General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Odd letter from a used car dealer

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2013 | 05:42 PM

Question Odd letter from a used car dealer

Maybe some of you in the used car biz can give some insight...
My lady friend got this letter from a dealer she bought her last car from. She paid it off last year and had no issues with them.
I know the GPS is used to locate the car should the buyer not pay and try to run, but what good is it afterwards other than for locating the car if it is stolen? There is no screen or interface or anything usable.
The dealer was trying hard to get in touch with her and also sent a SASE to mail this back in, so I wonder if they are in it for the data, or some other big gain of theirs.
Whachall think?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_4531.jpg (34.6 KB, 313 views)
Old January 24th, 2013 | 05:47 PM
Always room for one more

Rob I've never heard of this. Was the GPS installed by the dealer? Was it a buy here/pay here? It sounds to me like they are going to keep the tracking thing working and just won't tell you if you don't send the letter back.
Old January 24th, 2013 | 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Was the GPS installed by the dealer? Was it a buy here/pay here?
Yes to the first ? and "most likely" for the second. The owner of the car lot is the husband of one of her girlfriends, so there was never any sly dealings or anything. She paid it off in a year or less.
The car is a cheapie which does not have any nav stuff installed in it.
Old January 24th, 2013 | 06:25 PM

I agree with Mike. IT sounds like a scam. I would disable it.
Old January 24th, 2013 | 06:25 PM
"Car"mudgeon

I'd say they want their hardware back so they can put it on another car. Probably cost them around $80 a piece plus installation. However unless it is in the purchase agreement to return it, she shouldn't be liable for returning it. Legally if it is on the car at purchase it is hers, but who wants a stranger tracking them?
Old January 24th, 2013 | 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by GAOldsman
I'd say they want their hardware back so they can put it on another car. Probably cost them around $80 a piece plus installation. However unless it is in the purchase agreement to return it, she shouldn't be liable for returning it. Legally if it is on the car at purchase it is hers, but who wants a stranger tracking them?
My guess too. Maybe they think that the letter will drive customers who want it removed back to the dealer...who will be happy to remove it and get their device back....
Old January 24th, 2013 | 06:38 PM

I can see them wanting it back, but the opposite is occurring.
They WANT her to keep it and they want to keep paying the access fees on it.
I plan to call the dealer on her behalf to inquire but want to get some other opinions before then.
Old January 24th, 2013 | 08:07 PM

I would decline on the GPS.. have the deealer remove it and take possesion of the unit if that is a option, big brother tracking my every move. na I don't like it, make sure she has insurance coverage in case the car get stolen JMO
Old January 24th, 2013 | 10:22 PM

I wouldn't leave a GPS device in my car. Once she paid the car off it became hers. Maybe you could find the device for her and remove it. I would just throw it away.
Old January 24th, 2013 | 10:24 PM
Old(s) Fart

This is why I don't even want OnStar. The tracking capability in by cell phone is bad enough.
Old January 24th, 2013 | 10:58 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Also keep in mind that these are now installed in all fleet vehicles for companies you may be employed by.
Companies can receive instant email notifications if you are driving over posted speed limits. They also get a detailed list of all addresses you stop at and for how long so that they may better count their beans.
So, no liquor stores or strip clubs on the way home, boys.
Old January 24th, 2013 | 11:15 PM

I wouldn't want that in my car. In fact this really makes me question buying a new car. So many electronics to it, I wouldn't be suprised if a tracking device was embedded in the car somewhere.
Old January 25th, 2013 | 04:24 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by joe_padavano

This is why I don't even want OnStar. The tracking capability in by cell phone is bad enough.
True story: A few weeks ago a lady came in swearing her Equinox remote started by it self in the garage while she was at the kitchen table and her keys were in her purse. After a little looking in to it Onstar was pinging the car for the routine update they do. Woopsy we pushed the wrong button bad.
Old January 25th, 2013 | 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by 1970supremevert
I would decline on the GPS.. ...
Originally Posted by Olds64
I wouldn't leave a GPS device in my car. .....
Originally Posted by joe_padavano

Originally Posted by Rob delta
I wouldn't want that in my car. ...
I think the dealer is betting on this setiment to get their devices back. The letter seems like an offer, but is actually alerting the owners to the device. The dealer hopes the owners will come back to have it removed.

Smart marketing on the dealer's part....

I wonder if you decline their 'free' offer and ask that they remove it, how much do they charge for the removal ??!!

Last edited by Indy_68_S; January 25th, 2013 at 06:02 AM.
Old January 25th, 2013 | 06:11 AM
Cutlass Lover

I don't think I'd want it in my car. I'd get my own GPS. They make it sound like a nice happy little thing to do for the customer though, don't they? That's what is happening with the insurance companies now.... I'm sure you've seen the Progressive Ins. ads on TV where they want you to install that little camera to 'save you money'. Well... State Farm is doing the same thing now too. Got a letter from them wanting to know if I'd be interested. What they don't tell you is they know what the speed limits are in the area you're driving in, how the traffic is, etc...... they're recording if you happen to speed a little, or swerve or something. My driving habits are nobody's business. Pretty soon our lives are going to be an open book to everyone, lol. It's getting down right scary some of the things others know about us already.....
Old January 25th, 2013 | 06:23 AM
Lansing built

It could be just a straight out marketing ploy, the dealer maybe selling the tracking info to the local marketing agency in turn they sell the info to the local food stores, dealerships and malls that you frequent or go by every day so they can focus their advertising dollars?

Pat
Old January 25th, 2013 | 06:34 AM

Wow, there are a lot of paranoid people out there. If they wouldn't have sent the letter she would have never known it was there so I doubt there is anything fishy going on. If they want her to keep it at no cost to her than why not? If her car is ever stolen they would be able to find it for her. A friend of mine just had her purse stolen on New Years eve, thanks to the ability to track her cell phone they were able to find out where it was and send the police to get her purse and phone back. I get the whole privacy thing but they have been up front with her so I guess I wouldn't be offended by it.

Last edited by Finn5033; January 25th, 2013 at 06:50 AM.
Old January 25th, 2013 | 06:39 AM
Administrator

It's from a note lot, the GPS is used to track the car for repo purposes in case of default. It's a privacy thing and they don't have any reason to leave it on there without your knowlege or agreement. Some of these have a remote cutoff that can disable your vehicle and prevent you from driving. Also it's another way for them to contact you and maintain a relationship for further sales.
Old January 25th, 2013 | 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Finn5033
Wow, there are a lot of paranoid people out there...
That's what they're counting on...

Originally Posted by Finn5033
If they wouldn't have sent the letter she would have never known ....
...and they wouldn't get their device$ back....!

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
...It's a privacy thing and they don't have any reason to leave it on there without your knowlege or agreement......
That's a good point. Although it appears as a 'free offer', there may be some legal reason for the letter. Maybe getting people to sign off on it satisfies their legal 'duty to notify'....
Old January 26th, 2013 | 11:34 AM

Thanks for all the responses!
I do think they are going to track her and use the data to her advantage somehow.
If they wanted the device back, there are much more efficent ways to communicate that.
I will call them and see what THEY say..
Old January 26th, 2013 | 12:02 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hmmm
Rob, I read that letter and it's pretty clear they say she "knew the vehicle had a GPS tracking device installed". So what's the big deal? If she wants it removed or left I think it's up to her. I for one could care less if she drives to Walmart every second Tuesday and would not pay $$ to find out. On the other hand it could be very handy if her car is stolen or she decides to 'loan it' out to a family member.....

I think this whole thing is moot. There was full disclosure on the dealer's end.
Old January 28th, 2013 | 05:52 PM

WOW, I can't believe the technology thats out there now. I also don't want a gps device following my every move. I work for a local utility company and I am followed in their vehicle but thats when i'm on their time. By the way finn I'm not paranoid it just that someone is always out to get me......
Old January 28th, 2013 | 06:53 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
WOW, I can't believe the technology thats out there now. I also don't want a gps device following my every move.
You know there's GPS in your cell phone right?
Old January 28th, 2013 | 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Hmmm
Rob, I read that letter and it's pretty clear they say she "knew the vehicle had a GPS tracking device installed". So what's the big deal? If she wants it removed or left I think it's up to her. I for one could care less if she drives to Walmart every second Tuesday and would not pay $$ to find out. On the other hand it could be very handy if her car is stolen or she decides to 'loan it' out to a family member.....

I think this whole thing is moot. There was full disclosure on the dealer's end.
We both knew about the device at the very beginning and we knew why it was there. No big deal.

What I was asking is:
Now that she had paid it off, why they would be so interested in her keeping it on the vehicle and they keep paying the access fees for her? After two letters, several phone calls, and a postage paid envelope for her to give her consent, they are begging it. I just smell something fishy about that.
Old January 28th, 2013 | 07:03 PM
70 Cutlass SX

Hey Rob - then again it may be something very innocent.
I put a Progressive device in my car - I kind of like to see my wife's driving habits!! Also saved me about $400 a year in insurance. I do not care if they know where I am going. Someone already knows every time I buy gas in the US, or go through EasyPass.
In Bermuda you cannot go anywhere without someone you know tagging you.
If you live in the UK you cannot go anywhere without being on video. In the US your phones are all monitored by Big Brother. Sooner of later 1984 will become reality.

Last edited by pcard; January 28th, 2013 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old January 28th, 2013 | 07:09 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Rob,
It looks like a standard form letter. I wouldn't read too much into it. You can always disable/remove it if you feel they would be unscrupulous but like you I have no idea why they would pay to maintain that feature unless they're hoping to gain customer loyalty?

Could be wrong, but if your lady friend didn't reply and the dealership did keep tabs of her through the GPS I think she would have an excellent case for an invasion of privacy lawsuit. Was there an agreement in the Bill of Sale that stipulated the GPS would be discontinued by the Dealer after the car was paid off?

Might be just a really good idea to go to the dealer and bring up the concerns in person. Rather than us speculating on what the motive or intent, just ask them.
Old January 28th, 2013 | 07:20 PM

[QUOTE=Finn5033;500952]Wow, there are a lot of paranoid people out there. [QUOTE]

just because you are paranoid doesnt mean someone is not out to get you!
Old January 28th, 2013 | 07:32 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
After two letters, several phone calls, and a postage paid envelope for her to give her consent, they are begging it.
I've been keeping my mouth shut because I had nothing new to add (also because I wanted to avoid the risk of turning this political and making Rob have to lock his own thread ), but I just want to clarify:

Rob, you're saying that the company is practically begging for her to KEEP the GPS, right?

Initially, this just seemed weird, but I've got to say, with that additional piece of information, it really looks to me like there's something wrong here.

I suspect that the seller has some sort of a deal with a market research company where they link your friend's demographics with the GPS ID, and some research company pays to be able to follow her every move in order to hone their marketing.

I hate maketing, marketers, and market research, so I'd be inclined to agree to keep it, then clip it to a freight train or an 18-wheeler and watch their research go right out the window.

- Eric
Old January 29th, 2013 | 05:24 AM

I agree with MD. Companies are paying to directly target their marketing. How often do you see targeted ads on websites about things you have recently viewed or bought.
Old January 29th, 2013 | 05:36 AM
Lansing built

Finally, someones backing my statement on#16!!!!! That's why at the check out counter at the larger stores they ask for your zip or e-mail address.

I work in the retail market and advertising is a big bite in the butt, so you try these things by not wasting time or money. Not to defend GPS tracking.
On the consumer end you can always say no I don't want you to have my information!

Pat
Old January 29th, 2013 | 05:49 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Just to clarify my point:

I'm not saying that the presumed marketing company wants to know where she, herself, personally goes, or that they have anything to do with any of the local businesses and places she may drive to - I would say that it's probably bigger than that - they want to use her general information: age, sex, address, income, credit score, and anything else that the car company collected, in order to make some sort of an overreaching data model of the minute by minute behavior of all Americans, as broken down by any demographic detail you could imagine, to combine that with other huge data sets, and then to use that information to help in billboard placement, automotive design, the timing of marketing robo-calls at home, just about anything you can imagine.

Think big.

- Eric
Old January 29th, 2013 | 04:23 PM

@Rob, I took the liberty of finding some information on this dealer (used to live in Irving, thought the dealer name sounded familiar.) Let's just say this is not the McDavid Auto Group we are talking about. I would be concerned...I will leave it at that.

Speaking for myself, I would have them remove the device. I don't care what they say about how much data is collected, who 'owns' it or where it is going. They collect everything and dump it into a database. Somehow this 'free' item strikes me as wrong. It may be 'free' until you need to use it in case of auto theft, at which time I suspect this service is no longer 'free' when you actually need it. I can't even get into other nefarious that are possible with having a device like that in a car. I think that if I needed something to track a car in case of theft I would get LoJack, at least you know you are dealing with a reputable company (A+ from BBB)

My dad put that stupid Progressive thing in his car against my better judgement. My insurance company has not offered this yet, but it is a matter of time. I will decline this 'bug' not caring how much 'savings' I get.

I don't want any insurance company knowing anything and give them an excuse to not pay, i.e. 'you were going 72 in a posted 65 2-months ago, therefore you are an unsafe driver' without knowing the circumstances as to why I was going 72. Maybe I was in a hurry (not completely safe) or I was trying to outrun a tractor trailer with no brakes on a 2-lane road! (saving my butt at least) I call BS on that!

Axiom: Insurance is legalized extortion.

Noli sinere te ab improbis opprimi!