General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Olds Hemi

Search this Thread

Old January 20th, 2014 | 08:35 AM

Olds Hemi

Always see pics of this experimental motor but few articles or write ups. How many were actually produced and how close did they ever get to production? Do any of them still exist today? Oh and I do know "hemi" is incorrect. I think it was called a "pent roof"
Attached Images
File Type: png
Olds hemi.png (29.6 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by The Bug Man; January 20th, 2014 at 09:10 AM.
Old January 20th, 2014 | 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by The Bug Man
Always see pics of this experimental motor but few articles or write ups. How many were actually produced and how close did they ever get to production? Do any of them still exist today?

I have heard a collector down south has one . Far as how many made not sure
Guys such as David bunch or Kurt shubert may know .
Dave use to work in Lansing and Kurt is very knowledgeable as well Joe padavano.
I would email any one of them
Old January 20th, 2014 | 09:18 AM

Almost forgot another excellent source on olds hemi is WIld ABout Cars site. Check it out great Olds info on there
Dean
Old January 20th, 2014 | 10:05 AM
Old(s) Fart

Always see pics of this experimental motor but few articles or write ups. How many were actually produced and how close did they ever get to production? Do any of them still exist today? Oh and I do know "hemi" is incorrect. I think it was called a "pent roof"
The W-43 and OW-43 were documented in an extensive article in the May 1971 issue of Hot Rod Magazine. WAC has a complete copy of the article on their site.

Old January 20th, 2014 | 03:56 PM

Despite the plug location the engine does not have hemispherical combustion chambers. To call it a 'Hemi' is a misnomer.
Old January 21st, 2014 | 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by mmurphy77
Despite the plug location the engine does not have hemispherical combustion chambers. To call it a 'Hemi' is a misnomer.

Yeah wasn't the correct term used "pent roof" or something similar? Thanks for all the info guys
What a shame it never made it to production. Makes you wonder what a 1971 W43 would bring today????

Last edited by The Bug Man; January 21st, 2014 at 07:44 AM.
Old January 21st, 2014 | 08:28 AM
Trying to remember member

Yeah wasn't the correct term used "pent roof" or something similar? Thanks for all the info guys
What a shame it never made it to production. Makes you wonder what a 1971 W43 would bring today????
Pent-roof it is, and you can clearly see that in the cutaway above. "Misnomer" is putting it mildly. You would not be able to make a 4-valve per cylinder hemi.
Old January 21st, 2014 | 08:37 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by wmachine
You would not be able to make a 4-valve per cylinder hemi.
Technically, you could, but it would require each valve to be at a different angle from the others. This would take "canted valve heads" to a whole new level.
Old January 21st, 2014 | 09:04 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Technically, you could, but it would require each valve to be at a different angle from the others. This would take "canted valve heads" to a whole new level.
That's my point. I'd say "theoretically" you could, "tecnically" you can't. You wouldn't be able to make it work.
Bottom line is you will never see one.
Old January 21st, 2014 | 09:46 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by wmachine
That's my point. I'd say "theoretically" you could, "tecnically" you can't. You wouldn't be able to make it work.
Bottom line is you will never see one.
Just a minor disagreement in semantics. I would argue that "technically", you CAN build one, but it wouldn't be practical. It would require separate lifters and pushrods for each valve, but if a BBC can have canted valves, there's no physical reason why you couldn't build four canted valves per cylinder. Would that be practical or cost effective? No, but it isn't physically impossible. I agree that you'll never see one.

The valve train would be far more complex than even this one:

Old January 21st, 2014 | 10:07 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
... you'll never see one.
UNLESS electromechanical or hydraulic servo technology advances to the point where size vs force ratios are favorable.

Of course, I'm not holding my breath...

- Eric