General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

OCA Nationals trip from hell

Search this Thread

Old July 19th, 2009, 04:03 AM

OCA Nationals trip from hell

the drive up was fine, got to Seven Springs Friday, and rained hard (good to meet you Guy) Now am sitting in Breezewood, PA with a blown waterpump on the 75 88. I got real lucky and caught it very early on the turnpike but will not have the part till this afternoon.
Old July 19th, 2009, 04:46 AM
Banned

glad you caught it quick.

i dont know why but it seems Olds pumps like to puke
Old July 19th, 2009, 04:48 AM

hard to keep track but I think I replaced it 15k miles ago, and according to the shop, it is OLDS only, other 350 will not fit mounting bolts
Old July 19th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Oldsdruid

Now see, had it happened on the way TO Seven Springs, you could have put in for the hard luck award .

As it is, I think one of the guys from Oldspower may have it. He got a $150 ticket on the way in from Pittsburgh Friday morning trying to get the car on the field in time for judging.
Old July 19th, 2009, 07:31 AM

never woulda happened with Joe's Toro right?
Old July 19th, 2009, 06:21 PM

Jeff - Great to meet you too!
Sorry you had a problem.

We missed you the rest of the day on Friday - It would have been nice to have company while wiping my 75 Friday afternoon.

Donna says Hi too.

We'll be in touch!

GUY
Old July 19th, 2009, 06:32 PM

hi Guy, could have been worse... 24 hrs and $220, not bad. Got down to Skyline Drive for an hour or so, saw deer, bears, and just checked in to crash. TTYS
Old July 19th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by jeffreyalman
hi Guy, could have been worse... 24 hrs and $220, not bad. Got down to Skyline Drive for an hour or so, saw deer, bears, and just checked in to crash. TTYS
Hey Jeff. at least you're making the best of it! I hope this doesn't discourage you for next year!
Old July 20th, 2009, 03:21 PM
SMR TOI & HYE NRG

hey Jeff! it's Nikki (your "neighbour" from Deerbourne Nationals!)
sorry to hear about your luck hope things r better now!
Old July 21st, 2009, 05:47 PM

hey Nikki good to see you Friday, thanks for saying hi...

just got home can't wait to crawl into bed
Old July 21st, 2009, 05:53 PM

could always be worse, Good Luck safe trip Home.
Old May 15th, 2010, 12:54 PM

Went to the Nats at Seven Springs also, but I'm giving up on them! When I got my judging sheet I found that deductions were taken for no T3's (My car has the original headlights and they are T3's)...Wrong engine color (Never repainted, just cleaned up. I guess they aren't used to seeing that 350 "mustard" color).....and deductions for all 5 tires (presumably because my "Eagle ST's" were radials) My biggest mistake, however, was going to the Awards Banquet. Apparently recognition is given only to "Best In Class" winners. First, Second & Thirds have theirs handed out beforehand like dash plaques and then are checked off a list. The point spread for First ranges from 300-400 so almost everyone gets a First! Like I said...Dash Plaques! And I drove 400 miles for that? Never again!
Old May 15th, 2010, 12:58 PM

yeah I am done too, I actually compared the judging sheet to prior years and it is very inconsistent. I love my cars, just how they are, and enjoy them, gonna be show only from now on, and Mass is just too far these days (from Miami)
Old May 15th, 2010, 01:54 PM
SMR TOI & HYE NRG

just a thought, guys .. but would you consider going to the Nationals to see the other cars? and meet up with friends? (Olds, and new <-- hahaaa).
Judging is only part of the experience, isn't it?
Maybe I'm off the mark here.
This message is not meant to be insulting, so pls don't take it that way. I'm just curious because u said u "never again".
Like Jeffery says .. "show Only" .. so we can still enjoy your cars, even if the judges don't.
Old May 15th, 2010, 01:59 PM

hey Nikki was just thinking about you! yes for sure I would, even be on the show field (next to you again I would hope) just too far this year. I was (am) comtemplating going to Lansing for Homecoming (can not make it due to co-worker's vaca) but now considering NAOC meet in Lansing but just so far and my big-boned gals have quite an appetite
Old May 15th, 2010, 02:06 PM
SMR TOI & HYE NRG

I hear all that, Jeffery. I'd LOVE to go to this year's Nationals. fingers crossed.
Homecoming is always fun! Have you ever been out to Woodward??
I hope Fla is treating u well, in the meantime.
Old May 15th, 2010, 02:16 PM

Woodward as in Ave? no, I am not great with crowds and congestion, rather prefer wide open spaces - desolate highway works best for me I went to Atlanta last month for a great BOPC pics here and Tampa (Oldsmar) the month before pics here. I guess I will hang here in S Florida this summer (will visit a friend from TX in Orlando at the end of the month) and then it is OCF BOPC in Orlando in October

The main beef I have with the shows and judging is all the work. If I am on vacation for a week I am literally living out of my car (you can do that in a full size ) and it is just too much work to empty it all out and set it all up again for cruising.

The judges will now get a good look at my stuff

Old May 15th, 2010, 02:21 PM

Jeffery,

I think you jes like driv'in in de monsoons
Old May 15th, 2010, 05:52 PM

I don't go just for the judging! I love taking pictures of every car on the show field. In fact I have many thousands of pictures categorized by make, model & year, all in cronogical order and spread over 35 albums (so far) Really keeps me busy all day at the shows. It's just that I can't see them selecting a certain car as the best while force fitting the others so that they don't measure up. If they say somethings wrong I'll correct it, but don't keep skipping around to find other faults each time. Hey these guys are supposed to know Oldsmobiles! Ok, back to the pictures. Link below if you haven't already seen them.

http://s916.photobucket.com/albums/a...ionals%202009/
Old May 15th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Oldsdruid

Hoo boy. Don't get me started on Seven Springs judging again. That's why some of us have been trying to get formal judges' training started, so people will KNOW what they are looking at. Uninformed judges lacking in knowledge about the carlines they're judging have no place at a National Meet.

However, since I purposely did not vote in this year's OCA elections (ballots were due today), I guess I have no room to say anything, do I?
Old May 16th, 2010, 12:21 AM

I am so naive sometimes. When I was @Bowling Green in 2007 there was a trailer outside my hotel window for hours with what looked like a 69 442 1/2 way down the ramps. I started chatting with these guys who were restorers from CO and were there with their customer's car to enter and win and add value to the car.

The owner not only was not there, but had never seen the car!

I say naive because obviously my cars' value's are in the pleasure I get, not the $$$

I forget that is not always the case - I like motoring, sometimes just sitting at home looking

And yes Jamesbo I love driving in monsoons!
Old May 18th, 2010, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by BOOWAH
I don't go just for the judging! I love taking pictures of every car on the show field. In fact I have many thousands of pictures categorized by make, model & year, all in cronogical order and spread over 35 albums (so far) Really keeps me busy all day at the shows. It's just that I can't see them selecting a certain car as the best while force fitting the others so that they don't measure up. If they say somethings wrong I'll correct it, but don't keep skipping around to find other faults each time. Hey these guys are supposed to know Oldsmobiles! Ok, back to the pictures. Link below if you haven't already seen them.

http://s916.photobucket.com/albums/a...ionals%202009/
Where are the other albums you speak of? Id love to see them.
Old May 18th, 2010, 10:38 AM

Photo Albums

I just went digital 2 years ago. Since that time I've been putting them on my computer. Takes too much time to scan all the negatives of the rest in. Maybe next winter. Still, they want you to pay for extra storage space beyond the free allotment in order to post them. So far I'm under, but I've got most of the digitial images on Webshots. I'll post the link below:

http://community.webshots.com/user/BOOWAH1
Old May 29th, 2010, 06:37 AM
SMR TOI & HYE NRG

thanks, Boowah!
it seems like maybe those photo albums might become something Important in the History of the Oldsmobile!!! take care of those pix, and .. keep shooting!
I agree, too, judging is a challenging topic. It's tough, for us (OCC) as we rely on volunteers to help get us through Judging day. The committee works hard to partner a knowledgable judge with someone with less experience.
I think the can of worms is open ...
sorry to fall off topic, Boys! off to enjoy the sunny day!