General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Now how does the childrens song go, one of these things is not like the other!

Search this Thread

Old November 22nd, 2012, 01:16 PM

Now how does the childrens song go, one of these things is not like the other!

PB221508.jpg

In the last few weeks I've found two core 455's on Craigslist from boats. The first was a 1973 engine with J heads. This one is from a 1969 Toro and still has most of the Toro stuff with it. I picked it up last Sunday afternoon but just now had time to mess with it. When I showed up he had it out in the driveway with no carb and it was raining... so I decided to pull the heads and clean out any water on the pistons. Good thing as 4 of them had puddles on them.

PB221502.jpg

I got the intake off OK and found a large clump of crusty burnt oil under the center of the turkey tray.

PB221503.jpg

Then when I was removing the head bolts on the first head I came across one that was too small for the 11/16 socket

PB221508.jpg

The odd bolt also only had one or two turns holding it on....

But the pistons look OK, not much carbon build up on them. It also has the metal head gaskets on it so this may be the first time it's been apart. I wonder how long that odd bolt was in the head! It looks like an engine mount or maybe suspension bolt.

PB221506.jpg

I will have to wait until later to pull the bottom end. My extended family is having Thanksgiving dinner this afternoon and I'll need to clean up soon. The person I bought it from said it ran strong but had a knock, that's why he pulled it. I don't think I've ever sold anything on Craigslist but sure have found some interesting items there
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PB221508.jpg (130.4 KB, 0 views)
Old November 22nd, 2012, 04:49 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 2blu442
It looks like an engine mount or maybe suspension bolt.
I'm going to say it's a motor mount cross bolt. The tapered end and the lack of a larger diameter section directly under the head would be the indicators.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Motor mount or control arm bolt.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 05:01 PM
STOP call'n it a Chevelle

Same thread line, different picture. Taken at my son's elementary school at pickup time.

Which one of these is not like the other. I love the fall we are having. 14c on Nov 23. Still cruising weather.

Adam
Old November 23rd, 2012, 05:08 PM

Nice picture Adam. At least you'll never lose your car in a shopping center parking lot

Hummm, the color of this engine looks very close to the color of your car!

John
Old November 23rd, 2012, 05:42 PM

Hey John, You got any 67 12 bolt rearends with 3:90 91 gears? I have a guy looking if you have it I will just pass him on to you.

Larry
Redmond, OR
Old November 23rd, 2012, 05:43 PM

Nice picture Adam. At least you'll never lose your car in a shopping center parking lot

Hummm, the color of this engine looks very close to the color of your car!
Millie stands out pretty much anywhere compared to the new crowd. Your are right about the similar color. Once you are finished rebuilding that 455, ship it my way and it will fit right in.

Adam
Old November 23rd, 2012, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by lemoldsnut
Hey John, You got any 67 12 bolt rearends with 3:90 91 gears? I have a guy looking if you have it I will just pass him on to you.

Larry
Redmond, OR
Hi Larry
Sorry, I don't. I've got several extra rear ends but all have highway gears.

John
Old November 23rd, 2012, 05:45 PM

Ok If you run across some let me know. I am in the same position. Thanks
Old November 23rd, 2012, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by arodenhiser
Millie stands out pretty much anywhere compared to the new crowd. Your are right about the similar color. Once you are finished rebuilding that 455, ship it my way and it will fit right in.

Adam
I bet you'd have to take out a loan just to cover the shipping

John
Old November 23rd, 2012, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by lemoldsnut
Ok If you run across some let me know. I am in the same position. Thanks
I don't know if he'd want to part with it, but 1966 442 (also named Larry) has a 3.90 open rear under his car. He's looking to put a posi in it and he was considering a 1971-72 Cutlass 8.5 inch.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...phase-2-a.html

John
Old November 23rd, 2012, 06:00 PM

Found a interesting and cheaper way to ship this week. Fastenal has their own shipping logistics and if you take a part to them even like a motor they will ship it to a store in the area of the recipeint and they will call when it arrives. If it is the right store they will have a forklift and can load/unload it there at a fraction of using like an LTL company. Thought I would pass that on.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 06:07 PM

I haven't used Fastenal yet, but a couple members here have. One member even said he negotiated a lower price than the initial quote.

Adam, if I remember right you were looking for a 455 a while back. Did you ever find one?

John
Old November 23rd, 2012, 06:38 PM

I haven't used Fastenal yet...... .......Adam, if I remember right you were looking for a 455 a while back. Did you ever find one?
There is a Fastenal location 15-20 minutes from my house too. I am still on the hunt, life has a habit messing with plans. A 455 is on my bucket, or my car's bucket list. I am keeping an eye open for one but I don't have deep pockets.

My wife and I just had our second son in October so the cash flow has slightly different priorities. I am also quite happy with my slightly upgraded 350. I have a few more important projectes for Millie before the time/money bank is ready for a 455.

I have new carpet, upolstery and door panels from ledgendary to put in this winter. I have a set of proper 68

buckets I am redoing to replace the Mop*r buckets that in her now. I am putting a together a small list of odds and ends for you to source so I will be writing you soon. Shipping from the US to Canada sucks so I will wait until the list is ready.

Sorry to hi-jack your thread so much.

Adam
Old November 23rd, 2012, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by arodenhiser
There is a Fastenal location 15-20 minutes from my house too. I am still on the hunt, life has a habit messing with plans. A 455 is on my bucket, or my car's bucket list. I am keeping an eye open for one but I don't have deep pockets.

My wife and I just had our second son in October so the cash flow has slightly different priorities. I am also quite happy with my slightly upgraded 350. I have a few more important projectes for Millie before the time/money bank is ready for a 455.

I have new carpet, upolstery and door panels from ledgendary to put in this winter. I have a set of proper 68

buckets I am redoing to replace the Mop*r buckets that in her now. I am putting a together a small list of odds and ends for you to source so I will be writing you soon. Shipping from the US to Canada sucks so I will wait until the list is ready.

Sorry to hi-jack your thread so much.

Adam

Not a hi-jack Adam, just a fun post kinda thread. When the time comes for a big block I'll likely still have extra motors and parts. If you come up with a usable block closer to your location I would likely be able to provide the guts for a rebuild.

Congrats on getting the correct seats, I tend to like original style interior over custom ones. When you do have your list of odds and ends I'd be glad to see what I could come up with. John