General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Nationals road trip

Search this Thread

Old June 19th, 2009, 03:35 PM

Nationals road trip

has anyone driven Skyline Drive? I plan on driving up to Seven Springs from Florida via 95 / 77 / 79 / 70 / 76 but after a few days in Pittsburgh visiting friends, I will have 3 days to get home, and want to drive Skyline Drive.

Looking for the best way to go but no idea.

Any suggestions appreciated.

thanks, see ya at Seven Springs!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P7290023a.JPG (87.5 KB, 5 views)
Old June 19th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Banned

do you mean the blue ridge parkway?

there is a big valley near danbury nc on st rt 89 way up in the mountains where you can watch fighter jets practice maneuvers,and maybe youll get buzzed.
Old June 19th, 2009, 06:38 PM

Maybe this website will help:
http://www.blueridgeskyline.com/index.php
Old June 19th, 2009, 06:49 PM

That looks pretty cool. I haven't been on any of that on the Virginia side, though I've ridden most of the NC side at least once. I might need some suspension work before the Cutlass gets to go on that trip.
Old June 19th, 2009, 08:52 PM
2 '66 98's

The Blue Ridge Parkway begins in NC and runs up into VA to Waynesboro. There the Skyline Drive begins and continues north to Front Royal. They are very similar in terms of road width, hills, curves, views, etc. I traveled most of both on my return trip from Bowling Green. It is fairly slow traveling if you are used to making good time on a long haul. The good part is - you cross many good jumping off places if you decide you have had enough site seeing and need to get on down the road. Enjoy!!
Old June 20th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Oldsdruid

If you're after staying off Interstates as much as possible, when you leave Seven Springs, cut thru the secondary roads to get on I68-US40 East near Cumberland MD. Then pick up US 522 South at Hancock MD. This will take you to Winchester VA (Patsy Cline and Civil War territory) and on to Front Royal where you can pick up Skyline. From there any non-Interstate route down the Shenandoah Valley is a pleasant top-down drive, and not so far off I81 you can't grab it and haul *** (on that road you almost have to actually, which is a reason I avoid it). Plenty within a few miles of the Parkway to stop and investigate too, like Luray Caverns, New Market Battlefield, Lexington/VMI/Natural Bridge, the National D-Day Memorial and more.

We have to go to Pittsburgh on work business once in a while and have found the 522 route works well, though we pick up I70 to PA Turnpike at Hancock. I've found I can drive it and get there in about the same time the guys who fly out of RDU airport do, time they've driven to Raleigh, fooled with security and boarding, and then picked up the rental car at Pittsburgh.

On your way up I77, near the VA-NC border there's a section of road where the wind literally roars and there's enough headwind you will feel your car slowing down.

Enjoy the ride!
Old June 20th, 2009, 12:14 PM

Although I've driven it many times, I can't remember .............are trailers allowed on the Blue Ridge Pky? I know no large trucks are allowed [which is nice]