General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

North Texas Zone Show - April 12-14

Search this Thread

Old April 10th, 2013, 03:10 PM

NTOC Zone Show

Originally Posted by gearheads78
Putting the finishing touches on the 68 442 "restoration" I hope to be there Saturday with a for sale sign finally.
This is my first time responding with someone else's quote. (Hope it works).

Richard,

From reading the about and seeing pics of your 68 442, it's virtually identical to the one I'm having restored. I plan to go the the show for a few hours around midday Saturday. Would like to talk with you and see your car in person if possible.

Thanks,

Tom
Old April 10th, 2013, 03:20 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by Tom Bilse
This is my first time responding with someone else's quote. (Hope it works).

Richard,

From reading the about and seeing pics of your 68 442, it's virtually identical to the one I'm having restored. I plan to go the the show for a few hours around midday Saturday. Would like to talk with you and see your car in person if possible.

Thanks,

Tom
I have all plans to be there with it most of the day Saturday. I may have to pack up a little early to be home to watch the babies early that evening becuase mamma has plans. I should be there until at least 3:00 if not later.
Old April 10th, 2013, 03:25 PM

I have all plans to be there with it most of the day Saturday. I may have to pack up a little early to be home to watch the babies early that evening becuase mamma has plans. I should be there until at least 3:00 if not later.
Excellent. Looking forward to seeing you. Thanks for the quick reply.

Tom
Old April 10th, 2013, 04:03 PM
Administrator

So far looks like a good turnout for our CO Group! Although I've already seen Rob's Mugg, I'm looking forward to putting faces to some of the names I've met here and to gawk at everyones ride.
Old April 12th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Ttt

Last update! Looks like it's going to be great weather and I'm sure some members are there already. Did a quick clean on the car, see ya's tomorrow.
Old April 12th, 2013, 03:12 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Last update! Looks like it's going to be great weather and I'm sure some members are there already. Did a quick clean on the car, see ya's tomorrow.
The patina on the 442 is shined up and ready to show off
Old April 12th, 2013, 04:35 PM
NôôB

GRRRRRRRRR, i hate this, i cant make it this year do to i lost my credit card last week and am still recovering from nose surgery.... Take lots of pictures for me please people
Old April 12th, 2013, 06:21 PM

What time will everyone make it to the show?
Old April 12th, 2013, 06:55 PM

I should be there between 11 and 12.
I only plan to stay a few hours, and still do not know if the lady friend is going.
I have an alternate homeward-bound plan to cruise east to Cedar creek lake and have lunch/dinner at a lakefront restaurant. If that does not happen, there is a car show in Murphy TX at Country burger that I might hit, also.
A busy day for sure!
Old April 12th, 2013, 08:15 PM
Administrator

I should be there early. I've got a Holley 750DP, and an original 330 points distributor with a new cap and rotor (no points or condensor) if any one needs one, that I'm bringing with me.
Old April 12th, 2013, 09:12 PM
car guy

Trailer loaded...... see yall in the morning
Old April 13th, 2013, 02:05 PM

Richard,
Nice to have met you today and nice to see your 442. Good luck with the sale.

Tom
Old April 13th, 2013, 04:32 PM
Administrator

Well me and my Funny Looking Chevelle arived at the show around 8:30, and it was a pleasant drive from Granbury. I think there was about 40-50 cars. Surpisingly most of the cars were from 1968 - 1972. There were a couple of 57's, gorgeous, and Richards 68 a very restore worthy 442. I got a chance to visit with Aaron Nance and his wagon, and the MRS with her Vert. Mr Munoz's orange 442 was beautiful, Rob Young and his lady friend, TomBilse, JimCobb, and Costpenn. Hope I got everyone. I was the only representation of a 64-67 A body.

There was a fine Jetfire, and a beautiful 1960 88.

I also spent time with Gene Crowdis, he was very nice, and explained his side of the issues. It was a very nice visit.

All in all a great trip and a fun show! It was nice to put faces to some of the names here on CO. It was also nice speaking with the other Olds owners and the members of the NTOCA, very nice group of folks! I am going to have to depend on others for pictures as my camera was not working right.

Last edited by oldcutlass; April 13th, 2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old April 13th, 2013, 05:14 PM

I couldn't make it, had to fly. Hopefully someone took some pics..
Old April 13th, 2013, 06:21 PM
car guy

Nice meeting new faces and seeing others that I have not seen in a while. Some very nice cars. Joe's Ralley Red 422 and its attension to detail were incredible. I had to leave a little early to come home and watch the kids. I spent too much time talking I kind of forgot to take pics.

I am dying right now. My job requires long sleeves in the winter so today was the first real sun I have seen since last fall. My arms and neck are bright red. Should have taken a bath in sunscreen. I am going to regret it big time in the morning
Old April 13th, 2013, 06:26 PM

Wanted to be there today, but couldn't make it. However, the Gulf Coast Oldmobile Club has theres next month http://www.texasgulfcoastoldsclub.org/.
Old April 13th, 2013, 07:46 PM

Nice meeting new faces and seeing others that I have not seen in a while. Some very nice cars. Joe's Ralley Red 422 and its attension to detail were incredible. I had to leave a little early to come home and watch the kids. I spent too much time talking I kind of forgot to take pics.

I am dying right now. My job requires long sleeves in the winter so today was the first real sun I have seen since last fall. My arms and neck are bright red. Should have taken a bath in sunscreen. I am going to regret it big time in the morning
Richard, we all look like lobsters. It was a sneaky kind of sunburn, almost everyone at the awards meeting tonite looked like tourists getting off their first Carribbean cruise!!!!

Nice to see all the CO'ers there.
Old April 13th, 2013, 08:22 PM
Administrator

My face glows in the dark.
Old April 13th, 2013, 09:22 PM

Well me and my Funny Looking Chevelle arived at the show around 8:30, and it was a pleasant drive from Granbury. I think there was about 40-50 cars. Surpisingly most of the cars were from 1968 - 1972. There were a couple of 57's, gorgeous, and Richards 68 a very restore worthy 442. I got a chance to visit with Aaron Nance and his wagon, and the MRS with her Vert. Mr Munoz's orange 442 was beautiful, Rob Young and his lady friend, TomBilse, JimCobb, and Costpenn. Hope I got everyone. I was the only representation of a 64-67 A body.

There was a fine Jetfire, and a beautiful 1960 88.

I also spent time with Gene Crowdis, he was very nice, and explained his side of the issues. It was a very nice visit.

All in all a great trip and a fun show! It was nice to put faces to some of the names here on CO. It was also nice speaking with the other Olds owners and the members of the NTOCA, very nice group of folks! I am going to have to depend on others for pictures as my camera was not working right.
Was nice to meet you as well. Absolutely love your car. Carole (wife) and I could only visit for a couple hours, so we did not get the sunburn treatment. Hope to see you again sometime soon.
Tom
Old April 13th, 2013, 09:32 PM
car guy

Richard,
Nice to have met you today and nice to see your 442. Good luck with the sale.

Tom
You too Tom. Picutures of you 68 and seeing other work of the painter tells me its going to be a beautiful car.
Old April 14th, 2013, 05:58 AM

A strong Oklahoma crew was going to come but the Streetrod Nationals were in town the same weekend. Personally I had to get the garden tilled and work done around the house. Hope to make it next year. Hope some took some pics.

Matt
Old April 14th, 2013, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by costpenn
Richard, we all look like lobsters. It was a sneaky kind of sunburn, almost everyone at the awards meeting tonite looked like tourists getting off their first Carribbean cruise!!!!

Nice to see all the CO'ers there.
Joe,
Nice to see you yesterday. Your car is stunning. I hope Frank does half as well with the paint/finish on my car. See you around.
Old April 14th, 2013, 10:37 AM

Well, we arrived a little late, like 12.15 or so. Weather was excellent! It was about 74 for a high, and a nice 15mph SE breeze which felt good. I can see why we all disregarded the sunblock, as we did not feel hot.
I seemed to have been lucky to just get pink, except for the back of my neck, which is red and hurts!
I enjoyed meeting up with Eric, Joe, Richard and Jeff again, and checking out their fine cars. I saw some other members' cars, though those members could not be seen or found.
There were many fine cars out there - all of them in fact! From fully restored ones down to the paper brake line tags to the originals, with years of patina and history in every nook and cranny.
Unfortunately I was too busy taking pictures, walking laps around the pond, and resting that I did not get much of a chance to socialize much. My new desk job has made it difficult for me to stand and walk for over 30 minutes, so this was an excellent opportunity for me to exercise some. I still feel it, but I need to get myself into shape for yard work season!

As for pictures, I have a lot and will take some time to figure which ones to post. Until then, here are a few teaser shots of the group from the south,and from 'across the pond'.

BTW, how many of you knew that our event took place just 6 miles southwest of the town of Rockett, TX? I did not know until I saw the water tower with the name on it. I was barely able to grab this shot in time! Had I'd known, I would have visited the town to get a shot of the town name sign with Lady in it!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_5123.jpg (52.0 KB, 282 views)
IMG_5140.jpg (75.7 KB, 281 views)
IMG_5193.jpg (97.3 KB, 279 views)
IMG_5220.jpg (46.4 KB, 282 views)
rockettsud.jpg (45.7 KB, 281 views)
Old April 14th, 2013, 10:40 AM

Joe,
Nice to see you yesterday. Your car is stunning. I hope Frank does half as well with the paint/finish on my car. See you around.
Tom, thanks to you and Richard and others for the kind words about the car. I'm really hopeful we can work together soon to help the NTOC bring some newer guys - like Rob, Richard, Eric and others into the fold. The whole mandatory membership in the OCA as a pre-qualifier to our group I think is going to be a increasingly important concern.

Good seeing Carole yesterday, and I'm glad you avoided the sunburn the rest of us got!
Old April 14th, 2013, 02:11 PM

I'm sorry I missed it. I got the crud, had a fever all day yesterday. Feel better today but still not right.
Old April 14th, 2013, 02:16 PM

Truly a great time in Waxahachie at the North Texas Zone Show! Great seeing all the guys from CO (sorry I missed you, Rob; saw your car!!!) Thanks for the "teaser" pictures, also, Rob. We couldn''t have asked for a better weekend, including the sunburn. Getting more and more difficult getting the hotels to "work" with us on discounted room rates. The Sleep Inn did a great job, though - $75/night! We raised some good money for our charitable giving at Christmas, and paid all the expenses for the Zone Show. Mainly, all seemed to have just a great, great time. Come on with the rest of the pictures, Rob!
Aron
Old April 14th, 2013, 06:47 PM

Rob: The small town of Rockett, TX (a back way from Waxahachie to IH45
north of Ennis) is SMALL! However, at the curve on that road there is the Rockett Cafe that has one of the bestest Heart Attack Lunch Specials (chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, salad, and green beans or red beans, corn bread and rolls) you will ever eat. You need to schedule a trip there. They close about 2 PM on Sunday.
Aron
Old April 14th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the pic's Rob, look forward to the rest. I agree we need to organise another get together at Dinosaur Valley State Park.
Old April 14th, 2013, 08:16 PM

First timer

As a newbie to this event I just wanted to say that as a group y'all were very welcoming and individually made my wife and I feel very comfortable. We were very impressed by all of the knowledgeable people and the laid back atmosphere, we were very happy we decided to come even though I have my car apart right now. Definently looking forward to more events and getting to know everyone even better, the show was organized so well and the location was excellent.
Old April 14th, 2013, 10:02 PM
car guy

I'm worn out now. Sold the 442 about 3:00 today but agreed to deliver to Houston. Just walked back in the house at 12 midnight
Old April 15th, 2013, 06:00 AM
Administrator

Wtg!
Old April 15th, 2013, 09:29 AM

I'm worn out now. Sold the 442 about 3:00 today but agreed to deliver to Houston. Just walked back in the house at 12 midnight
Congrats on the sale. I had visions of what if I would have bought it, to then have two identical '68's. Then I came back to reality.
If you ever have an opportunity come to McKinney to see mine in progress let me know. I'm sure you'd have some great pointers for me.
Old April 15th, 2013, 11:45 AM

[QUOTE=oldcutlass;534312]Thanks for the pic's Rob, look forward to the rest.
X2
Old April 15th, 2013, 01:05 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by costpenn
Tom, thanks to you and Richard and others for the kind words about the car. I'm really hopeful we can work together soon to help the NTOC bring some newer guys - like Rob, Richard, Eric and others into the fold. The whole mandatory membership in the OCA as a pre-qualifier to our group I think is going to be a increasingly important concern.

Good seeing Carole yesterday, and I'm glad you avoided the sunburn the rest of us got!
I have been a member for about 3 years now. There is a great bunch on people in the local club. Even when I had just joined and barley knew anyone we lost Chloe the club made us feel like we had been members for 10 years with all they did for us. That being said I have only been a part of one other club a long time ago and it was so much more about the cars and hanging out with the cars and people. We had a short meeting and then it was too the parking lot and it was car talk and looking at cars for the next hour or two.

This club on the other hand is much more stuctured and reminds me more of a city council meeting. Its mostly all business and few people even drive there cars to a meeting. Most that do leave 5 min after its over.

The other thing that gets me is lack of internet communication. I can email in and the message is dispatched out but sometimes it a day later. If I need a part local and quick its hard to contact the club as a group on the fly.

Wtg!
Thanks Eric

Congrats on the sale. I had visions of what if I would have bought it, to then have two identical '68's. Then I came back to reality.
If you ever have an opportunity come to McKinney to see mine in progress let me know. I'm sure you'd have some great pointers for me.
Thanks I would love to see it in person some time
Old April 15th, 2013, 07:59 PM

Talking Now for some pictures!

Here are some in no particular order - enjoy!

A blue even nicer than the sky that day!

Love how that interior looks...

My mom's ex neighbors had one of these long ago - I hope they still have it...

Back in black....
Attached Images
IMG_5039.jpg (81.6 KB, 247 views)
IMG_5049.jpg (69.3 KB, 245 views)
IMG_5055.jpg (93.6 KB, 4 views)
IMG_5068.jpg (76.2 KB, 241 views)
IMG_5038.jpg (77.9 KB, 247 views)
Old April 15th, 2013, 08:05 PM

Gene's car always piques my interest!

Aron's car was easy to find, but Aron wasn't...
Attached Images
IMG_5037.jpg (71.5 KB, 249 views)
IMG_5173.jpg (72.0 KB, 243 views)
IMG_5171.jpg (46.9 KB, 245 views)
IMG_5174.jpg (80.5 KB, 247 views)
IMG_5065.jpg (77.4 KB, 244 views)
Old April 15th, 2013, 08:09 PM
NôôB

OH BABY on that black Cutlass S.

Man I wish i could have made it, but thanks for the pictures
Old April 15th, 2013, 08:14 PM

I really like the '49s, and this color really stands out!

Another color I really like:

A nice stock engine bay also.

It is way past my bed time, so i will continue tomorrow - lots more to come!
Attached Images
IMG_5199.jpg (65.4 KB, 243 views)
IMG_5045.jpg (87.2 KB, 248 views)
IMG_5044.jpg (73.4 KB, 246 views)
IMG_5059.jpg (67.0 KB, 245 views)
IMG_5060.jpg (93.1 KB, 247 views)
Old April 15th, 2013, 08:15 PM

Thanks for posting the pics Rob, I managed to catch a ride in Gene's '27 around the show field with Costpenn. Car rode very nice and tight! Sorry we did not happen across one another, I did notice your ride in the adjacent lot. As always, a great show of some very nice cars and great folks/company blessed with fantastic weather! A huge THANK YOU to the people that make it happen!!
Old April 15th, 2013, 08:26 PM

Well, one more batch before I crash...

More tomorrow!
Attached Images
IMG_5143.jpg (67.3 KB, 242 views)
IMG_5144.jpg (89.0 KB, 244 views)
IMG_5061.jpg (76.5 KB, 242 views)
IMG_5147.jpg (86.9 KB, 243 views)