General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

OCA judging guidelines

Search this Thread

Old August 7th, 2009, 05:34 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by bigoldscruiser
I say "Accept the judging for what it is". Since most of the judges are volunteering when a lot of knowledgeable people are sitting on the sidelines, we should be thankful for the job they do. I certainly wouldn't expect them to study, study, study just to make a few people a little happier. What we don't want is to end up like NCRS or MCA where everything is picky, picky, picky. When that happens, 75% of the show cars drop out and the real reason for being there is lost. It is all about "having fun". I go for the enjoyment and what the car gets is secondary. It doesn't change the way I feel about my cars! Lighten up!!
Sorry, I can't and won't "lighten up" about this. If you know me, you know that I am very much appreciative of the judges and their time and effort. They are doing the best they can under the circumstances. I thank them all. The problem is the circumstances. It's not about the judges, and who gets what trophies. Its about the knowledge base of Oldsmobiles. Without this knowledge base (standards being established), the "preservation" that OCA claims as a mission is not going to happen.
And if you know me, you know that I treasure the Olds people I know, and enjoy all the other aspects of the Nationals.
If it isn't up to OCA to capture and preserve the knowledge base of Oldsmobiles, who is going to do it? I'd hate to see OCA become just a social club.
Sometimes there are tough questions to be asked, and difficult situations need to be addressed. Please don't mistake my constructive criticism for generic whining.

Last edited by wmachine; August 7th, 2009 at 05:37 AM.
Old August 7th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by wmachine
Sorry, I can't and won't "lighten up" about this.
I have to agree with Kurt here. Totally stock classes should be judged appropriately so that there is a preservation of how these cars were originally. The street stock and modified classes are available if one does not want to have a paint dab and chalk mark restoration. The stock classes should not be a popularity contest. If judging standards slip, then the situation becomes like youth sports, where EVERYONE gets a trophy just for showing up.
Old August 7th, 2009, 08:32 AM

OCA Judging Guidelines

The reason I asked about deductions for radial tires is that I want to know if it was being enforced uniformly. I saw cars in the Senior Class with radials. I had a score of 960. The tire deduction, including spare, cost me the points I needed for Senior and possibly competing for BOC. I drove 280 miles to the show & I'm not a trailer queen. That's why the radials.