others have said how many other Olds books are out there.
Old April 16th, 2011, 06:32 PM
70 Cutlass SX

I want to thank all of you guys for your input, and the interesting discussion. In consideration, I think I will pick the book up since I am a bit fanatical about getting as much information as possible from as many sources as possible.
There was a reference aove to Walter Miller - who is he?
Old April 16th, 2011, 08:59 PM

You can try this site for some neat info:

http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...=9900334159517
Old April 17th, 2011, 06:00 AM
Oldsdruid

Miller is a BIG automotive literature dealer. He can be a little expensive sometimes but has some pretty rare and obscure factory paper. Deals only in original stuff, no reprints or copies. www.autolit.com

For Oldsmobile-only literature, Bill Sandy billsandy1936@hotmail.com

Lot of general old car paper vendors here: http://oldcarnetwork.com/vendors/literature.html
Old April 17th, 2011, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by pcard
I want to thank all of you guys for your input, and the interesting discussion. In consideration, I think I will pick the book up since I am a bit fanatical about getting as much information as possible from as many sources as possible.
There was a reference aove to Walter Miller - who is he?

Ill sell you my brand new copy. PM me if interested.
Old April 17th, 2011, 09:42 AM

The parts books and parts illustration books from GMPD are good references. The illustration (loose leaf) book has HP and torque curves in it for the years it covers.
Old April 17th, 2011, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Diego
You can try this site for some neat info:

http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...=9900334159517
Diego's CORRECT - you can find most all of the technical data you can comprehend in the Olds Performance Club section of Wild About Cars at http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...=9900334159517
Old April 17th, 2011, 07:19 PM
70 Cutlass SX

To All - thanks very much - great references!
Old April 18th, 2011, 06:53 PM
70 Cutlass SX

Torque Curve 1970 Cutlass Engines

Hey - I emailed the Gm Heritage archive Sunday night and Christo Datini sent me three pdfs of torque curves for 1970. I must say that was a fantastic response - I will be most definitley be making a contribution to them.
Anyway - if anyone is interested message me and I will email them to you - they are too big to upload here.
Old April 19th, 2011, 05:57 AM

My experience with Christo has been great.
Old April 19th, 2011, 02:06 PM
45 yrs of Olds Nuttiness

Regarding those HP an torque curves, we have those posted from 1966-1972 at Wild About Cars at this location. http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...=9990359910558 This is in the "Factory Specifications" section along with AMA Spec Sheets. Just go to the year you are interested in, click on the AMA or HP topic and download the info. They are PDF files so you can download them any time you want. They have been cleaned up, so they will print out very nicely on paper.

We will be loading more different types of Factory compiled specs in this area. We have a "Tech Pages" section where others have compiled specifications, which of course, is part of the topic here. Researchers do their best when they do one of these books, but there is always a chance for error. All these books are good reference, but, of course, the stuff from the Factory is better.

We have a "Factory Bulletins" section where we are starting to load Marketing Bulletins, New Car Merchandising Bulletins, Service Bulletins, and Service Guild Training Manuals. These are an excellent source for all the stuff that didn't make the Chassis Service Manual and for options that were released after all the initial brochures and salesman's books were issued. You can find that at http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...=9970334269895.

And yes, we will be loading the salesman's guides and their big sales books too.

Bob

Last edited by jrzybob442; April 19th, 2011 at 02:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Old April 19th, 2011, 03:36 PM

Awesome information. A wealth of knowledge. Thanks for sharing.
Old October 22nd, 2014, 10:16 AM

Patrick Sullivan

Would anyone happen to have contact information for Patrick Sullivan? If so, please send me a pm. Thank you, Greg
Old October 22nd, 2014, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by jrzybob442
Regarding those HP an torque curves, we have those posted from 1966-1972 at Wild About Cars at this location. http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...=9990359910558 This is in the "Factory Specifications" section along with AMA Spec Sheets. Just go to the year you are interested in, click on the AMA or HP topic and download the info. They are PDF files so you can download them any time you want. They have been cleaned up, so they will print out very nicely on paper.

We will be loading more different types of Factory compiled specs in this area. We have a "Tech Pages" section where others have compiled specifications, which of course, is part of the topic here. Researchers do their best when they do one of these books, but there is always a chance for error. All these books are good reference, but, of course, the stuff from the Factory is better.

We have a "Factory Bulletins" section where we are starting to load Marketing Bulletins, New Car Merchandising Bulletins, Service Bulletins, and Service Guild Training Manuals. These are an excellent source for all the stuff that didn't make the Chassis Service Manual and for options that were released after all the initial brochures and salesman's books were issued. You can find that at http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...=9970334269895.

And yes, we will be loading the salesman's guides and their big sales books too.

Bob
And charging money for it.
Old October 22nd, 2014, 12:14 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by Diego
Then again, when was the last time you saw an Oldsmobile book being written?

I think a caption of a '69 calling it a '71 is quite bad. And the level of knowledge has increased a lot more since it was written. A hobbyist looking for good info would be better served to bookmarking a few *good* webpages, but it's a nice addition to an Olds fan's library.
Authentication guide soon!!!!!!!